Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ha forgot about Donal Maher! Didnt he run off with Nicola's sister.?
    Think sons name was Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Ha forgot about Donal Maher! Didnt he run off with Nicola's sister.?
    Think sons name was Brian.

Did he look like Deegan or is that just me? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Kazbah wrote: »
    I am so bad for remembering past characters. Remember Donal that worked in Blue Dolphin with Paul, Nicola & Niamh. He has a son in it at one point. What was his name? Now he was eye candy!! ;):p

Brian.

Anyone remember the Bowen family who were in it during the first season (1989 - 1990)?
    Mother was a doctor, daughter Claire, son Tom. They had a narky old grandfather played by a well known cranky actor. Can't remember his name.

The woman who played Dr Bowen came back into the show 15 years later as Seamus Mannion's long-suffering wife.

Anyone remember Frank with the Magnum P.I tash :D
    Was some man for the old wans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

frank was the painter/decorator that fancied dolores??? did they have it off? think he was actually in the circus in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

STIG83 wrote: »
    Ben is so weird looking, he is as weird as that kid in The Middle.

And not half as cool!!

God be with the days of Billy Meehan!

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Did he look like Deegan or is that just me? :confused:

getImage.aspx?id=1554&size=thumb000317b7-314.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

angel01 wrote: »
    Myles is gone yonks. I do miss Rory though :(

I think it was his voice that I heard when I rang the PAYE helpline. As in his voice recorded on the machine, not manning the phones :D

frank was the painter/decorator that fancied dolores??? did they have it off? think he was actually in the circus in real life.

He has a great voice for radio adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

getImage.aspx?id=1554&size=thumb000317b7-314.jpg

feckin image of eachother! very same bags under the eyes an all!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭starryeye

The actress who played Helen Doyle (Kira Carroll).

Did she ever act again after leaving Fair City?

I think Frank was Jessica's father. He looked like a thinner version of Harry Molloy. Remember when a friend of Dolores had an affair with Harry. She had an annoying accent. It was an affair that was uncomfortable to watch. It was as unpleasant to watch as Jo and Tommy are at the moment. I remember when Wayne was best friends with Jimmy. Wayne had all these get rich quick schemes which never worked. He was very funny back then too. Is it just me or does Robert look like Fr. Dougal in Fr. Ted?

I would love to see Mondo coming back and having a few scenes with Wayne and Robert.
    I would like to see Wayne and Robert's characters develop. There has not been much on Robert after Cleo left. A little appearance here and there. He has not got a big storyline for ages. I hope the actor doesn't get fed up and move on to other things if he is not getting much of a part in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Haha,good old Frank ("I was in the area and I just dropped in for a coffee") when he was trying to woo Dolores :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Does anyone remember Barry O'Hanlon's mammy?

doreen-keogh.png

Doreen Keogh went on to play "Mary" in "The Royle Family" years later.

I thought the storyline involving Rory and Lorcan was a very interesting plot. I think that Rory treated Carol badly when he decided not to be with her anymore. He was very similar to Louie in his initial relationship with her and then he decided his job was more important and did not want Carol anymore. I lost my respect for him then. It is no wonder Carol was so confused and worried about safe Christy or lovestruck Louie. Rory killed her son ( in self defence) and then decided after a bit of romance that she wasn't his soul mate after all. It is no wonder someone with Carol's history would be hesitant about having a partner after Billy Meehan and Sylvie what ever his name was. It is a pity Dolores did not get get to know him. He looked like both Frank and Harry. I wonder if she could have persuaded him to run a charity shop. It might just have kept him out of prison.

I remember Mary O'Hanlon but it is a vague memory. I thought Hannah was a great old character. She had a great laugh and was a tonic to listen to with her wise cracks and mischief. It was very entertaining to see her and Eunice in a scene together. They were real gems and I miss them in the show now. Hannah never missed a trick and knew how to help others without giving a lecture or judging them. It was always done in her own unique way.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

He reminded me of Pat Mustard from Father Ted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

starryeye wrote: »
    Remember when a friend of Dolores had an affair with Harry.

Shelly!

She played the woman who was a victim of domestic violence in The Clinic, her husband knocked down and killed pregnant Dr. Cathy. It annoyed me for so long where I had seen her before.

Mmmmm Brian that was him. The best looking fella to grace Carrigstown!
    Donal & John defo separated at birth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

The actress who played Helen Doyle (Kira Carroll).

Did she ever act again after leaving Fair City?

No I don't think she did, I don't even know what happened to her, I really liked her as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Are Ciara Carroll (Helen) and Claudia Carroll (Nicola) sisters in real life? I think they are!

Forgive me but there's an awful lot of silly nit picking in this thread. This thing about old departed charachters not being in touch. I don't think you're meant to assume that charachters are put in a fridge except when they're on screen. I think we're supposed to assume they have normal lives going on all day where they have normal activities such as sending\reading emails\letters or making\taking phone calls to\from friends and relatives. You don't see the charachters eating and sleeping much either. That doesn't mean it's implied that they don't eat or sleep.

Whatever happened to old Corrie charachters such as Martin and Sarah Platt. Or Terry Duckworth. Or Bet Lynch, Alec Gilroy, Reg Holdsworth, Curly and Raquel Watts, Les Battersby, The Battersby daughter, Andy McDonald, etc etc etc. There's dozens of them, most of which had or have relatives and friends on the street long after their departure but were never referred to again. Nor should they be. Nor should they be in Fair City either!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Are Ciara Carroll (Helen) and Claudia Carroll (Nicola) sisters in real life? I think they are!

Forgive me but there's an awful lot of silly nit picking in this thread. This thing about old departed charachters not being in touch. I don't think you're meant to assume that charachters are put in a fridge except when they're on screen. I think we're supposed to assume they have normal lives going on all day where they have normal activities such as sending\reading emails\letters or making\taking phone calls to\from friends and relatives. You don't see the charachters eating and sleeping much either. That doesn't mean it's implied that they don't eat or sleep.

Whatever happened to old Corrie charachters such as Martin and Sarah Platt. Or Terry Duckworth. Or Bet Lynch, Alec Gilroy, Reg Holdsworth, Curly and Raquel Watts, Les Battersby, The Battersby daughter, Andy McDonald, etc etc etc. There's dozens of them, most of which had or have relatives and friends on the street long after their departure but were never referred to again. Nor should they be. Nor should they be in Fair City either!

People need to realise it is a soap, characters come and go, they will not be mentioned all the time but you are presuming that they stay in touch in other means. I know Christy has had phone calls from his daughter now and then, she even implied that she phoned and said she couldn't make the wedding.. I think she is supposed to be living quite far away..

It is not a documentary of people's lives, characters come, characters go, they can't bring back every single character, most presumably because they won't have a storyline or budget to keep bringing characters back. What happens if the actor/actress doesn't want to come back? they will have to get someone else to play them.

You can't bring everyone back. Carol spoke to Tracey before her wedding and has presumably been in touch (off screen). We don't need to see every flaming thing.

On a sidenote, it is so nice to see old characters being talked about! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Isn't Frank the Halpins uncle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Barry O'Hanlon's mammy?

doreen-keogh.png

Doreen Keogh went on to play "Mary" in "The Royle Family" years later.

Back in the 60's she played a barmaid in Coronation Street too, making her first appearance back in episode 5!

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Doreen_Keogh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Laois_Man wrote: »

Andy McDonald is mentioned from time to time! In fact this week Steve went away to meet up with him to celebrate their birthdays.

Angel, Drama does make a soap exciting. I do know that and my degree in English and Drama has enabled me to realise what is essential in drama. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

There really is no need to get snotty...

No matter how many times Caoimhe is on screen, I don't think I will ever warm to her :(

Absolutely loved Wayne again this week, I like the way he interacts with Damien, you can just tell how well these two guys must get on (off screen) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

^^ That's head-wrecking. Those guys are the male equivalent of Caoimhe Dillon. :pac:
    If you don't want to waste nearly 7 minutes scroll along to the 6 min 30 second mark where you'll get about 30 seconds of the Fair City set.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Kazbah wrote: »
    I am so bad for remembering past characters. Remember Donal that worked in Blue Dolphin with Paul, Nicola & Niamh. He has a son in it at one point. What was his name? Now he was eye candy!! ;):p

Was it Nicola or her sister that was the childs mother.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

He was Dolores' daughters father wasnt he.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement