Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bats

Options
  • 26-07-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

who should i contact to get em removed
    i am in cork north west

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Where are they? House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

barnicles wrote: »
    who should i contact to get em removed
    i am in cork north west

Why do you want them moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Actually if you do a search on this site you will see:

Bats are protected under the 1976 Wildlife Act. In June 1993 Ireland signed the European Bats Agreement which aims to promote greater protection for bats by protecting key sites and habitats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Bats are protected, you can't "remove" them. If they are in your house you'll just have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Bats are protected, you can't "remove" them. If they are in your house you'll just have to put up with it.

That seems very unfair. When there droppings build they could become a health hazard. If rats became endangered would we have to put up with them in our homes? Maybe you could block the entrance they use when the leave at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

When there droppings build they could become a health hazard.

or you could collect the guano and sell it as a fertiliser. The sale of bat dung from a single cave in America fetched $6,000,000.

Irish bats are very clean animals, they regularly groom and seek out clean places in which to live and they carry no known diseases. They do not bring in nesting materials, rather they just crawl into crevices or hang from whatever is available. As they are not rodents, they have no front teeth so they do not gnaw wood or electric cables. They only have one baby a year so its not like you'll find yourself infested with millions of them. Their use of houses is seasonal, rather like swallows; they usually arrive in April and leave in September or October so you can wait till the leave and block up what ever hole they've used to gain access. Be aware that all bats and their roosts are protected by law and a licence is needed to disturb them in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Wow, I'd love to have bats in my house! I'd be out all night watching them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Weidii wrote: »
    Wow, I'd love to have bats in my house! I'd be out all night watching them :p
    Me too, I'd feel honoured to have them living in my house, just like the swallows some others in here seem to want to get rid of as well. I don't get it.

OP, try and find out a bit more about them from one of the links mentioned above. You might even learn to love them too :)

Advertisement