Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Any other fans?

No. Never liked Bela. The Doyle family are pretty obnoxious characters aside from Helen. The first Yvonne, the first Jimmy and the first Darren being the ugly runts of the litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

"Bela" AkA Jim Bartley helped co-launch a local threshing rally & limps in real life. The man's a ledgend though. Remember him in Tolka Row? No? Ask someone older than ye or look it up on YouTube.
    Didn't get close-enough to him to ask why. Anyone pour some sugar on this one?
    Caught 1st-bit tonight before match. That Jonathan Taylor AkA "Bill" & his' Yankee Doodle-Dandey Accent.....are there no American Actors that they could've cast with authentic, genuine accents, Southern Drawl or not? He does a good stab at it though.
    I remember him in Bosco or am I imagining it?
    What else was he in/did he do? Some period dramas? Michael Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

I remember him in Bosco or am I imagining it? What else was he in/did he do? Some period dramas? Michael Collins?

No, you're right about Bosco. He was also the co-star of Twink's sketch show, back in the later middle ages. There's a full list on his agent's website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Just a quickie - last night when Annette, Bill and Cass were in the bistro - what name did bill call annette was it Helen - or something - I've tried to get the real player to work but this pc is ancient....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

I don't remember but her real name is Rebecca Smith

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Just a quickie - last night when Annette, Bill and Cass were in the bistro - what name did bill call annette was it Helen - or something - I've tried to get the real player to work but this pc is ancient....

I just checked ths out. It's at four minutes thirty seconds in. I think he says, "Isn't that right, hon?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"Not just someone. The mother of my children was sick. Lying in bed. Crying. Frightened. Calling my name."

That's powerful writing. Well done, scriptwriters. The whole episode was beautifully done, I thought. One of the best ones for a while.

I feel a bit guilty for the fact that I've always thought of Bela as just part of the furniture. He is turning in a really touching, vulnerable performance. He copes well enough moment by moment, but sometimes when he stops talking you can see a man utterly lost. His world has changed too much, and he barely has the will to cling on. How many people must feel like that these days?

I wish there were proper awards for this kind of stuff. He's never going to get an IFTA working on a soap, but he deserves some recognition.

Any other fans?

Yeah, I'd agree with ya there. Jim Bartley is a decent actor.
    Actually thought everyone put in an excellent performance on last night's show. And I really like the storyline they have going with Orla, as it's focusing on something that is quite and issue at the moment. It's hard when you're used to a certain lifestyle, to suddenly have it pulled out from under you because you've no longer got a source of income. And signing onto the dole isn't as easy to do, as some people think it is... ultimately because when you do it really hits home that you're in trouble financially. Up until that point you can usually fool yourself into thinking you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

I just checked ths out. It's at four minutes thirty seconds in. I think he says, "Isn't that right, hon?"

Would have been more realistic if he'd said..."Isn't that right, my wife?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

who is the best and worst actor in fair city?
    imo it's Duncan best and Leo the worst

heavyballs wrote: »
    who is the best and worst actor in fair city?
    imo it's Duncan best and Leo the worst

Well i suppose technically Duncan and Leo are characters...Nathan Gordon and Dave Duffy would be the actors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Epicurus wrote: »
    Well i suppose technically Duncan and Leo are characters...Nathan Gordon and Dave Duffy would be the actors.

thanks for the lesson,goon!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Wow Yvonne... :eek:

Hope it's Paul's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Meller wrote: »
    Wow Yvonne... :eek:

Hope it's Paul's.

DITTO DITTO DITTO:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Has rita died? or is she still in hospital?:confused:

heavyballs wrote: »
    thanks for the lesson,goon!

No problem, any time at all; just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

john-joe wrote: »
    Has rita died? or is she still in hospital?:confused:

In a nursing home. That story were she took ill at Suzanne's wedding was very good, a while back it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Cris Jones wrote: »
    In a nursing home. That story were she took ill at Suzanne's wedding was very good, a while back it is now.

Yeah just wondering as I had not heard anything in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

You are welcome, John-Joe...:)...I think the actress who played Rita wasn't well in real life. The last time she had a big story was around Suzanne's wedding and that was heartbreaking stuff; after that she was mostly just being mentioned as being in the other room (when out of hospital as family members cared for her) when it was obvious that she wasn't about the set at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is it true Annette dies in a fire caused by her new husband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

JP Liz wrote: »

No idea but I'm guessing he turns nutty pretty soon

• Advertisement

Hardrain wrote: »
    No idea but I'm guessing he turns nutty pretty soon

I'm afraid it's worse than nutty. The fire burns away some of his skin, revealing an origin stranger and more mysterious than anything Seamus MacAleer could have suspected.

97eb7b1c89.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Sorry been out of action all week :( only just caught up.. enjoying Bill and Seamus vying for Annette, Bill gets nasty next week :( Poor Annette, she is so trusting and vulnerable too *cries*

I thought Bela was brilliant this week, really good acting and beginning to like Connie & Yvonne together (at times) still adore Louie :D he deserves better, would love it if it was his baby but knowing FC, it will be blooming Paul *yawn*

I have also felt sorry for Orla :(:( times will get really bad for her. Yay at Zumo and his gran being back and uniting with Cass. I love them :D

Helgo Mesk wrote: »
    How's Duncan going to get rid of Zumo?

What's with Suzanne these days, all she ever does is be sour about Yvonne, she's a better actress than this one note character.

I agree with you about Suzanne. They need to give other storylines than just bitching at Damien or giving out about Yvonne. She is an intelligent person and a good actress so give her some blooming storylines!!

Talking about Suzanne.. Here is an interview with Sarah the actress who plays her:

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/why-my-happiest-role-is-being-a-mother--fair-citys-suzanne-1902768.html

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

JP Liz wrote: »

There is gonna be a fire. Soon. Two long-standing characters will die. Thats as much as I know. I really wish they could do something like the bus crash on Emmerdale, you know? Load all the old fogies and rubbish actors on board and just crash the thing. So who would ye put on the Fair City bus... or with the speight of Luas crashes lately should that be the Fair City Luas?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There is gonna be a fire. Soon. Two long-standing characters will die. Thats as much as I know. I really wish they could do something like the bus crash on Emmerdale, you know? Load all the old fogies and rubbish actors on board and just crash the thing. So who would ye put on the Fair City bus... or with the speight of Luas crashes lately should that be the Fair City Luas?!:D

I'd put Séamus and Annette on the bus anyway. Tracey, Dolores, Charlie, and Heather would all be on the bus too. I think that's it actually. Don't really have a problem with anyone else.

I love Seamus and Annette :(

I found last nights quite good. Getting interesting now. Bill is starting to panic :eek: had to laugh at Barry with the headphones on :D Duncan was hilarious naked and Zumo and his gran were brill :D

0002a32a-545.jpg

September 18th 1989 - The residents of Carrigstown opened their doors to the Irish public and twenty years on they're still letting you into their lives.

In those years there has been 2,584 episodes and 4 theme tunes. Fair City began with just six families a pub and the corner shop. It began with one episode and week and has grown to four.

The success of the show is built on the talent both on and off screen and the dedication of the viewers.

Here is to another 20. Lá Breithe and thanks for watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Are back on set. Saw them filming outside Phelans Shop last week and neither looked happy!

Should be on screen in about 4 weeks!

• Advertisement

There were some very good moments in last night's episode, I thought. The nudity and Orla emptying her purse were good comic and dramatic highlights, but the best of all was Stephen. He nearly got a full sentence out before Paul swaggered in like the union rep to shut him down.

"I'll do the dialogue, buddy. You stick to pulling pints, yeah?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement