Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Barry O'Hanlon's mammy?

doreen-keogh.png

Doreen Keogh went on to play "Mary" in "The Royle Family" years later.

Was it Concumpta??? she was in Coronation Street.

starryeye wrote: »
    I thought the storyline involving Rory and Lorcan was a very interesting plot. I think that Rory treated Carol badly when he decided not to be with her anymore. He was very similar to Louie in his initial relationship with her and then he decided his job was more important and did not want Carol anymore. I lost my respect for him then. It is no wonder Carol was so confused and worried about safe Christy or lovestruck Louie. Rory killed her son ( in self defence) and then decided after a bit of romance that she wasn't his soul mate after all. It is no wonder someone with Carol's history would be hesitant about having a partner after Billy Meehan and Sylvie what ever his name was. It is a pity Dolores did not get get to know him. He looked like both Frank and Harry. I wonder if she could have persuaded him to run a charity shop. It might just have kept him out of prison.

Carol would have been better of staying with Christy. All the fellows mentioned above that she went out with were only really interested in themselves and maybe their bank balance.

What ever happened to the first fellow that came to Carraigstown claiming to be Louis. Weren't they related some way.

angel01 wrote: »
    People need to realise it is a soap, characters come and go, they will not be mentioned all the time but you are presuming that they stay in touch in other means. I know Christy has had phone calls from his daughter now and then, she even implied that she phoned and said she couldn't make the wedding.. I think she is supposed to be living quite far away..

It is not a documentary of people's lives, characters come, characters go, they can't bring back every single character, most presumably because they won't have a storyline or budget to keep bringing characters back. What happens if the actor/actress doesn't want to come back? they will have to get someone else to play them.

You can't bring everyone back. Carol spoke to Tracey before her wedding and has presumably been in touch (off screen). We don't need to see every flaming thing.

On a sidenote, it is so nice to see old characters being talked about! :)

Where would you consider to be far away these days. Its not like 30 or 40 years ago when some place in England was very far away, when now adays they are just over an hour from most of our airports. Even parts of Ireland seemed far away back then.

The far away thing for a wedding is a lame excuse for not showing up in my view. Carol and Christy were planning it for months, and if Christy and Farrah had any kind of a relationship, he would have told her months previously and she would have worked things out to be at the wedding. The same with Hughie, Christy's only brother. Was there a reason why he could not be at the wedding. Didnt they have a first cousin in the show at one stage. maybe he is still in it. I cant remember who it was. Was it Malachy?

Shakyfan wrote: »
    Andy McDonald is mentioned from time to time! In fact this week Steve went away to meet up with him to celebrate their birthdays.

Sarah also gets mentioned. David also from time to time mentions Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

What the hell is this sh1te!! Most irritating guys ever!

• Advertisement

Bloody airheads.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    ^^ That's head-wrecking. Those guys are the male equivalent of Caoimhe Dillon. :pac:
    If you don't want to waste nearly 7 minutes scroll along to the 6 min 30 second mark where you'll get about 30 seconds of the Fair City set.

Even the 30 seconds or so of Fair City that is show is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Fine I was just trying to show a clip of the set for those that haven't been at the set. I never claimed that the clip was fab.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Where would you consider to be far away these days. Its not like 30 or 40 years ago when some place in England was very far away, when now adays they are just over an hour from most of our airports. Even parts of Ireland seemed far away back then.

The far away thing for a wedding is a lame excuse for not showing up in my view. Carol and Christy were planning it for months, and if Christy and Farrah had any kind of a relationship, he would have told her months previously and she would have worked things out to be at the wedding. The same with Hughie, Christy's only brother. Was there a reason why he could not be at the wedding. Didnt they have a first cousin in the show at one stage. maybe he is still in it. I cant remember who it was. Was it Malachy?

Anywhere can be far away if you can't get to it, not everyone can hop on a plane and while you were at it, you will remember Christy going to visit Hughie in Barbados then... :rolleyes:

My brother lives in England but I can't afford to visit him so yes, it can be far away.

You don't seem to get it, it is a soap. The producers/writers didn't want to bring them back, It is not real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Carol and Christy were planning it for months, and if Christy and Farrah had any kind of a relationship, he would have told her months previously and she would have worked things out to be at the wedding.
    I think they actually did address this at one point in a phone call between Christy and Farrah. There was some reason Farrah couldn't get time off and it was something to do with her job where it was difficult for her to get time off or plan a break.
    I'm not sure if it was addressed in relation to Christy's wedding or her brother's death/burial but at least some attempt was made to address the fact that she wasn't there when she would have been expected to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭starryeye

There really is no need to get snotty...

I think that pointing out that Fair City is just a soap or that drama requires excitement is like stating the obvious to people. Informing you of my background was my way of showing you that I am not an ignorant person who doesn't have any knowledge and needs it spelt out in black and white like someone would with a person who doesn't have much upstairs if you get my drift.
    I generally enjoy your comments but please don't assume I don't know anything.

[You don't seem to get it, it is a soap. The producers/writers didn't want to bring them back, It is not real life.[/QUOTE]

Stating the obvious and defending Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'd say Farrah's absence is due to the fact that the Fair City producers couldn't justify yet another recast of her character. There's already been three Farrahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jenny30

Is he the kid from the McDonalds ad who wants to be a van driver like his dad?
    BEN'S a little stunner. loving him...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jenny30

I remember Mary O'Hanlon but it is a vague memory. I thought Hannah was a great old character. She had a great laugh and was a tonic to listen to with her wise cracks and mischief. It was very entertaining to see her and Eunice in a scene together. They were real gems and I miss them in the show now. Hannah never missed a trick and knew how to help others without giving a lecture or judging them. It was always done in her own unique way.
    oh yea I remember Hannah she was fantastic

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I think they actually did address this at one point in a phone call between Christy and Farrah. There was some reason Farrah couldn't get time off and it was something to do with her job where it was difficult for her to get time off or plan a break.
    I'm not sure if it was addressed in relation to Christy's wedding or her brother's death/burial but at least some attempt was made to address the fact that she wasn't there when she would have been expected to be.

Thanks for reminding me that there was a mention of Farrah's reason for not coming to the wedding. I am glad that at least an attempt was made to acknowledge that Christy had a daughter called Farrah and many would assume she would attend the wedding of her father.

Soaps are not real life but they do have to follow the pattern of life to be credible to the viewer. It is the fact that they are based on real life which helps make for compelling viewing.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I'd say Farrah's absence is due to the fact that the Fair City producers couldn't justify yet another recast of her character. There's already been three Farrahs.

I agree with you. However, it seems extraordinary that not one of the three Farrah's were available to play the part in one episode.

[You don't seem to get it, it is a soap. The producers/writers didn't want to bring them back, It is not real life.

Stating the obvious and defending Fair City.[/QUOTE]

Why can't I defend the show if I want to, I love the soap and have no qualms about saying so. It isn't a crime to be a huge fan of the show and it is my favourite soap.

Not everything they do right but I enjoy watching the show and will continue to do so. :)

Stating the obvious and defending Fair City.

Why can't I defend the show if I want to, I love the soap and have no qualms about saying so. It isn't a crime to be a huge fan of the show and it is my favourite soap.

Not everything they do right but I enjoy watching the show and will continue to do so. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you enjoy Fair City and agree with me that Wayne and Robert are good characters in the show. I think Wayne is actually my favourite to be honest and I think his attempts to juggle the cocktails in Damien's kitchen was extremely funny. I hope that there are lots of more laughs in the future. My opinion is just an opinion Angel. I assure you I am not here to defend Fair City or abuse it.

I'm glad you enjoy it. I don't think you are capable of discussing the show without being biased. It comes across as if you are employed by Fair City and are here to defend it and protect it from any negative comments. This is a discussion forum and should be open to all views. If you are just speaking as a huge fan of the show I hope you continue to enjoy it like all the fans do here but please respect an alternative point of view. I feel that you dismiss the comments that do not speak in favour of the show.

You are clearly selecting what posts you choose to read by me, I have said negative things about the show in recent weeks, I suggest you read back on my old posts.

I won't change the way I post and I of course, respect any alternative views, I may not agree with them but I respect them. I suggest the respect goes two ways.

I don't know why you choose to want to pick apart my posts, still I will continue to love the show and post the things I want to post. I don't have to post negatively if I don't want to, I in general (just like in real life) prefer to focus on the positive rather than the negative.

I will include some of my recent negative opinions, in case somehow you have missed them:
    I think there were glimpses of the possibility of the affair with Jo & Tommy for a few weeks, I remember them getting on well (around the window box time) but in the end, it was all too rushed and unrealistic.

Dean & Yvonne is just bizarre and the idea of Dean suddenly pulling all these women, doesn't wash with me...
    I have finally caught up as I had nearly 2 weeks of episodes to watch... a few thoughts that I have...

How has suddenly Dean seemed to be the most amazing sex god and have the powers that woman seem drawn to him all of a sudden, Unrealistic and totally ridiculous storyline. All these women are flocking around him and why did he need to sleep with that Richie one (especially with the Tracey link)

Caoimhe has to be the most irritating person to have hit Carrigstown, the faces she puts on, her general behaviour... aargh.

I am actually liking the storyline with Jo & Dermot but I really wish she wouldn't go down that route with Tommy as Dermot is a nice guy but probably doesn't realise what he is doing and pushing Jo away

The Suzanne & David storyline is good to watch and I do quite like him, he has settled into that part well.. I like his scenes with Esther, I do really like Esther, she plays that part superbly.

The more I see of the Station, the more I can't take it seriously, the thing with the tips was stupid, Caoimhe announced to a pub that had maybe 3 people in it... The sets are just too small. Where is the actual ovens/grills in Vinos for instance? Nowhere to be seen in the back room... and as for Phelans, that has hardly anything in it lol...
    I agree with you.. I can't stand her at all. She is quite poor and very much a weak link in that family...

I loved the scene with Louie, Carol and Bob.. Louie's face was a picture
    That roughing up scene was terrible, the guy was wooden and hardly moved and as for Charlie... I won't say a word!! Still I do like Esther & Charlie together...

• Advertisement

Not everything they do right but I enjoy watching the show and will continue to do so. :)

I'm glad you enjoy Fair City and agree with me that Wayne and Robert are good characters in the show. I think Wayne is actually my favourite to be honest and I think his attempts to juggle the cocktails in Damien's kitchen was extremely funny. I hope that there are lots of more laughs in the future. My opinion is just an opinion Angel. I assure you I am not here to defend Fair City or abuse it.[/QUOTE]

Dont think anyone on here is, or not too many are anyway, but everyone should be allowed to express an opinion, especially when it is pointing out things that people feel should or could be done better. It should be seen as nothing more than constrctive critism.

You didn't respect my posts when you called me snotty because I have a bit of a background in drama. You stated the obvious as if I didn't know it was a soap. That is like telling someone that the ocean is full of water if they are going to the seaside. No, I don't think you showed any respect to my opinion on that occasion Angel.

To Deise Tom, I know that the majority of people on here are not here to defend or abuse Fair City and I agree with you that there is nothing more valuable in a discussion then constructive criticism and I have found this discussion to be extremely interesting. I was making that point to Angel only as I don't think she was letting me have my say at that time. I appreciate it is her favourite soap and when I write anything negative I wish to assure her that it is not just for the sake of being negative so there is no need for Angel to be so defensive.

To Angel,
    I know you have made some posts which do not praise Fair City but please let me be as free to do so too and please acknowledge that you are biased in general in favour of this show. I know I am not the first person to have noticed it.

You didn't respect my posts when you called me snotty because I have a bit of a background in drama. You stated the obvious as if I didn't know it was a soap. That is like telling someone that the ocean is full of water if they are going to the seaside. No, I don't think you showed any respect to my opinion on that occasion Angel.

To Deise Tom, I know that the majority of people on here are not here to defend or abuse Fair City and I agree with you that there is nothing more valuable in a discussion then constructive criticism and I have found this discussion to be extremely interesting. I was making that point to Angel only as I don't think she was letting me have my say at that time. I appreciate it is her favourite soap and when I write anything negative I wish to assure her that it is not just for the sake of being negative so there is no need for Angel to be so defensive.

Was agreeing with what you were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Anywhere can be far away if you can't get to it, not everyone can hop on a plane and while you were at it, you will remember Christy going to visit Hughie in Barbados then... :rolleyes:

That's right, he broke his leg or something. He also came back for Eunice's funeral, and he's been mentioned a few times since then.

The ones I'm surprised not to have heard about are Paul Brennan's brother, who shoul dbe out of prison by now, and his mother. They were all over it for a while, but they kind of disappeared. That being said, I love the way Rita is still such a part of the show even though we don't get to see her on screen.

Thank you Deise Tom. I'm sorry for not understanding you.

Rita's condition highlights the situation that residents in nursing homes can find themselves in. Those people are extremely vulnerable and it is hard for the family to cope with their physical, frail condition when they were always so full of life. Life can be very hard. The current news stories have also highlighted the devastating lack of care in some nursing homes. Perhaps, it would be interesting to see if this topical issue could be brought into Fair City. Good to see Bela's devotion to his sick wife Rita. He wasn't exactly a model husband in his younger days.
    I thought the story of Linda O'Hanlon and their baby daughter Alice dying was a great storyline at the time. It shows how complicated people can make their lives and how unhappy it can become after an affair. I think it makes you more aware that your actions can have serious consequences.

Could someone remind me what happened to Eunice's husband Clive?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Could someone remind me what happened to Eunice's husband Clive?

oh ya! was he an englishman, always wore a blazer and cravat? think they went off on a cruise and he died?????

Rita's condition highlights the situation that residents in nursing homes can find themselves in. Those people are extremely vulnerable and it is hard for the family to cope with their physical, frail condition when they were always so full of life. Life can be very hard. The current news stories have also highlighted the devastating lack of care in some nursing homes. Perhaps, it would be interesting to see if this topical issue could be brought into Fair City. Good to see Bela's devotion to his sick wife Rita. He wasn't exactly a model husband in his younger days.
    I thought the story of Linda O'Hanlon and their baby daughter Alice dying was a great storyline at the time. It shows how complicated people can make their lives and how unhappy it can become after an affair. I think it makes you more aware that your actions can have serious consequences.

I remember Linda, said during the week she is one of the characters that should be brought back. Was Barry or Bella the father of the child that you referred to or was it somepne else. Cant remember her having one. You will have to refresh my memory. Where are they now.

• Advertisement

oh ya! was he an englishman, always wore a blazer and cravat? think they went off on a cruise and he died?????

Was it Pascal that died on the cruise. He worked in McCoys, i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement