Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone shop in Joyces?

Options
  • 26-07-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone shop in any of the Joyce stores? I go to the Athenry one regularly but never again! :mad: My receipt is always wrong and I'm so sick in tired of going back. Not that you ever get an aplogy for the error in the first place!!!!! Are the headford and Knocknacarra stores like this as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I've not had any problems with the local Joyces in Headford, however I don't do my main shopping there, but thats due to price not service.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

babycheeks wrote: »
    Does anyone shop in any of the Joyce stores? I go to the Athenry one regularly but never again! :mad: My receipt is always wrong and I'm so sick in tired of going back. Not that you ever get an aplogy for the error in the first place!!!!! Are the headford and Knocknacarra stores like this as well?

It's a fairly regular occurrence with Mr Joyce:
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Prosecutions/Businesses%20prosecuted.html

IIRC, there were similar prosecutions in recent years. I stopped shopping in the Knocknacarra one three years ago because I was sick of having to leave the till, walk back to the shelf and point out the correct price. Some times over 2 euro. Some times over 5 cent (it had gotten to the stage when even just 5 cent would drive me cracked).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Weren't Joyces prosecuted for re-packaging meat that was gone off?!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

babycheeks wrote: »
    Does anyone shop in any of the Joyce stores? I go to the Athenry one ......

Yep, we went...once!
    I was new to the area & trying all the 'new' places - didn't like the quality, noticed that I had been overcharged - never been back!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

I've been shopping there since it opened and there have always been problems with overpricing and out of date produce. I once picked up a bottle of olive oil which was over a year out of date!!!!! :eek:

I was there last week and didn't get a reduction on a buy 2 offer. Hadn't even left the checkout when I spotted it but the cashier had started to serve the next customer. So I waited til she was finished and brought it to her attention. She had to call the supervisor who was totally ignorant! :mad: :mad: :mad: She made me take the product out of the bottom of my packed bag. I had my baby and lively toddler with me so this was most inconvenient and stressful!! Then she quizzed had I in fact bought 2 - I told her it was all on the receipt if she cared to look at it. :mad: :mad: :mad: She went off with the product to 'Check' even though it was not a joyces promotion but one by the manufacturers and it was printed on the packaging of the product she now had in her hand. Anyway after handing over my receipt she begrudgingly gave me my €0.68 refund - no apology of course!

I was driving home and was replaying the incident in my head when I thought that to a passive observer I must have looked like a shoplifter pulling out shopping and receipts for inspection! :mad: :mad:

Anyway I arrived home and started to unpack my shopping when I realised she never gave me back the one she took to ‘check’! :mad::mad::mad:

THAT WAS IT!!!!! I got on the phone and rang them and gave out absolute stink! A manager did call up to my house later with the product, a cake and an apology and although she was sincere I will never never never shop there again. They only thing that brought me there was the parking really as I much prefer Fahys in the town. You'd never have to check you receipt in Fahys as it's always spot on and they'll carry your shopping to the car too. So it's farewell to Joyces from me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Yup, They're lethal for it in all of their stores.

I don't know why people bother to shop there. I'm always a bit dubious about; well; everything on the shop to be honest.

It always gives the impression of having fallen off the back of a truck somewhere or something.

Oh, and its usually ridiculously overpriced. They don't deserve the business they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Cathal01 wrote: »
    Weren't Joyces prosecuted for re-packaging meat that was gone off?!
    I heard something along those lines too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I've not had any problems with the local Joyces in Headford, however I don't do my main shopping there, but thats due to price not service.

Same here. I've not had any problem with it. The staff are actually always very friendly though it is definitely overpriced. I only use it for last minute milk and bread etc... I rarely do a full shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭babycheeks

soundbyte wrote: »

Interesting but I'm not that surprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 winemaker

littlebug wrote: »
    Same here. I've not had any problem with it. The staff are actually always very friendly though it is definitely overpriced. I only use it for last minute milk and bread etc... I rarely do a full shopping there.

I have shopped in Joyces in Headford for the last 18 years but it is only the last few years that I have had problems. Two months ago I was overcharged four times in nine days. If I hadn't checked my receipts I would have been almost twenty euros out of pocket. Fed up of complaining to the store staff to no avail, I complained to the National Consumer Agency. I haven't heard anything further but I did recently come across the following:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Enforcement/CPL-June2008-d/

and:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Enforcement/CPL-June2008-e/

It seems Mr Joyce isn't getting the message. My advice to anybody who shops in Joyces is to check their till receipt carefully and complain about overcharging to the National Consumer Agency at www.consumerconnect.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

winemaker wrote: »
    I have shopped in Joyces in Headford for the last 18 years but it is only the last few years that I have had problems. Two months ago I was overcharged four times in nine days. If I hadn't checked my receipts I would have been almost twenty euros out of pocket. Fed up of complaining to the store staff to no avail, I complained to the National Consumer Agency. I haven't heard anything further but I did recently come across the following:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Enforcement/CPL-June2008-d/

and:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Enforcement/CPL-June2008-e/

It seems Mr Joyce isn't getting the message. My advice to anybody who shops in Joyces is to check their till receipt carefully and complain about overcharging to the National Consumer Agency at www.consumerconnect.ie

Winemaker, it's people like you that really bug me.

You go and complain to the STAFF (to no avail)... now think about it - is it the staff you should be complaining to if this is a persistant problem? Ummmm, no - it's Mr Joyce himself.

I know this from first hand experience, the staff get the oddest complaints etc.... but when the customer is asked if they'd like to speak with a manager 99% of the time they decline.

The staff are the front line and certainly dont go out there to rip people off - if you have a problem with overcharging etc then just go to the top and maybe you'll feel a bit better in yourself.

For what it's worth Mr. Joyce is supposed to be an absolute d8ck and treats his staff like s*it aswell. I wouldn't bother giving any of my money to the likes.

Certainly an element of truth in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

soundbyte wrote: »
    It's a fairly regular occurrence with Mr Joyce:
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Prosecutions/Businesses%20prosecuted.html

IIRC, there were similar prosecutions in recent years. I stopped shopping in the Knocknacarra one three years ago because I was sick of having to leave the till, walk back to the shelf and point out the correct price. Some times over 2 euro. Some times over 5 cent (it had gotten to the stage when even just 5 cent would drive me cracked).
    God damn, I regularly shop in Knockers. Will have to take my business to Dunnes now AND start checking my receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

For what it's worth Mr. Joyce is supposed to be an absolute d8ck and treats his staff like s*it aswell. I wouldn't bother giving any of my money to the likes.

Slander

Certainly an element of truth in that!

Still slander

Have never been to one of these stores but just saying like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well I certainly witnessed incorrect pricing in Joyces in Knocknacarra.

The thing is, though, it was a 6 pack of miller which, when scanned, displayed the price of a single bottle :eek:

Needless to say, I didn't complain :D

Still slander

Have never been to one of these stores but just saying like

Course you have been Pat - sure you own the bloody stores ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 winemaker

Winemaker, it's people like you that really bug me.

You go and complain to the STAFF (to no avail)... now think about it - is it the staff you should be complaining to if this is a persistant problem? Ummmm, no - it's Mr Joyce himself.

I know this from first hand experience, the staff get the oddest complaints etc.... but when the customer is asked if they'd like to speak with a manager 99% of the time they decline.

The staff are the front line and certainly dont go out there to rip people off - if you have a problem with overcharging etc then just go to the top and maybe you'll feel a bit better in yourself.

Paddy. Sorry that I really bug you :(

Fact is I have complained to Pat Joyce as the most senior staff member as well as his duty managers and was still overcharged. I would "feel a bit better in myself" if I was able to shop in a local shop without being ripped off. I would also feel a bit better knowing that other people were not being ripped off. It is quite obvious from these posts that my experience is not unique. The National Consumer Agency exists to protect consumers where they are being overcharged and there would appear to be evidence that this is happening in Joyces supermarkets.

That's what really should really be bugging you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SUN19

I actually find that i save money by doing my shopping in Joyces every week, they always have really good value on big powders, toilet paper and wine. There's a really good selection in the athenry store too.

As for those of you who are giving out about pat joyce, he works bloody hard to run a good business so stop believing rumours and get to know the man yourself before making such blunt statements.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I worked for Mr. Joyce for 2 years while I was in school. His problem is he is now trying to run 3 store, where as for years he was only running one. He finds it very hard to designate power to his managers, everything has to be done his way. Back in the late ninty's when he had two shops both shops would rarely have any prices on display until an RTE consumer program brought to light this problem in an "unnamed supermarket in knocknacarra Galway" as it was put. Since then they started displaying prices for nearly everything with SELs. I know that in Dunnes they have a team of 3 or 4 employees in every supermarket to make sure that the displayed price is the same as the price that item scans for. This was not the case in Joyces while I was working there and I would think that nothing has changed

The man puts himself on the line when he owns the business himself. His business is a reflection of him and certainly the owners character is important in choosing whether to do business or not.

Its still slander! you cannot publish that someone is a di ck etc. for poor pricing you may say his attention to detail may leave a bit to be desired etc as an opinon and even that is not assured anymore.

My earlier comment was that you cant call someone a di ck for the way he treats his staff - you could call him a bad employer if you had proof.

Prove the statements made here about the owner in relation to the complaints against his store are true ie. that it makes him a 'di ck' - not possible but if you could it would = fair comment anything less than that makes it slander.

Course you have been Pat - sure you own the bloody stores ;)

Ya right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 capricorn68

I regularly shop at Joyces Athenry & Knocknacarra and I find they have great value especially on the bigger pack grocery items. As regards incorrect pricing the product range offered by Joyces is vast so I'm sure its a huge job to get all the pricing right.

Hands up anyone of us who is perfect!!

I often check out DS & Tesco and they are certainly offenders in the pricing game, incorrect labels and most frustrating off all No Labels are a regular occurence.

Lets all get on with doing what we are supposed to be doing and give those who work extremely hard to provide us with value & variety a bit of a break!!!

Can I just say well done Joyces for bringing us a bit of variety, your product range is excellent.

Definition of slander: words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another

Note the word "falsely". I can't prove to you that he's a d*ck nor do I care to. I have heard it off a few people though so I believe it's true.

I'm just glad I know that he's a d*ck so he doesn't get any of my money.

I didn't call him a d*ck because of poor pricing, lack of attention to detail or that fact that his store has complaints - one of which landed him in court. I called him a d*ck because he is just "a d*ck". I'm not sure you understand what calling someone a d*ck means.

Definition of defamation (slander/Libel) - a statement (print/spoken) that lowers someone in the eyes of right thinking members of society - you cannot say something without proof (which would make it a fair comment) - you cannot call someone a dick on the internet - the basis for the comment was that he treats his staff badly if you prove it you can call him a bad employer not a di ck. You could talk all you like about the prices etc as they are wrong and thats in the public interest. The fact you 'heard off other people' and repeat it still makes it libelous (spelling?) to publish it you cannot blame them. Calling someone this on the Internet is Libel not slander as its in print though its not permanent per se so it is prob closer imo to slander either way its not on.

There is of course the argument that right thinking members of society would pass no heed of the statement. Its wrong so dont bother defending it, your denying the man of a right to his good name which is constitutionally protected -you're trying to say you're more correct that the constitution and well..........you're not (unlike in say the USA where they actually have a freedom of speech - we dont have the same level of freedom of speech in Ireland)

edit - a statment need not be false to be defamation it could be tottally true but stated without proof or eg. through an innuendo and still be Libel which this is.

Definition of slander - publishing a statment that lowers someone in the eyes of right thinking members of society - you cannot say something without proof (which would make it a fair comment) - you cannot call someone a dick on the internet - its slander the basis for the comment was that he treats his staff badly if you prove it you can call him a bad employer not a di ck. You could talk all you like about the prices etc as they are wrong and thats in the public interest.

There is of course the argument that right thinking members of society would pass no heed of the statement. Its wrong so dont bother defending it, your denying the man of a right to his good name which is constitutionally protected -you're trying to say you're more correct that the constitution and well..........you're not

Look....we don't all buy into this politically correct nonsense. I like to know who i'm doing business with.

Can you link me to this in the constitution?

Look....we don't all buy into this politically correct nonsense. I like to know who i'm doing business with.

Can you link me to this in the constitution?

lol you look, had you just said you knew it was'nt fair to call someone that on it would have done me this is more than just PC-ness as calling someone that is potentially illegal (even criminal though it only happend once) im not into PC ness at all tbh. You can make up your mind who you do business with thats fine but dont spread rubbish on who you dont decide to do business with.

anyway seeing as you asked so nicely google them
    Article 40.6.1 - is free expression of opinions which is balanced against
    Article 40.3.2 - protection of good name/vindication of rights where statements are unjust

lol you look, had you just said you knew it was'nt fair to call someone that on it would have done me this is more than just PC-ness as calling someone that is potentially illegal (even criminal though it only happend once) im not into PC ness at all tbh. You can make up your mind who you do business with thats fine but dont spread rubbish on who you dont decide to do business with.

anyway seeing as you asked so nicely google them
    Article 40.6.1 - is free expression of opinions which is balanced against
    Article 40.3.2 - protection of good name/vindication of rights where statements are unjust

Fair enough so I take back what I said. We learn something new everyday.

• Advertisement

Look, Pat Joyce is a sound man outside of work to be honest. However, he doesn't treat the majority of his staff very well - actually his treatment of some staff members could be viewed as downright bullying. People are afraid of him.

My real hang up in all of this is people complaining to the staff at the counters, constantly moaning and b*tching about prices etc..... and not having the gall to say the same thing to PJ.

I have seen at first hand a guy moaning about a stale loaf of bread, making a big scene at a checkout embarrassing the person whom was serving him. After he was finished he was on his way out the door when whom should he meet but PJ. Did he stop and let PJ know how unhappy he was?? Of course not.... "howya Pat, how's things with ya?". RIDICULOUS and cowardly!

Advertisement