Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider eggs in window box!

Options
  • 26-07-2008 8:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a small window box with some herbs & tomato plants. The other day I was cutting off some parsley & when I was washing it, I realised there were all these little eggs underneath. I think they're spider eggs as they're starting to hatch.

What do I do?? I don't want my apartment full of spiders & I've totally gone off eating anything out of the box

thanks

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Are you squeamish? - squash them, when you bring your herbs in wash them. There should not be a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well there are hundreds of them...couldn't possibly squash them all & not really into being the author of a massacre..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm with you taconnol. I was deadheading loads of pots of pansies and the amount of eggs was gross, horrid yellow eggs sort of stuck in the newly opening leaves.

I'm sure they are VITAL to the garden but can't they just f off and do it quietly..

*No really, this is a message to egg laying yokes.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

As my Dad said as he walked on a snail one day - "ah well, plenty more where that came from." If there's one type of creature you could massacre all day and still be outnumbered by, it's insects, and especially spiders. Don't worry about killing them off. It's godamn garden. There would be a decent spray if your too squeamish but I would try not to use spray's unnecsesarily. Kill 'em before they hatch. OR THEY WILL EAT YOUR BRAIN.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Er...thanks for the psychotic reply..actually, invertebrates are in serious decline on a global level so not really a case of 'plenty more, etc'. And more importantly, they can live without us but we can't live without them.

Think I'm going to just pull out the parsley (they seem to like that plant) and feck it downstairs - I live in an apartment block with no balcony and no real garden so I'm pretty limited..

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement