Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone shop in Joyces?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't know where they source their goods, but a lot of of products have those big prices on the boxes. I never know whether to believe them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

dambarude wrote: »
    I don't know where they source their goods, but a lot of of products have those big prices on the boxes. I never know whether to believe them or not.

UK! Most, if not all flashed prices are in £ ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

mars bar wrote: »
    I'm just back from Joyce's in Tuam as I wanted to buy a box of cappucino. It said €2.69 on the sticker underneath the box at the shelf so I had my €2.69 ready at the counter and she tells me it's over €3. She saw that I had €2.70 in my hand and tells me that the £2.59 on the box is the sterling price. Do I look stupid or something? I told her that it is in fact €2.69 and that was all I was giving her and that's what I got it for.

Yikes, you really have to be on the ball, don't you? It is annoying when you have to second guess every bill at the checkouts of supermarkets like Joyces and Super Valu. Most Super Valus I know of are notorious for not passing on their displayed special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

dambarude wrote: »
    I don't know where they source their goods
    aido76 wrote: »
    UK! Most, if not all flashed prices are in £ ;).

Yep. In this place, I believe - you can tell from their receipts. They have Nisa printed on the back of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I'm not sticking up for Joyces at all here but I've been shopping there about once a week, but not the main weekly shop more of going in to see what's on special offer there since they opened in Athenry,
    I always found them to have good offers on certain things but i have to admit that i never actually looked at the receipt in any detail.
    Your making me think i've probably lost or been miss charged a small fortune...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Was in supervalu in tuam today and availed of a three for the price of two offer and guess what? Was charged the full hog for the three items. Checked the docket immediately after and reported it to the woman at the till who almost took it personally as she reimbursed me the three euro. Is it any wonder that Tesco is so popular and it is high time they came to Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hotchoc

I pop in to Joyces Knocknacarra regularly and I don't know how many times I've said to myself - never again! The experience drives me to distraction but it's handy as it's on my way home late in the evening. The things that really bother me are:

- Overcharging - has happened me a number of times
    - No prices displayed - drives me absolutely crackers!
    - Till didn't recognise barcode on luxury item and the same thing happened repeatedly every time I bought that product causing a long wait at tills while they plucked a figure out of the air - every time it was different!
    - The radio station that is played as background is a disgrace. Late evening when I do my last minute shopping the chat show content is completely inappropriate and offensive 'shock joc' stuff.
    - No 'best before' date on packed vegetables (though that has improved)
    - Out of date products on sale
    - Christmas confectionary still on sale at full price on back wall behind checkouts makes such a poor impression
    - Staff do not handle queries well or know their products ( have to say though, there is a great middle aged foreign man that's really good on the fish counter and always very courteous)

I just wish they could get these things right! It could be such a great store and surely it wouldn't take much to have a process in place for each product that comes in the door to be priced properly on the system before going on the shelf.

Come on Joyces! You can surely do better! They had a notebook for feedback at the door at one stage. That was a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

I have to say that while Tesco is generally better at correct pricing, the standard of their shops in Ireland is terrible compared to the UK. We moved here 10 years ago, not long after they entered the market by taking over Quinnsworth.

They've improved since then, but the Galway shop is still below standard IMO. Their stock control is rubbish, with dozens of missing products at any given time all around the shop waiting for delivery. In the UK supermarket trade, it is almost a sacking offense to have empty shelf space on show, whether because of missing stock, but especially when there has been a run on something and is just waiting for a staff member to restock something that's available in the storeroom.

But of course despite this, Tesco make a killing in Ireland anyway, so get away without improving their standards. Sure, I still shop there! Mostly because they have the biggest range of products.

And Tesco Express on the Headford road out of the city is as bad a Joyce's, with poor quality fruit & veg, frequent incorrect pricing and constant examples of out-of-date products for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 skylock

Well i have shopped at Joyces in Tuam i have found the staff pleasant
    and the pricing quite Good no complaints here

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

skylock wrote: »
    Well i have shopped at Joyces in Tuam i have found the staff pleasant
    and the pricing quite Good no complaints here

i agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I find the queues in the Knocknacarra shop so frustrating. And the carpark can be pretty grim too, people just abandon their cars at times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Joyces in Knocknacarra are atrocious for not having prices displayed. I've often picked up something to buy but then I can't find a price so leave it back. Just yesterday, I was overcharged again!

I had a basket of stuff and one was a squeezy light mayo that had huge signs up saying special offer was €2.89 now €2
    It was really busy at the tills (as usual) so just fired everything into my bag. Then when I was packing away at home, I checked the receipt and sure enough I'd been charged €2.89:mad:

I do most of my shopping in Dunnes but Joyces closer and handy and I really like their shop (lovely fresh bakery and antipasti bar and good locally sourced veg etc) but it's hard to support a shop that keeps ripping off it's customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

After doing a direct comparison of 10 household items between Joyce's and O'Tooles, Joyce's were cheaper on 7 out of 10. I don't work for them, have nothing to do with them I was just solving an argument with a friend and lost! As far as I can remember the saving was something in the line of €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

I think joyces in athenry is great and no i dont work there.i think the bargains are great and any staff i have dealt with have been very nice.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

I haven't shopped in Joyce's for long long time, fed up of constantly being overcharged or the items advertised as discounted was never discounted. I have gone back to get the difference refunded and complain ( I know it's not the staff u complain too but when u ask for manager etc and no one to speak to u.... U have to say it to someone) and the manners of the staff is not friendly or apologetic when u gettin money back. So won't be seeing me there again..... Thankfully there is Hughes in Claregalway- great service, staff so friendly, helpful and bargains , receipts always correct. ( I dont work there)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Is it true that they were repackaging meat products when they went out of date? I know someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but I wonder is it true or just rumours?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

magentas wrote: »
    Is it true that they were repackaging meat products when they went out of date? I know someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but I wonder is it true or just rumours?

Well unless someone can link to a news source, we'll have to take it as being not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Well unless someone can link to a news source, we'll have to take it as being not true.

This do ya?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shop-fined-4000-for-keeping-rotten-meat-1078347.html

Thursday September 13 2007
    A SUPERMARKET has been fined €4,000 and ordered to pay €1,000 costs, after large quantities of foul smelling and decomposing raw meat were found on its premises.
    The discovery was made at Joyce's supermarket, Shangort Road, Knocknacarra, Salthill, Galway, by Environmental Health Officers. ...

JustMary wrote: »
    This do ya?

Nope
    ... Judge Mary Fahy said that while the meat involved was not for consumption the smell emanating from it must have permeated the whole premises. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

People really seem to have it in for Joyces,
    I shop in the Athenry branch and as far as i can tell... they are clean, more than can be said for some other places.
    Friendly enough, helpful enough, cheap ? they do great special offers that shame the big chains so on the whole they are a good Irish company doing a fine job...
    You lot seem to be a bunch of haters..kick, kick, keep on kicking till their dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

Shopped in Tuam branch and have to say the last 2 times- between overcharges , wrong sel's in front of wrong products and out of date products on shelves it was a nightmare, only thing I go in there for now is a box of miller / bud when on offer and even then check the dates.
    too many products with sterling prices and no shelf edge labels with irish prices. Dont know how they get away with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Shopped in Tuam branch and have to say the last 2 times- between overcharges , wrong sel's in front of wrong products and out of date products on shelves it was a nightmare, only thing I go in there for now is a box of miller / bud when on offer and even then check the dates.
    too many products with sterling prices and no shelf edge labels with irish prices. Dont know how they get away with it to be honest.

Heard on Galway Bay Fm that Headford shop was fined for not displaying prices.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    [/B]

Heard on Galway Bay Fm that Headford shop was fined for not displaying prices.

Not seeing anything online. Got a link?

Advertisement