Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Whoa!!! Easy there cowboy. A little less of that animosity and the world would be a better place. No need to get defencive.

And to move swiftly back on topic... does anyone else find it strange that Yvonne Doyle has a completely different accent from the rest of her family?

Not really... if you look at most soaps, like Corrie, David Platt has a completely different accent to the rest of the family :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

And to move swiftly back on topic... does anyone else find it strange that Yvonne Doyle has a completely different accent from the rest of her family?

It doesn't bother me. I think it's probably just the actress using her natural voice, but it does work in terms of the characters. Some of the tension with Suzanne seems to be about Yvonne thinking she is socially better than the rest of the Doyles. It's a nice detail that Yvonne would have made herself a little more posh than the rest.

Very grating for Suzanne too.

Is Bill the only character who isn't using his own accent? Carol sounds a little different in interviews, but I think that's because she has less opportunity to shout and throw crockery.

It doesn't bother me. I think it's probably just the actress using her natural voice, but it does work in terms of the characters. Some of the tension with Suzanne seems to be about Yvonne thinking she is socially better than the rest of the Doyles. It's a nice detail that Yvonne would have made herself a little more posh than the rest.

Very grating for Suzanne too.

Is Bill the only character who isn't using his own accent? Carol sounds a little different in interviews, but I think that's because she has less opportunity to shout and throw crockery.

To me Carol (Aisling) sounds completely different, quite posh in real life :D Ali also sounds different :D

http://odeo.com/episodes/24126116-Gift-Fair-City-Carol-and-Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You mean that weird American/Irish hybrid accent isn't Bill's own accent??? ;)
    Yeah, it's clear that Carol and Ali don't use their own accenta on the show, and I'd imagine there's a few others as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Is there going to be a screen funeral for Ursula (Anna Manahan)...like they did when Pat Leavy (Hannah Finnegan) died.

• Advertisement

Epicurus wrote: »
    Is there going to be a screen funeral for Ursula (Anna Manahan)...like they did when Pat Leavy (Hannah Finnegan) died.

No I wouldn't imagine so as it is a long while now since Ursula was in it.

I have just bought the paper (purely because of the front cover being fair city :o:D) It reveals the following: will put it in SPOILERS.
    • Two top stars will die in a fire and a third barely makes it out alive
    • Three more to go before Christmas
    • Wage cuts and extras culled
    • Budget slashed by 10%
    • The fire starts in the solicitors office above the northside post.

I hope they mean that extras will literally be culled. I could see Leo striding down main street swinging a golf club, while Louie finishes off the old and infirm with a steak-knife. Cruel, maybe, but think of the ratings.

I hope they mean that extras will literally be culled. I could see Leo striding down main street swinging a golf club, while Louie finishes off the old and infirm with a steak-knife. Cruel, maybe, but think of the ratings.

It doesn't sound good to lose so many :( Better not be anyone I like
    looks like it is curtains for Annette, Bill and possibly Barry/Seamus to survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

angel01 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound good to lose so many :( Better not be anyone I like
    looks like it is curtains for Annette, Bill and possibly Barry/Seamus to survive

Bill :eek: no way, he's my favourite character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I don't mind if Andrew goes - but I'd go mad if it was Stephen from the bar - he has the best lines ever.......

deelite wrote: »
    I don't mind if Andrew goes - but I'd go mad if it was Stephen from the bar - he has the best lines ever.......

There would be a national outcry if Stephen was axed...

Poor Louis
    Poor Yvonne
    Poor Bela
    Poor Keith
    Poor Carol

Poor everyone tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Oh, I thought that Annette fire thing had to be a wind-up but after reading that paper, maybe not. :x

Who is Andrew btw? Troy? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

hahaha loving when Niamh apologised to paul for thinking he slept with Yvonne !!! :p

Meller wrote: »
    Oh, I thought that Annette fire thing had to be a wind-up but after reading that paper, maybe not. :x

Who is Andrew btw? Troy? :confused:

Prpbably meant to be Anthony.
    hahaha loving when Niamh apologised to paul for thinking he slept with Yvonne !!! :p

Thought Paul was going to confess for a minute when he said that it wasnt all that implausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Epicurus wrote: »
    Prpbably meant to be Anthony.

Thought Paul was going to confess for a minute when he said that it wasnt all that implausible.

Yea I thought he was going to admit it just to show that he could get another woman. lol you could tell he was pissed off that she just wrote off the idea:D

Sorry I did mean Anthony - the guy who works with Annette

Looks like ol bucko Bill isn't the sweet lovely knight in shining armour after all :eek:

Bill continues to manipulate Annette and has a real power over her, will Barry & Seamus be able to save her from his grip. Seamus can't believe the amount of power he has and Bill taunts Seamus by saying drop into McCoy's to see Annette drinking :eek: Bill cruelly tempts Annette off the wagon and then Barry seems to make it worse.. Seamus and Bill have a meeting and Bill taunts Seamus again and tells him what he has to do to get Annette back!

Elsewhere.. Charlie is in a right state when he returns from Canada, he finds Zumo in his house and decides to sell the house. Dermot stops him selling and then he agrees to move in with Bela.

Orla confides in Cass (yay he is back!) about all her money worries. Robert & Ian are frustrated Orla is still hanging about their apartment and agree she has to go :(

Duncan goes to extreme measures to get Zumo out of Charlies house! Barry goes to the guards about Bill but McAleer won't go into specifics.

as for Sundays episode, I felt really sorry for Louie and Bela. Yvonne can be so annoying at times. I just find Yvonne and Connie so boring together, I can't be arsed watching them together. Yvonne and Louie were more entertaining together.

I am glad Keith opened up to Orla, it was nice seeing them cuddled up together, both going through bad times :(

Aww at Carol and Christy. I do like them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

angel01 wrote: »
    as for Sundays episode, I felt really sorry for Louie and Bela. Yvonne can be so annoying at times. I just find Yvonne and Connie so boring together, I can't be arsed watching them together. Yvonne and Louie were more entertaining together.

I am glad Keith opened up to Orla, it was nice seeing them cuddled up together, both going through bad times :(

Aww at Carol and Christy. I do like them together.

so just to clarify.............you like the togetherness of it all !!!:D

• Advertisement

MsMolly wrote: »
    so just to clarify.............you like the togetherness of it all !!!:D

haha, yep I do... I am one for romance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Helgo Mesk

How's Duncan going to get rid of Zumo?

What's with Suzanne these days, all she ever does is be sour about Yvonne, she's a better actress than this one note character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Helgo Mesk wrote: »

What's with Suzanne these days, all she ever does is be sour about Yvonne, she's a better actress than this one note character.

Mate of yours?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

IMO, Keith has really been shown up in the acting department with this army stuff. He should stick to the comedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Helgo Mesk

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Mate of yours?

:rolleyes:

?

I'm missing Geraldine - and I don't know why. I'd love to see her back in Fair City.

Also (stay with me here) - do you remember the blonde lady who used to work in the bistro (she was the Stephen of the Bistro - always there never spoke two words) - where's she gone to????

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

yay cass is back:D has anyone else noticed that fair city has got ALOT funnier in that last year or so, its great fun to watch now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

JaneyP wrote: »
    IMO, Keith has really been shown up in the acting department with this army stuff. He should stick to the comedy

Disagree 100% with you on this one. I think he's really played it very well and has made me feel so sorry for Keith, (something I never thought I would) he has opened up Keith and shown he is not just a joker but we can see now there is a very serious side to him.
    It's great to see him opening up and talking to Orla about it, as the suicide rate in Ireland for young males is so alarming, to see him "A Joker" breaking down and seeking help can only help.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cjbh

Great to see Eileen back, and that she got to put her apron to good use. She had some great dialogue today: "I'll brain ya" and "those hands don't look used to doing dirty work". :D Her and Cass make a really fun couple.

I agree with a previous poster that FC has really improved the comedy element in recent times. I much prefer this approach as the heavy drama (e.g. anything with Yvonne) can get boring.

There are so many funny characters now: Carol, Christy, Keith, Ali, Eileen, Cass, Ray, Robert and Orla.

Lovin' Orla's storyline at the mo'.

I may be Connie's only fan, but I think she's just lovely. She is beautiful and enunciates perfectly :pac:. (No I am not Connie). Just hope she gets a back story to make her more interesting.

Still recovering from yesterday's double-pyjama-whammy, with Zumo resplendant in his red boxers and Annette in her barely-there negligee <heart palpitations>

Oh and how can I forget Bill. This is shaping up to get very interesting indeed...

deelite wrote: »
    I'm missing Geraldine - and I don't know why. I'd love to see her back in Fair City.

- what, that yoke with the forehead of an alien? :P

• Advertisement

"Not just someone. The mother of my children was sick. Lying in bed. Crying. Frightened. Calling my name."

That's powerful writing. Well done, scriptwriters. The whole episode was beautifully done, I thought. One of the best ones for a while.

I feel a bit guilty for the fact that I've always thought of Bela as just part of the furniture. He is turning in a really touching, vulnerable performance. He copes well enough moment by moment, but sometimes when he stops talking you can see a man utterly lost. His world has changed too much, and he barely has the will to cling on. How many people must feel like that these days?

I wish there were proper awards for this kind of stuff. He's never going to get an IFTA working on a soap, but he deserves some recognition.

Any other fans?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement