Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone shop in Joyces?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Look....we don't all buy into this politically correct nonsense. I like to know who i'm doing business with.

Can you link me to this in the constitution?
    Don't make me laugh, are you honestly trying to tell me and the rest of the people in this forum that you go to the bother of finding out who runs the likes of Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, Dunnes and so on! Well if not ill try bring you up to speed! Dieter Schwarz a German who was born in Heilbronn is chairman and ceo of Lidl. Theo and karl Albreacht are ceo's of Aldi, these are Germans also. David Reid who is English is chairman of Tesco and he answers to unlimited amounts of shareholders! I could go on at this all night. My question to you is you say you like to know who your doing business with! What can you tell me about these people? Are they "di**s" ASWELL? Do you actually know Pat Joyce or are you relying on hearsay?
    I'll say one thing you can argue that both joyces and any of the other grocery stores in galway employee more, less or equal numbers of staff but you won't see the likes of Dieter Schwarts investing in property in Ireland, sponsoring local teams and giving money for fundraisers etc!In times of economic gloom we would do well to remember our own and not be buying foreign !
    Also the title of this forum is about prices in Joyces!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

tzun655l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

SUN19 wrote: »
    I actually find that i save money by doing my shopping in Joyces every week, they always have really good value on big powders, toilet paper and wine. There's a really good selection in the athenry store too.

I generally find most items are slightly dearer than you'd find in Tescos, Dunnes etc however Joyces do often have really good promotions on certain products.

I also don't think some of the posts here serve a purpose, by personally attacking a man who provides a service to local communities in areas where the larger chain stores are not interested in locating to. He is also providing employment to various parts of Galway.

On two occasions I've returned meat products to Tescos when I found that the 'best before date' had already expired when I purchased them. I now the scrutinise the dates on every item I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ah the day I went into work wearing a Joyces uniform...good times...good times! But anyways yeah they were done for the gone off meat aswell around last October or so I believe.

In fairness to them since they got that deal with the British providers they have alot of stuff you can't get anywhere else. He's meant to be a bit of a bastard to his staff but I barely know the guy and he always gives the nod to me. Only qualm with the Joyces in Knocknacarra and Headford is that they must of paid the councillors to look the other way when they were rennovating the entrances. They are lethal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Only qualm with the Joyces in Knocknacarra and Headford is that they must of paid the councillors to look the other way when they were rennovating the entrances. They are lethal!

Why? I haven't been into those stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

you won't see the likes of Dieter Schwarts investing in property in Ireland, sponsoring local teams and giving money for fundraisers etc!In times of economic gloom we would do well to remember our own and not be buying foreign !

Knocknacarra community centre scandal. There are still dozens of hosueholds around Knocknacarra that boycott his supermarket because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

To start off , I have no agenda and dont agree with the personal insults on Pat Joyce.
    I went against all my beliefs and went back to Joyces in an emergency.
    Guess what overcharged again. Reported it again and was virtually treated like a criminal for mentioning the fact that this was happening.
    I genuinely wont ever be back again.
    I have mentioned it at my mother/baby group and my husband who has good connections in Athenry also is planning on bringing it up with a local counciller in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I worked there for a long time, and so would have an inside view I guess.

About the overpricing thing, its definitely not a malicious thing; for a locally run business it's difficult to afford to have single member of staff devoted to checking prices as is the case in the english chains.

Secondly, I'd imagine that if you check your receipts you are probably under charged as often as your over charged (this is not an excuse, its still wrong, I'm just making the point its not malicious).

Thirdly, nobody here has said they've complained to Pat Joyce and were treated badly. Why? because if you did complain, he'd do everything to make it right. I've never worked with someone who valued their customers more. (The point here is his staff need to be better trained to do likewise I guess).

Finally, about treating his staff badly, I worked in two of his stores. In Knocknacarra a lot of the staff were young, not terribly motivated (compared to headford), and to be honest could probably do with a kick up the arse. Pat works from 6 in the morning to sometimes 2 at night, so I suppose he does expect a level of commitment from his own staff. He tries to keep his prices as low as the english chains by checking the papers for specials and matching them every week as best he can.

What I do think he needs to change is to pay for GOOD personable staff who reflect his own business ethos....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have you seen the guys house?...he's a multi-millionaire. He could easily afford extra staff to check prices. Also the entrance to the petrol station in Headford is a joke and the one to Knocknacarra ain't much better

Hey did anyone see the Late Late show Friday night? very funny altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hey did anyone see the Late Late show Friday night? very funny altogether!

Ummmm what exactly has that go to do with Joyces??

Ummmm what exactly has that go to do with Joyces??

Well what has most of the stuff in this thread to do with joyces.....the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well what has most of the stuff in this thread to do with joyces.....the company?

Oh so you're just being smart? Or trying to be?? ;)

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Twinksno1flan

I worked in QuinnsWorth thirty years ago and the section I worked in constantly mislead and overcharged customers all day every day. if you were not watching the scales they'd do you. This happened all the time so when I was working my last week I gave everything away, no not for nothing.I would give it to you for 10p instead of 2 quid. The manager came up to my supervisor and told him they had lost £300 for the week instead of making £120-150 or so. I was thrilled to bits and would never have done this if they had treated the customers properly, these and other con men deserve everything coming to them. There was a lot of happy faces that week.The funny thing was that none of the checkout girls spotted what I was doing. If you think you can bully younger members of staff just remember they will always get you back in the end. If I knew then what I know now or if it happened today I would film them doing this and report them aswel as standing up in court. My supervisor left to open his own shop in a town/village 10 miles out and I'm quite sure he continued his deceptive ways.

So now you have it, nothing changes.

Fahy's reputation for honesty is perfect, the staff very helpful, you get the odd moody but that genetics for you. Although I find it weird that if you leave something behind you they just leave it near the door so you or anyone else can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

This is one place where i always have to do a detailed examination of the receipt before leaving the store as there is always something overpriced. And family and friends have the same experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Not just me then phew,
    I had to go back three times with the same receipt and the looks I got from the check out girl when she had to call the manager like it was my fault they were overcharging me chronic I hate those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

They were notorious for overcharging in Knocknacarra, but in the last year they've improved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Got less than a pound of lamb yesterday for a curry and it said €8 on the lable. I queried the price and the chap inside the counter in Tuam said oh yeah that should be €5. Think they are trying it on in Joyces. Not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

I bought up same points a few months ago, overcharged, incorrect price etc but I was told by a member I had a problem with 'Joyce'! Which I don't cause I don't know him, moved from the area so don't shop in there at all and avoid the local Joyces to me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I just wish they would let the staff sit at the flaming cashouts!!

I know of a person who had a small basket of shopping and there was no one at the checkout and four people ended up behind him and there was no staff to be seen. They dropped their baskets and walked out.

This idea that he has of staff working harder when they are not sitting is pure bull IMO. It just means customers get pissed off waiting for staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hession

They are notorious for overcharging in Tuam,was there yesterday and i was overcharged by €12 when i asked the checkout girl she was so pissed off,I now will never ever shop there again,There were no staff at the tills and the place was busy a few members of staff were stocking the shelfes but other then that no one to check you out i had to go find someone,when i was checking my reciept there was 3 more people doing the same thing,so its not a good thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I haven't been to the Knocknacarra one for a good few years, but I noticed this there too, and also in Athenry more recently - sometimes its hard to actually find a price tag on the shelf for a particular product that is there in front of you. On price, sometimes they're OK, but often a lot more than Tesco/DS/Aldi/Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Been shopping in Joyces Athenry for over 3 years now. Much prefer it to Dunnes or Tesco. Don't remember being overcharged and I do tend to check reciepts.... have however been overcharged in Tesco recently although I hardly shop there anymore.
    I tend do to most of my shopping in Joyces and go to Lidl to bulk buy certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,245 ✭✭✭✭km79

used to do all my shopping in Joyces Athenry purely out of laziness. was never happy with veg and meat quality. so now get all fruit & veg in the local fruit and veg shop( a HELL of a lot cheaper) and meat in local butchers (cheaper and better quality).
    ive been overcharged 3 times as well and went back in.
    my main gripe though is they rarely have everything I need. always loads of offers but some days they might be out of white rice or brown rice or spaghetti etc. AWFUL ANNOYING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

dilallio wrote: »
    They were notorious for overcharging in Knocknacarra, but in the last year they've improved a lot.
    I take back what I said!
    I was in Knocknacarra yesterday and was overcharged for 3 out of 12 items.
    The instore display said half-price or 2 for 1, and on all 3 different items I was charged full price.

I agree with a previous poster who said they have many items with no prices marked. Particularly in the open fridge containing fresh cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I've found Joyces Athenry notorious for overcharging. I always check my receipt before I leave. I never do a big shop in there, only bits and bobs and often they dont pass over savings on the special deals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

hanns.s wrote: »
    I bought up same points a few months ago, overcharged, incorrect price etc but I was told by a member I had a problem with 'Joyce'! Which I don't cause I don't know him, moved from the area so don't shop in there at all and avoid the local Joyces to me now!
    You were called to task on a completely different issue by more than one poster including a mod of the forum to which you couldn't provide evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Don't know about Joyce's as I don't shop there but I got overcharged 4 times in 2 weeks at SuperValue in Loughrea..

It's getting a bit tedious, especially with 2 for 1 or buy 2 and get them cheaper deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

The computer system should pick up in the deals if they are entered into the system correctly. I bought a 2 for 1 a while back in Joyces in Athenry and got charged the full price for both. Only noticed it in the carpark and I went back in to the same checkout. The assistant called over a manager/supervisor and said I was entitled a full refund for both items as the system didn't pick up on the discount. I was only expecting to get the price of 1 item back.
    I have to agree with the point that alot of items are not priced on the shelves and alot of stuff not in stock, however most shops I go to (Dunnes,Tesco,Supervalue) don't have alot of items priced on the shelves. There should be price check machines in a few location around the shop so you can check the actual price of items you can't find a price for on the shelf before you go to the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm just back from Joyce's in Tuam as I wanted to buy a box of cappucino. It said €2.69 on the sticker underneath the box at the shelf so I had my €2.69 ready at the counter and she tells me it's over €3. She saw that I had €2.70 in my hand and tells me that the £2.59 on the box is the sterling price. Do I look stupid or something? I told her that it is in fact €2.69 and that was all I was giving her and that's what I got it for.

Advertisement