Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Caoimhe you are a ugly spoilt stuckup bitch, do yourself a favour and turn into a lesbian because no man would go near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eldel

Only for Wayne, I'd never laugh at all. Jo and Tommy (most often seen wiping his hands on a tea towel) is a horrendous thought. Never liked Jo either, no redeeming qualities. At least Dermot raises a few corny laughs from time to time. I know everyone's down on Caoimhe at the moment and yes, she is annoying, but Neasa really grates too. She loves being in pain, that one. More Robert please. Bring Cleo back!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 64478339

Whats the story with your man with the short arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Alice1

He is Esther's son. Thalidomide survivor. Suzanne's wannabe squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 64478339

what do ya make of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Does Neasa only have the 1 pair of shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

64478339 wrote: »
    what do ya make of him?

I think he is one of the most interesting and watchable characters in the show. Second to Bryan Murray, of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eldel

Cummybaby wrote: »
    I think he is one of the most interesting and watchable characters in the show. Second to Bryan Murray, of course. :D

+1 Really like him too. Very natural actor. Hope he doesn't slam us when he gets back to the UK;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

God i hate that winey bitch Caoimhe, i wouldnt go near her with a barge poll.

Even when she was wearing that nurse's outfit?? ;)

laura just littered in the street :mad:

She almost got herself knocked down a couple of times as well. She walks across the street with Wayne and doesn't even check to see if there are any cars coming. :eek:

Good job those extras were driving their cars at 2 mph. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I thought Wayne was excellent tonight. He is so funny to watch even when he is being serious. He really thinks he is a ladies man!! :D

Yvoone ( to Caoimhe ) : "No, he got rid of you because you are clingy and desperate ". At least she was honest.....and blunt !!!! :D

I cant seem to warm to Laura at all. Not sure why, but i dont think she will be around for too long.

I am so glad that we have a break from Paul and Niamh. At one stage, they seemed to be in every second scene.

Next weeks episodes look like things will be getting interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

She almost got herself knocked down a couple of times as well. She walks across the street with Wayne and doesn't even check to see if there are any cars coming. :eek:

Good job those extras were driving their cars at 2 mph. ;)
    Yeah she didnt even look at the traffic once. Very careless

I dunno who designed the park in Fair City but it has to be included in the Chelsea Flower Show. Something new happens in it every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The possibility of Yvonne and Laura??

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    The possibility of Yvonne and Laura??

Fingers Crossed ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

laura just littered in the street :mad:

And no one said anything, What about this Carraigstown Tidy Towns that they were all so pasionate about a few weeks back. Another story forgotten about the writers.

max life wrote: »
    Yeah she didnt even look at the traffic once. Very careless

Great example to younger viewers.

I dunno who designed the park in Fair City but it has to be included in the Chelsea Flower Show. Something new happens in it every week.

Its not so long ago it was a graveyard, with two or three people buried there.

Re Last nights programme, how many people can afford to take time off work to attend a haistly organisted BBQ and sports day in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Caoimhe you are a ugly spoilt stuckup bitch, do yourself a favour and turn into a lesbian because no man would go near you.

But a lesbian would....I think I can safely say they're probably not fond of "ugly, spoilt, stuckup bitches" either:pac:

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Re Last nights programme, how many people can afford to take time off work to attend a haistly organisted BBQ and sports day in the park.

I think it stretches belief for the Fair City writers to call it a park. It's the most artificial "park" I've ever seen.

Bit of a random post here but what the hell. I do a course Film and TV and one day my lecture asked the class would they want to work on Fair City. The majority scoffed at the idea thinking the show was muck and beneath them. The lecturer countered by saying that Fair City not only hits its target demographic year in year out but is one of the most important products in the Irish media industry.

Fancy that!:D:D:D

Bit of a random post here but what the hell. I do a course Film and TV and one day my lecture asked the class would they want to work on Fair City. The majority scoffed at the idea thinking the show was muck and beneath them. The lecturer countered by saying that Fair City not only hits its target demographic year in year out but is one of the most important products in the Irish media industry.

Fancy that!:D:D:D

Is there any possibility that your lecturer does a sideline in writing scripts for Fair City? ;)

I have to admit I do watch it but usually the storylines are so unbelievable that I watch it for its comedy value as much as anything else. For instance, the transformation of Barry's character from being a fine upstanding pillar of the community to being a murderer and a drug money launderer in the space of 2 weeks?? :rolleyes: The fact that people coming out of Christy's shop invariably bump into somebody right outside the door?? (It happens in practically every episode). The fact that Turlough had the most unlikliest death ever imaginable?? I found myself laughing at the end of that episode at the sheer incredulity of it all.

I reckon your lecturer is talking through his media studies fundament :D

Is there any possibility that your lecturer does a sideline in writing scripts for Fair City? ;)

I have to admit I do watch it but usually the storylines are so unbelievable that I watch it for its comedy value as much as anything else. For instance, the transformation of Barry's character from being a fine upstanding pillar of the community to being a murderer and a drug money launderer in the space of 2 weeks?? :rolleyes: The fact that people coming out of Christy's shop invariably bump into somebody right outside the door?? (It happens in practically every episode). The fact that Turlough had the most unlikliest death ever imaginable?? I found myself laughing at the end of that episode at the sheer incredulity of it all.

I reckon your lecturer is talking through his media studies fundament :D

Listen you are preaching to the converted. I fully agree with everything you say. The most galling thing for me is that the house interiors never look like anything other than badly constructed sets. Whereas on Corrie or Eastenders the interiors (which are also sets) look and sound realistic. But I suppose what my lecturer was alluding to do was the intrinsic value of the show as oppose to the artistic/creative value. The show is the one of the largest employers of actors, writers etc. in the country and it would devastate the industry if it ceased to exist.

If you want to see how good drama can be done on f*** all money you have to go no further than TG4 (or as my witty cousin likes to call it IRA TV)

I might get crucified for saying this, but in terms of acting and production values, Glenroe always wiped the floor with Fair City. I think the axing of Glenroe was a travesty and was probably decided by a D4 RTE executive who'd never seen a cow in his life and was driven purely by a profit and loss account in front of him on his desk.

I might get crucified for saying this, but in terms of acting and production values, Glenroe always wiped the floor with Fair City. I think the axing of Glenroe was a travesty and was probably decided by a D4 RTE executive who'd never seen a cow in his life and was driven purely by a profit and loss account in front of him on his desk.

Like it or loath it Glenroe was a well made show. Cant take that away from it. Never understood that decision to ax it. The rural population never really recovered after it went. No wonder they turned to crystal meth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Does anyone think the Jo/Tommy affair storyline is utterly ridiculous? The Fair City scriptwriters (as usual, about as subtle as a sledgehammer) spent most of the past couple of weeks turning Dermish, sorry Dermot into a Class A moron so that we would then be capable of "understanding" how Jo could begin an affair with Tommy.

It's not helped by the fact that the actors who play Jo and Tommy couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. The guy who plays Tommy goes around with a permanent smirk on his face so it's impossible to know when he's being serious or when he's joking, and even though the actress playing Jo comes from my home town of Cork, her high-pitched jittery accent is truly awful. Most of the time she sounds like a frustrated Mother Superior. Even though the guy who plays Leo is by far the worst actor in the history of Fair City (and that's saying something folks), the actors playing Jo and Tommy are also now due an honourable mention when it comes to tacky thespianism.

Having said all that, I must now toddle off and watch tonight's episode.... :p
    I can't agree with that. I think the woman who plays Jo is a lovely actress,very convincing in the role. Yes her voice can be abit screechy,but that's just her accent. I think the problem is that FC try too hard to do comedic scenes and they don't always work, ie the plot of land! As if anyone would think that was a romantic gesture. As for Tommy I think he is a fine actor and doing very well. The reason he has a constant smirk on his face is quite simple imo, he's got that kind of face - he's a goodlooking guy.
    I dont like "The Station". I really think they should have revamped McCoys and make it more realistic. Apart from the staff and two or three customers there's hardly ever anyone in the Station. That said, I'm really enjoying FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Again. I agree with the above. But let's not forget Glenroe was only one episode per week. Fair City have four. But FC should concenrtate on their interior and exterior sets. The show badly needs a revamp. And whilst they are at it they should concentrate more on attention to detail generally, eg drinking from empty cups, no steam coming from hot tea/coffee pots etc.
    I think axing Glenroe was a huge mistake, it had great potential, I think they or, TV3 should bring it back or something similar.

rogercar wrote: »
    Again. I agree with the above. But let's not forget Glenroe was only one episode per week. Fair City have four. But FC should concenrtate on their interior and exterior sets. The show badly needs a revamp. And whilst they are at it they should concentrate more on attention to detail generally, eg drinking from empty cups, no steam coming from hot tea/coffee pots etc.
    I think axing Glenroe was a huge mistake, it had great potential, I think they or, TV3 should bring it back or something similar.

I agree with the lack of attention to detail bit. Last week yer man behind the bar (Gina's son, can't remember his name) served a pint to Damo's psycho brother which wasn't poured all the way to the top. It looked as if somebody had poured it out of a 500ml can. In reality, anybody who's been served a pint which isn't properly filled to the top of the glass will send it back immediately. Damo's brother seemed quite happy to sup it. That might sound pedantic but it's always the little things which determine the credibility of a soap as much as anything else.

I still think they've tried to make Dermot look like a moron though. The whole Trabolgan thing, not taking the hint that Jo wanted to go swimming in the nip, 'the grave plot' plot, it's all very badly crowbarred into the storyline to convince us that Jo should have an affair with Tommy with the permanent smirk ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I haven't caught this weeks episodes but I have always felt Dermot to be a very underused and very unappreciated actor in the show. To me, he is one of the best in it. He can do comedy very well and he is equally good in more serious stories.

I hate what Jo is doing to him :(:(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement