Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Saw the repeat.

All I thought was... awkward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭starryeye

I have always thought there are two many characters in Fair City. You get used to a character and then they disappear. I find that a bit annoying. What ever happened to Emma whose father was on the school board? Floyd came back to die and there was no sign whatsoever of Farrah? She never even bothered to show up when her father was getting married to Carol. David is way too old for Suzanne. How long is he going to stay for before he disappears into thin air? How is Yvonne able to get over the fact of having baby Ruth adopted and never let it trouble her in the least? They have an emphasis on adoption in the David story at the moment and not for the first time. This baby Ruth story is happening right now and no one is affected by it at all. They squeeze too much drama into the the lives of the characters too quickly and then there is no follow up at all really. There are stories hanging in mid air with so many implications and consequences for those involved and then the scriptwriters abandon them and get stuck in straight into another story and introduce yet another character to the viewers. I just wish they concentrated more on exploring their many storylines because they do not do justice to some stories.

I'm not saying I want a story to drag on for ever but they could give people a chance to see a few different sides to a character before they whisk them away.
    They should have developed the Bishops a little bit and the Dillons too. We don't really know them at all and yet they dominate so many episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Where has McAleer is it, the guy that tried to buy the pub a few months back, and also is it Mannion. Did he have a child in an affair or was that his wife that had the affair. John, the cop also seems to have gone missing. Ray should tell the lads down the station so that they can start a search, and Myles Byrne is it, the odder cop that he shared an office with also has not been seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Is he the kid from the McDonalds ad who wants to be a van driver like his dad?

What ad is that? Think somebody else said it was him in that ad though.

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    What ad is that? Think somebody else said it was him in that ad though.

The McDonalds one, was mentioned in the post that you were responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Deise Tom wrote: »
    The McDonalds one, was mentioned in the post that you were responding to.

Only reason I ask is that I definitely haven't seen it

The only character that has really developed is Carol over the years. She is a more credible character as a result in my opinion.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Only reason I ask is that I definitely haven't seen it

I dont think i have either.

Dolores has developed but I think too many tragedies occured in her family to make it credible. I think that some of those situations could have been divided between the families rather than heaping all that heartache on one family. Lorraine's tragic death in an earthquake, Jessica's death from an ectasy tablet and Harry murdering Ross and then committing suicide all in a very short space of time. I know it is a soap but I still can't believe all the drama just affecting one person . How does Wayne feel about his father? It doesn't seem to affect him at all even though I do enjoy his comedy scenes. The actor Victor Burke is the original Wayne and is a very good actor. Couldn't the script writers explore the consequences of Harry's tragic descent into despair? Did McAleer ever find out that his daughter, Lauren, had an abortion? As Deise Tom said where is John Deegan? His girlfriend Jennifier also left. Will we ever hear from her again? Does Paul ever think about his son Oisin? Does Nicola ever make a phone call to let him know how his son is? I mean he only has one son. It can't be that difficult to remember him. Does he even miss him? Does Jimmy ever phone his father? Does he ever contact his two sisters? Is he aware that Suzanne's marriage has broken up? Does he even care? Is Jimmy worried about his ill mother ? Does he ever write an email to his family? Does he know he has a new niece whose name is Ruth and that she shares the same father as his other niece Rachel? The show lacks credibility in many ways. In their haste to create more explosive story lines, the script writers have forgotten so many of their existing characters. They seem to tire of them too easily and fail to develop them. Their main focus is the introduction of new faces and new stories on a constant basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

starryeye wrote: »
    Dolores has developed but I think too many tragedies occured in her family to make it credible. I think that some of those situations could have been divided between the families rather than heaping all that heartache on one family only. Lorraine's tragic death in an earthquake, Jessica's death from an ectasy tablet and Harry's suicide and in a very short space of time. I know it is a soap but I still can't believe all the drama just on one person only. Did McAleer ever find out that his daughter, Lauren had an abortion? As Deise Tom said where is John Deegan? His girlfriend Jennifier also left. Will we ever hear from her again? Does Paul ever think about his son Oisin? Does Nicola ever make a phone call to let him know how his son is? I mean he only has one son. It can't be that difficult to remember him. Does he even miss him? Too many characters and the introduction of people related to new characters has made this show suffer. It lacks credibility now.

Jennifer left because she was pregnant in real life. Oisin does get mentioned and normally gets brought in to the show during summer and school holidays. Deegan is around, he has been around during the whole Barry money stuff.

It is a soap, lots of bad things happen to people. That is the way soaps work! You need drama to keep it exciting :D

Where has McAleer is it, the guy that tried to buy the pub a few months back, and also is it Mannion. Did he have a child in an affair or was that his wife that had the affair. John, the cop also seems to have gone missing. Ray should tell the lads down the station so that they can start a search, and Myles Byrne is it, the odder cop that he shared an office with also has not been seen in a long time.

I am guessing that McAleer has left now, I think the pub storyline was his parting storyline I think. There is nothing left in the show for him now. We have had the Annette story, now it is time to move on...

Myles is gone yonks. I do miss Rory though :(

Dolores has developed but I think too many tragedies occured in her family to make it credible. I think that some of those situations could have been divided between the families rather than heaping all that heartache on one family only. Lorraine's tragic death in an earthquake, Jessica's death from an ectasy tablet and Harry murdering Ross and then committing suicide all in a very short space of time. I know it is a soap but I still can't believe all the drama just affecting one person . How does Wayne feel about his father? It doesn't seem to affect him at all even though I do enjoy his comedy scenes. The actor Victor Burke is the original Wayne and is a very good actor. Couldn't the script writers explore the consequences of Harry's tragic descent into despair? Did McAleer ever find out that his daughter, Lauren had an abortion? As Deise Tom said where is John Deegan? His girlfriend Jennifier also left. Will we ever hear from her again? Does Paul ever think about his son Oisin? Does Nicola ever make a phone call to let him know how his son is? I mean he only has one son. It can't be that difficult to remember him. Does he even miss him? Does Jimmy ever phone his father? Does he ever contact his two sisters? Is he aware that Suzanne's marriage has broken up? Does he even care? Is Jimmy worried about his ill mother ? Does he ever write an email to his family? Does he know he has a new niece called Ruth who shares the same father as his other niece Rachel? Too many characters and the introduction of people related to newly introduced characters has made this show suffer. It lacks credibility now. In their haste to create more explosive story lines, the script writers have forgotten so many of their existing characters. They seem to tire of them too easily and fail to develop them. Their main focus is introducing fresh faces and fresh stories.

She was posted to Mayo, i think or was that the other cop, the one that walked up and down the road all day long till something happened. Was he Deegan's son. Fr Art has also gone missing. He was striking up a friendship with Ray for a while. RTE should employ an archavist to look over past programmes, get them to build up a profile and stick to it, and as someone as said, get rid of some of the deadwood in the show and start getting things right and answer the questions been asked here by some of those that watch the programmes and who have pointed out some of its many flaws.

angel01 wrote: »

I do miss Rory though :(

I miss Anne Clarke. Natalie was not bad looking either and Barry's wife, Linda was it. Blonde wan.

I miss Anne Clarke. Natalie was not bad looking either and Barry's wife, Linda was it. Blonde wan.

I thought Anne Clarke was fantastic, I miss her.

I could give more examples of the failures of the soap and I suppose every show has its weaker points but I think it is a shame that some of the characters in Fair City are not developed and are forgotten about very quickly and seem to vanish into thin air constantly.

Drama is essential in a soap Angel01. I do agree with you. I would just like to see my old favourite characters getting a bit more development rather than new characters and brand new situations dominating the show. I think some of the old better known faces are forgotten about and disappear into thin air frequently especially in Fair City.

Perhaps, I have to admit it I enjoyed the old days with Hannah, Eunice, Helen and Paul, Anne Clarke, Paddy Clarke, Johnny One, Clancy, Noeleen, Mags, Linda O'Hanlon and Lily, I know that they didn't have the budget back then or the sets that they have now and some of the acting was not great but there was a special feel to the soap in those days. I do enjoy it now of course but I miss the way you got to know the characters and felt almost like you knew them personally and could like them or dislike them. Perhaps, I am just sentimental at heart and enjoyed it when they portrayed the quintessential dubs. I know I should probably just move with the times but I can't help but miss the original Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Perhaps, I have to admit it I enjoyed the old days with Hannah, Eunice, Helen and Paul, Anne Clarke, Johnny One, Clancy and Noeleen, Mags, Linda O'Hanlon, Lily, I know that they didn't have the budget back then or the sets that they have now and some of the acting was not great but there was a special feel to the soap in those days. I do enjoy it now of course but I miss the way you got to know the characters and almost and felt you almost knew them personally and could like them or dislike them. Perhaps, I am just sentimental at heart.
    Paddy Clarke ha ha ha :D:D:D

• Advertisement

I have no problem with characters moving on. After all that is what happens in real life. However, I feel some of the old characters could be brought back and given storylines.
    e.g Farrah, Robin, Louise, Darren, Jimmy, Mondo, Kira, Catriona, Angela, Lauren, Hughie and Natalie, Oisin, Nicola, Miles Byrne, etc. Tracey might at least make a phone call to Carol again. Please don't forget the old characters Fair City if you read these boards at all? Bring them back a little bit more frequently. Let us know how they got on in their new lives once in a while. We watched them on the show and have not forgotten them. The characters seem to have forgotten them in Carraigstown. If you can't make them physically appear on our screens you could always get them to ring or write to their friends or family or former work mates who would keep us the viewers up to date with their new lives. Thanks.

Angel, Drama does make a soap exciting. I do know that and my degree in English and Drama has enabled me to realise what is essential in drama. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

I want to say thank you to Deise Tom and Mrs D007 for not dismissing my comments and for appreciating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I was listening to Joe Duffy the other day and Kate Thompson (Wayne's cougar wife) was on speaking about cycling difficulties in Dublin City. Anyway it came to light that the actress is being treated for breast cancer at the moment. I wish her a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Jo said last night that Dermot was getting a train to Belfast at 7.30. He'd have been out of luck as the Enterprise leaves Connolly station at 7.00 and the next one isn't till 8:50.....

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

deelite wrote: »
    I was listening to Joe Duffy the other day and Kate Thompson (Wayne's cougar wife) was on speaking about cycling difficulties in Dublin City. Anyway it came to light that the actress is being treated for breast cancer at the moment. I wish her a speedy recovery.

i was thinking there was something up alright. i copped she was wearing a wig when she was in FC. get well soon.

I have no problem with characters moving on. After all that is what happens in real life. However, I feel some of the old characters could be brought back and given storylines.
    e.g Farrah, Robin, Louise, Darren, Jimmy, Mondo, Kira, Catriona, Angela, Lauren, Hughie and Natalie, Oisin, Nicola, Miles Byrne, etc. Tracey might at least make a phone call to Carol again. Please don't forget the old characters Fair City if you read these boards at all? Bring them back a little bit more frequently. Let us know how they got on in their new lives once in a while. We watched them on the show and have not forgotten them. The characters seem to have forgotten them in Carraigstown. If you can't make them physically appear on our screens you could always get them to ring or write to their friends or family or former work mates who would keep us the viewers up to date with their new lives. Thanks.

If the actors that played these parts do not want to be part of the show again, or have given up the acting game, the part could be recast. It would not be the first time it has happened. I know, it happens in all the soaps, but Fair City seem to do it more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Perhaps, I have to admit it I enjoyed the old days with Hannah, Eunice, Helen and Paul, Anne Clarke, Paddy Clarke, Johnny One, Clancy, Noeleen, Mags, Linda O'Hanlon and Lily,

jaysus they were the days eh? didnt clancy have an affair with anne clarke? paddy went to work on a cruise ship, eunice was hilarious when she'd be singing, always remember her saying to hannah "sure you've georgous arms, arms a docker would envy".:D
    cant remember lily at all????????

Perhaps, I have to admit it I enjoyed the old days with Hannah, Eunice, Helen and Paul, Anne Clarke, Paddy Clarke, Johnny One, Clancy, Noeleen, Mags, Linda O'Hanlon and Lily,

jaysus they were the days eh? didnt clancy have an affair with anne clarke? paddy went to work on a cruise ship, eunice was hilarious when she'd be singing, always remember her saying to hannah "sure you've georgous arms, arms a docker would envy".:D
    cant remember lily at all????????

Lilly was Johnny One's aunt i think. She was in Ballykissangel after Fair City. She worked in the SHop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I am so bad for remembering past characters. Remember Donal that worked in Blue Dolphin with Paul, Nicola & Niamh. He has a son in it at one point. What was his name? Now he was eye candy!! ;):p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement