Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats mouth - in trouble

Options
  • 26-07-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

My cat seems to be in pain with her mouth. she isnt eating and is very quiet in her self - which isnt like her at all- All of time she is meowing for attention.. There seems to be spits stuck or oozing out of her mouth and just sitting there on her lip. its sticky.:eek: And when she tries to open her mouth the sound isnt right its like sellotape sound been peeled back from something.:( the side of her mouth on the fur is all black. (she has white fur around chin and under her mouth)
    Does anyone what i could do help her :confused:or will it go away its self if i let her out in garden - maybe she will eat grass - to cure it.??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very hard to tell from your description but please take the cat to the vet now. She could have anything from a tooth infection to a broken jaw very hard to tell. She's obviously in pain take her to the vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kazzpop

has appointment on Monday with the Vet. has already had two teeth out in the last year. Doesnt have many teeth left- we got her from a shelter, she was in a bad way when she came to shelter. Badly abused. most of her teeth in her mouth where either broken or missing. so her mouth has been one of our biggest concerns about her. she cant eat hard food,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Please do not wait for the vet till Monday get her to a vet if not this eve def tomorrow. As im writing this my cat is on her way to the vets to be PTS. She is an indoor cat and this evening the window in the sitting room was open and she decided to get out. Poor thing was only out about 2 mins and straight under a car. Her back as far as i can see is broke and she is bleeding from the mouth. The job i have had to get a vet. Finally got hold of him and my partner is on the way down with her now. I cant go with her which i know is wrong but i just cant do it as i know there is no chance for her. Im sitting here thinking why did i leave the window open. Why did i keep her inside if she was used to been outside maybe this wouldnt of happened.
    Sorry to steal this thread.

Mary

Sorry to hear about your cat - hopefully she will be alright. and will get through her ordeal- the poor little thing! but dont beat yourself up over leaving the window open.Cats are curious little things always curious to get out. and escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

mary123 wrote: »
    Please do not wait for the vet till Monday get her to a vet if not this eve def tomorrow. As im writing this my cat is on her way to the vets to be PTS. She is an indoor cat and this evening the window in the sitting room was open and she decided to get out. Poor thing was only out about 2 mins and straight under a car. Her back as far as i can see is broke and she is bleeding from the mouth. The job i have had to get a vet. Finally got hold of him and my partner is on the way down with her now. I cant go with her which i know is wrong but i just cant do it as i know there is no chance for her. Im sitting here thinking why did i leave the window open. Why did i keep her inside if she was used to been outside maybe this wouldnt of happened.
    Sorry to steal this thread.

So sorry about your cat, I went through something similar with my indoor cat and she was PTS, how did the vets go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

pts. R.I.P Bonnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I'm really sorry..it took me ages to get over my cat Murphy..she was like a puppy and followed me everywhere..RIP Bonnie

I am so sorry to hear about your Cat Bonnie (R.I.P) just thought there might be a slim chance that the cat would surive. Its terrible sad when that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Kazzpop sounds like poisoning and the black stuff is blood from her stomach you need to get her to a vet asap. Looking for attention is her way of telling you somethings wrong when she stops looking for attention your in trouble at that point they just want to be left alone to die. If you live in Dublin Banbrigde and Argyle in Dun Drum are open from 11 to 1 if you ring earlier they should let you come in on emergency early. The only time I've seen black stuff is when an animal is hit or poisoned or a sever infection again blood from the stomach. I hope she'll be OK.

Mary I'm so sorry to hear about your cat mine are all indoors too and when they figured out how to open the windows I had to start locking them. These things happen and as kazzpop says don't beat your self up over it when mine first escaped I thought it was one of the ferrel's waiting to be feed out side and arrive out to find all 9 cats having a ball running around the road while I went into panic mood trying to get them in. I was lucky nothing happened them but there still trying to figure out how to get the wood out that's wedged so I can leave them open. You can never be 100% that they won't get out you gave her a good life and thats all that matters.

What did the vet say I hope I was wrong and she's ok.

• Advertisement

sorry for not replying sooner to you all to give you an update on my little cat.
    She saw the vet, Vet decided that the black stuff on the side of her mouth was caused by her gum on the inside, the vet decided to put her under Anaesthetic and investigate it more,
    Poor little thing came home worst off. she had two teeth removed the vet reckoned this was causing black stuff. but thankfully she is grand now and is doing well- she has only a few teeth left now.
    Cant understand vets though- she has few teeth left and they suggested that she eat hard food... and not soft food. i know hard stuff is good for the teeth but you know she hasnt many so i thought they would let us off but i was wrong very insisited on the hard stuff.. She wont eat it - its yuck! if i was cat i wouldnt eat either!:P

So glad to hear she's fine now and don't worry she won't starve I have a 14 yr old who came to me 4 yrs ago she only had her two fangs and a mouth full of ulcers and she survived until she found me, she only has 1/2 a fang left and it's not causing her any problems so myself and the vet decided to leave it as she is major major high risk to put under, no teeth weren't her only problems when I tuck her in I've a list as long as my arm for her touch wood she's only had one infection in the four years.

She loves dry food it seems to scratch her gums for her and wet food is mashed before served up. I find if I don't mash or shredded her food she throws it up as the tummy can't handle food thats not broken down(long list, could just be her), but it doesn't seem to bother her it tuck a while for her to stop robbing food she couldn't have but she gets on fine.

I bought a mini baby blender as well and I'll blend down the days food for her and put it in some tubbier wear but she gets on fine.

Glad to hear it was nothing worse when you said black stuff that was a worry I've two cats and four dogs come to me due to poisoning all dripping black stuff which turned out to be blood from the stomach as the lining of the stomach is being ripped away or dissolved.

If some thing doesn't look or feel right always check with a vet I lost my beautiful bonnie just over two years a go from an infection in the gums that didn't show it's self till it was two late you were lucky you got the warning never take a chance.

Good luck with her and I hope she lives a long and happy with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My own vet usually recommends fish and chicken for sick pusscats.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

kazzpop wrote: »
    sorry for not replying sooner to you all to give you an update on my little cat.
    She saw the vet, Vet decided that the black stuff on the side of her mouth was caused by her gum on the inside, the vet decided to put her under Anaesthetic and investigate it more,
    Poor little thing came home worst off. she had two teeth removed the vet reckoned this was causing black stuff. but thankfully she is grand now and is doing well- she has only a few teeth left now.
    Cant understand vets though- she has few teeth left and they suggested that she eat hard food... and not soft food. i know hard stuff is good for the teeth but you know she hasnt many so i thought they would let us off but i was wrong very insisited on the hard stuff.. She wont eat it - its yuck! if i was cat i wouldnt eat either!:P

Try feeding her on one of the specific senior foods - they're a lot easier on their teeth and smell nicer so older cats are tempted. My parents-in-law have a 16 year old cat that was switched from "normal" Hills/ Royal Canin dried food to Nutro Senior dried food and is eating like a horse now. :)

Advertisement