Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Sunday Aug 7th
    Decco discovers that Cass intends to compete with Eileen's DVD business and is far from happy. Mark's first job for the Bishops is to tackle the rival business. Jo gives Orla tickets to a charity ball and tells Orla her relationship is over. She covers it well but Orla senses that she is putting a brave face on it.

Tommy is testy at home with Dearbhla. Judith tells him not to be harsh on her and they agree to go out for a drink that night. Jo is disappointed when Dermot chooses to work instead of spending the day together as they had planned. Tommy and Jo have their first encounter since the break-up. It's awkward, but they get through it and Tommy seems to accept that the fling is over. Barry talks to Dearbhla, who is still upset about the near-accident. It feels good to be helping someone and he is glad to feel purposeful again. He also retracts his resignation from the committee.

Mark is horrified to discover that the stall he must smash belongs to Cass. He tries a different tactic by telling Cass that the guards are clamping down on illegal imports. When that doesn't work, he tries to badmouth him in front of Tommy who tells him to get out of the market. Dermot confides to Jo that he is confused by all Orla's recent attention and that he thinks she is hitting on him. Jo is trying hard to build bridges with him. Tensions rise when Decco challenges Mark on taking the soft way out in tackling Cass. Eileen is angry when she hears of what Decco had in mind.

Wayne considers going into business with Cass, and Denzo warns Mark that Decco won't forgive him. Jo, Orla and Dermot end up laughing about the misunderstanding over a drink. Tommy and Judith enter the bar and Dermot goes over to see if they can help with babysitting Ben if he takes Jo away for a night.

Barry tries to make a clean break from Denzo for once and for all and move on with his life, but Denzo is not making it easy. When Mark, Pete and Wayne sit down to watch the film they discover that Cass's DVDs are fake. Jo is very touched by Dermot's romantic gesture of a weekend away, but a little thrown when she learns that it's the Dillons who are in the frame to babysit.

Tuesday, Aug 9th
    Dolores is suspicious when Tommy reveals that Mark stopped Cass from selling bootleg DVDs in the market. She tries and fails to convince Wayne that Mark has gone straight. Mark and Decco continue to be at loggerheads and after Mark winds him up, Decco attempts to get Mark thrown out of Dolores's when he tells her that Mark doesn't have a job. Dolores is furious that Mark lied to her but stands up to Decco. She packs his bags and prepares to throw him out.

Denzo calls to see Dolores and plead Mark's case. Dolores relents just as Mark arrives back to the house to see his packed bags in the hall. He is about to pick up his bags and go when Dolores tells him she will give him another chance. Denzo is delighted that he's in Dolores's good books.

Jo is unsure about whether or not she and Dermot should go ahead with their romantic night in a hotel, especially when Tommy collects Ben to babysit. Dermot's efforts win her over and she's persuaded even though she's anxious she will be recognised by the hotel staff, having been there with Tommy recently. She suggests they go to the hotel incognito and pretend they don't know each other, much to Dermot's delight.

However, once she gets there her worst fears are realised when the receptionist recognises her immediately. She resolves not to leave the hotel room and has to use her feminine wiles to persuade Dermot to stay in the room. Things work out well until a mishap with handcuffs causes embarrassment with room service. However, their romantic night away convinces Jo of how much she loves Dermot.

Pete accidentally ruins Orla's expensive designer dress, but despite Damien's warnings he tries to cover up what he's done. He fails to fool her with a replacement dress from the charity shop and she furiously accuses him of ruining the big event she was attending.

Wednesday, Aug 10th
    Jo and Dermot make the most of their time in the hotel before having to check out, and Jo realises why she still loves him. However, Jo is embarrassed when the hotel offers her a loyalty card as she checks out. When Dermot suggests bringing Tommy and Judith for a drink to thank them for looking after Ben, Jo is initially lukewarm.

Later when she collects Ben she sees Tommy, and her resolve crumbles when he reassures her that they're having fun and hurting no-one. As Jo and Ben take their leave of Tommy, Orla spots them and realises that Tommy is Jo's mystery man. She warns Jo that she is heading for heartbreak, but Jo doesn't want to hear it and tells Orla to mind her own business. Later that night, Jo and Dermot meet Tommy and Judith for a drink in McCoys. Jo is left devastated when Tommy confides that he is taking Judith away to Paris for a romantic weekend break.

Niamh notices that Orla is making a habit of letting her pay for coffee so isn't very sympathetic when Orla complains to her that Pete ruined her expensive designer dress. Orla resolves to buy another dress but without funds has to ask Niamh to use her credit card. Niamh can't oblige but Dermot does reluctantly when Orla promises to pay him back by Friday. As she buys the dress online, she briefly considers also buying a pair of shoes, but resists the temptation.

Decco is annoyed when Denzo sides with Mark over him. He tries to ingratiate himself with Mark by offering him an easy, lucrative job but Mark doesn't want to know. Decco asks Denzo to talk Mark around. Dolores convinces Damien and Pete to give Mark work, but when Pete offers it to him he turns him down flat. Denzo persuades Mark to hear Decco out and Mark agrees to deliver some mobiles for Decco in return for €100. Wayne spots Mark taking the cash and tackles him about it. However, Mark is furious when he discovers Decco has set him up and he falls out with both Decco and Denzo. He tells them he is finished with them and accepts the job from Pete.

Thursday, August 11th
    Mark tells Denzo that he wants nothing more to do with the Bishops, but he's so subdued after this that Dolores becomes suspicious. When Decco learns from Denzo that Mark has taken a straight job with Damien and Pete, he tries to tempt him back with an offer to cut him in on a robbery of the office where Mark is working. Decco winds Mark up and tells him he'll never go straight. Although Mark is unsettled by this, he ejects Decco from the office. Unseen by Mark, Decco pockets the spare keys to the office.

Despite Pete's attempts to stick up for him, Mark broods over Decco's taunts, eventually exploding, first at Damien and Pete and then at Ray. Although Pete is keen to give him a second chance, Damien tells Mark he's finished with him and Mark resigns before he gets fired. Later, Mark confides to Dolores and Pete his despair over his inability to control his temper.

Jo struggles to hide her jealousy over Tommy and Judith's Paris trip and is cool with Tommy. Tommy is unsettled by a disapproving look from Orla and wants reassurance from Jo that she has said nothing to her. When Orla accidentally (on purpose) lets slip that Tommy will be taking Judith to Paris, Judith is surprised and delighted but Jo is jealous and upset.

Orla promises Jo she will not be doing any more finger-wagging over her affair with Tommy, but unsuccessfully tries to persuade her not to torture herself watching Tommy and Judith together. Later in McCoys, Jo makes a point of overcompensating with Dermot for Tommy's benefit.

Niamh warns Orla about living beyond her means, but her warning falls on deaf ears when Orla decides to hold onto the money she owes Dermot so she can go on a boozy night out with Caoimhe. When Niamh finds out she tackles Orla, accusing her of not acting her age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Plus he's hard face looks like he wants to do a poo :p

'I want to do a poo at Paul's house.' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Fittle wrote: »
    Yeah, that 'psycho face' seems to appear out of nowhere and the camera does a close up. I thought the whole 'Everyone is this room loves you mark....we are doing an intervention' was VERY Dr. Phil....

I think the bishops are the most 'real' of the whole cast to be honest.

If by "real", you mean one dimensional and should be in the panto, then i agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

pavcro10 wrote: »
    If by "real", you mean one dimensional and should be in the panto, then i agree with you

I mean 'believable'....I think some of them are quite good actors actually - so much better than Charlie and esther and Cass for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

angel01 wrote: »
    Sunday Aug 7th

After reading all that - it doesn't appear to be getting exciting any time soon does it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

I mean 'believable'....I think some of them are quite good actors actually - so much better than Charlie and esther and Cass for example!

I don't agree. I think the opposite. IMO, The Bishops aren't really believable but I think Cass and Charlie are really good actors. It took me a while to warm to Esther but I like her now. I think she plays the nosey busybody really well.

I don't think Leo is a very good actor but I enjoy his character and I'd like to see him involved in a storyline again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is anyone else thinking that the Bishops might frame Mark to get their brother Dopey off the hook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Joe's at The Helping Hand"?

At the helping hand-job more like

angel01 wrote: »
    Sunday Aug 7th

I love having a good read of the spoiler before the episode goes out. It always amuses me to hear the bus pulling up on the street with the next batch of plots. :pac:

(While we're on the subject: spoiler is such a cruel word. I prefer... ooh, preview, premiere, premonition, pre-broadcast drama enhancer).

tk123 wrote: »
    Is anyone else thinking that the Bishops might frame Mark to get their brother Dopey off the hook?

Maybe he's got Sarah in a glass coffin in the woods with a little bit of apple stuck in her throat. (Cough)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The thought of giving him up destroys me!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The scene with Jo all excited, and boasting to Orla about having her man over was completely unrealistic... It's completely uncharacteristic of Jo's conservative, almost prudish nature..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Alice1

Hmm, maybe - but on the other hand, maybe Tommy "The Sleaze" Dillon awoke her hidden passions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Tommy Dillon is such a creep.

They way he was telling her to keep it quiet....
    I'd say hes at it all the time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    I'd say hes at it all the time;)
    So would I, he reminds me of Pat Mustard 'and now I'm going off to ride Mrs O'Reilly. '

I don't agree. I think the opposite. IMO, The Bishops aren't really believable but I think Cass and Charlie are really good actors. It took me a while to warm to Esther but I like her now. I think she plays the nosey busybody really well.

I don't think Leo is a very good actor but I enjoy his character and I'd like to see him involved in a storyline again. :)

I live on the northside of dublin and see lads like the bishops every day...the same accents, the same demeanour, even the same walk:p Thats what i mean by believable....
    I have yet to see ur average 70yr old man strike a relationship up with a 70yr old woman, a doctor move into the localityand drink in the local pub, or an ex teacher murder someone....

So I find the storys involving the bishops the most believable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

Tommy Dillion has the art of deception off to a fine art. He chastises Jo about the dangers of letting slip to Orla any hint of having an affair. He has no qualms about reminding her of the benefits of telling lies. No hint of guilt on his side whatsoever. At least Jo shows she has some dilemma keeping it all under wraps. We don't know Tommy Dillion at all. He was presented as a devoted, happy married man and extremely protective of his family. He is clearly married a long time to Judith. How old is their eldest daughter Neasa? He could give classes on how to cheat on your spouse and not get caught. He must have a history of womanising, is a natural liar or he is a psycho with some dark secrets from his past which have been buried under his vegetable patch. He could give Barry a few tips on how not to get caught in his dodgy dealings with dim Denzo Bishop. The only other alternative is he did get caught before and he is married to a saint who forgave him or she turned a blind eye to his affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Tenements starts on TV3 tonight Bryan Murray (Bob) presents

I live on the northside of dublin and see lads like the bishops every day...the same accents, the same demeanour, even the same walk:p Thats what i mean by believable....
    I have yet to see ur average 70yr old man strike a relationship up with a 70yr old woman, a doctor move into the localityand drink in the local pub, or an ex teacher murder someone....

So I find the storys involving the bishops the most believable...

I wouldn't confuse good acting with saying the charachters are believable!!
    Yer man who pulls the faces is a decent, acceptanble actor (Decco or Denzo, I STILL dunno which is which)!

The other 2 are absolute shoyte!! Especially Barry's friend!

Aye youa steartttin aye ya...aye ya!!!
    Coz if youa steartttin, oi'l finish it....roite....roite!!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I wouldn't confuse good acting with saying the charachters are believable!!
    Y

I think they act the parts well though - honestly, I actually know people who go on like that in real life...they are MUCH better actors than Charlie and Esther, admit that at least!

• Advertisement

The violent and aggressive Mark storyline could be excellent but for the dubious acting by Mark and Laura

I hate when a good storyline is ruined by crap acting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The violent and aggressive Mark storyline could be excellent but for the dubious acting by Mark and Laura

I hate when a good storyline is ruined by crap acting

The new actress who plays Laura needs to go. Fast.

they are MUCH better actors than Charlie and Esther, admit that at least!

N'ah...I won't be admitting something I don't believe!

Charlie is annoying when he turns all posh all of a sudden - but is usually OK

Ester I thought was shown up a bit with the emotional scenes with David - but is usually OK too.

Zumo and particularly Denzo are atrocious the vast majority of the time!

As a comprimise though I'll accept that they're better than Caoimhe and Rita!....Will that do??? :D

We'll have to agree to disagree;)

Charlie is atrocious all of the time, but particularly when he pulls that posh accent out of nowhere.
    Esther is as bad as a bad actress in an amateur dramatic society in East Wall (with no disrespect to anyone in an amateur dramatic society in East Wall - if there is one!).

Zumo (who's real name is Patrick Fitzpatrick and who I can never watch on TV without wondering WHAT his mother was thinking in that maternity hospital!) is one of the better actors - he is acting the part of a Dublin scumbag, and does it very well. Denzo isn't that bad either.

I can't even mention Rita without getting the shivers her acting was that appalling;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Charlie is atrocious all of the time, but particularly when he pulls that posh accent out of nowhere.
    Esther is as bad as a bad actress in an amateur dramatic society in East Wall (with no disrespect to anyone in an amateur dramatic society in East Wall - if there is one!).

Zumo (who's real name is Patrick Fitzpatrick and who I can never watch on TV without wondering WHAT his mother was thinking in that maternity hospital!) is one of the better actors - he is acting the part of a Dublin scumbag, and does it very well. Denzo isn't that bad either.

I can't even mention Rita without getting the shivers her acting was that appalling;)

Rita 'Replaced by a bell' Doyle...

Ooooh belldoyle, that's a place...

Worst.actors.ever: laura, mark, Leo, David, Caoimhe..

Ok im gonna sound awful but does anyone else just hate Ben? He's such a moany little sh*tte..woeful actor :pac:

Rita's bell was a better actor than some of them

Zumo (who's real name is Patrick Fitzpatrick and who I can never watch on TV without wondering WHAT his mother was thinking in that maternity hospital

Like the old Irish rugby coach Brian O'Brian :eek:

I knew a woman once when I was doing work for one of the big telecommunications company's. The woman's name was Bola 5hittu and the first time she rang me in the office was exactly like when something funny comes into your head at mass and you try not to burst out laughing!

Someone said something here a while back...it still makes me laugh coz it's so true....When she was in the hospital bed being visited by Yvonne....she couldn't even act being asleep!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I have to agree about Charlie. Sometimes when he tries to show his knowledge, he puts on an irritating posh accent. Not the best actor in the world, but i thought he was good in the early scenes after Mags died.
    Esther is truly awful....very panto in her acting....as is Jo.
    Zumo is the best of the bishops. Decco and Denzo are the worst...very unbelievable as thugs.
    Cass is good at comedy acting but i think he would struggle with emotional scenes.
    I think Robert is a very underused character, who plays his character very well.
    Carol is very over-rated. She is only good when she is angry and shouting and is quite poor in emotional scenes.

Bob is the King though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Alice1

Is it me or is the actress who plays Laura, trying to "act masculine" - notice her walk and the strange hand movements?

Have to say the Bishop brothers are very believable - I have met folk very like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Don't forget to keep supporting the request for a fair city forum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement