Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - need advice about what to look for in used car

Options
  • 26-07-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I need advice about what to look for when buying a used car. What should I check and how can I tell if it has been crashed /clocked etc. Those in the trade probably know from dealing with trade ins etc how to tell if a car was resprayed or if it was dented.

How would I tell if a door was replaced or if filler was used in the car or the bumper was sprayed etc. What should i look for in the chassis and be looking for in the engine or when i test drive the car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's best to bring somebody with you who knows something about cars. It's not really something you can learn from a thread on the internet.

The AA do checks for prospective purchases. They cost money, but are worth it in the long run. You don't have to be a member either AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Goldstar

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get somebody to look at it alright but could anybody give me any pointers at all as i dont really know what to look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Here's what I look for, hopefully this will guide you in the right direction...

From Seller
    If the owner of the car has it less than a year, see why they want to sell it.
    Only deal with the owner of the car as is on the Vehicle Registration Certificate, ask for passport or driving license to confirm persons identity prior exchanging funds for sale.
    Meet at the sellers house, not anywhere else.

From Car
    Check for service history and previous NCT certs, this will verify mileage to some degree.
    Check the Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) for the number of owners and verify that the seller is the same person, also verify it's not a forgery, it should have a watermark.
    Check the chassis and engine number of the car that they match that on the VRC and that they don't look like they have been altered.
    Do a check on cartell.ie or similar site to see if car has any dodgy history or if there's finance outstanding.
    If there's finance outstanding walk away as if money is not paid properly to the lender than you could see the car seized from yourself.
    Avoid any car which has no NCT or has not been taxed in quite a while as it's a sign it's off the road or could have a potentially major problem to pass the NCT.
    Take the car for a drive, understand that you need to be insured for this and seller may require proof of insurance before they let you. Try to engage all gears while driving and listen out for any problems with power or changing gears.

Advertisement