Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Drum mics

Options
  • 26-07-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

My new interface has been ordered (profire 2626) so I'm planning my new mic locker to go with it. I know the akg d112 is the default kick mic but I'm also considering the sennheiser md421 as itll give me an excellent bass cab mic as well (I'm a bassist so this is a big deal :D). I'm also looking at the Audix D6.

Any thoughts?

Edit: The EV RE20 looks interesting if a bit expensive, its not just for kick either, hmmm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

eoin5 wrote: »
    My new interface has been ordered (profire 2626) so I'm planning my new mic locker to go with it. I know the akg d112 is the default kick mic but I'm also considering the sennheiser md421 as itll give me an excellent bass cab mic as well (I'm a bassist so this is a big deal :D). I'm also looking at the Audix D6.

Any thoughts?

Edit: The EV RE20 looks interesting if a bit expensive, its not just for kick either, hmmm

The RE-20 is a great mic for kick and bass amps.
    An MD-421 and SM-7 are good for both too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Two more mics to consider which are by todays stadards better than the D112 would be:

Shure Beta52a: Good for both Bass drum and bass amp. Also good for brass too.

Sennheiser e602/902: Closer to the D112 but still better IMO. Not as honky sounding. Same uses as the Beta52a.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Soundman wrote: »
    Two more mics to consider which are by todays stadards better than the D112 would be:

Shure Beta52a: Good for both Bass drum and bass amp. Also good for brass too.

Sennheiser e602/902: Closer to the D112 but still better IMO. Not as honky sounding. Same uses as the Beta52a.

The 602 I like on a kick.

To my ears it gave a sound ready to drop into the mix, strong on the bottom and mids, clear on the top without being too clicky and enough 'space' in it to sit a bass on top leaving both audible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I'm a big fan of the Audix D6 but but has that scooped sound which doesn't work for everything.

The beta52 is great all rounder. Along with another mic to pick up a little more of the attack.

RE-20
    FET 47
    Beta52
    TML170
    D6
    D12
    Sub-kick

Are my sorta go too's for all things kick related. Just depends on player and kit. Love micing drum kits....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Thanks lads, the D112 is definitely out going by what most people are saying about it. This mic could end up being used live as well so I'm sort of leaning towards the 602 as it wont take much eqing to get right by the sounds of it. Then again the beta52a is probably going to be more useful if were trying to get a particular sound. Spoiled for choice yet again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/articles/kickandsnareaudio.htm

sound on sound did a great side by side test of snare and kick mics a few months ago including all the perennial favourites. You can download the audio files with the link above.

dabhoys wrote: »
    RE-20
    FET 47
    Beta52
    TML170
    D6
    D12
    Sub-kick

4Two1 instead of 451 I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

d112 is a great mic , you just have to position it carefully as it has quite a range of tones that can change within an inch of moving it .
    alot of people dont take the time to try differnet placements with the d112 ( or any kick mic ) - the kick drum has many tones according to where you put the mic , even inside the shell - the SOS sounds clips prove this conclusively

the d6 is a one hit wonder , only good for metal clicky kick , or sub kick, and mainly live - it should not be used in a studio unless you want a specific artificial sound.

id like an re20 but the 421 is also quite good

actually a 421 in the hole and a dark ribbon 2 feet outside is very very nice.

I enjoy using the 451 on the other side on the beater sometimes for softer playing players. I love those mics on alot of things...

Never really liked the 421 on kicks.

MD441 is another cool one I forgot I like on the beater too.

As I always like to say there is no wrong mic for the job just trust your ears and go with it. Can't replace that...

I enjoy using the 451 on the other side on the beater sometimes for softer playing players. I love those mics on alot of things...

Never really liked the 421 on kicks.

MD441 is another cool one I forgot I like on the beater too.

As I always like to say there is no wrong mic for the job just trust your ears and go with it. Can't replace that...

Interesting...

• Advertisement

Did a session not to long ago where engineer brought in a 15inch woofer on the kick and thought it was too big to use but by god it worked and sounded pretty damn cool!!! I mean I know the Subkick and NS-10 crap but thats a small cone!! I didn't think the kick would move enough air to move the cone but it did!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Strange noone mentioning the Beta 91 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Did a session not to long ago where engineer brought in a 15inch woofer on the kick and thought it was too big to use but by god it worked and sounded pretty damn cool!!! I mean I know the Subkick and NS-10 crap but thats a small cone!! I didn't think the kick would move enough air to move the cone but it did!!!

Heh I can imagine the look on our drummers face if I brought in a woofer and stuck it in front of the kick :D

Advertisement