Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bohsmug wrote: »
    I call BS on that one. What three chords are they then? Seriously the Oasis bashers embarrass themselves with silly arguments like that. If you want to criticise a band come up with a decent argument or at the very least something with at least a hint of truth to it.

D,E, and F obviously!

Eh, I'm not an Oasis basher if anything I'm a fan, not a huge one..

but enough to buy everything they've brought out and see them 5/6 times live.

turn on your cluedar thnx

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ntlbell wrote: »
    D,E, and F obviously!
    I woulda said he perhaps leans around C a lot. Throws in 6th and 7th with gay abandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dudess wrote: »
    Wow, do you not remember the hype?!
    Edit: I've just seen you're 18. Of course you don't remember the hype. Between 1994 and 1997 Oasis were everywhere. Then the hype died down, and deservedly so, because of the most unremarkable and tedious Be Here Now, an album that marked their downturn.

In your opinion.

The uber cool, music snob likes to criticise 'Be Here Now' despite the fact that it does in fact contain some top drawer songs that would have easily been at home on either of the first two albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't like when it's said that people dislike Oasis to be "cool" and are "snobs" for doing so. Maybe some are, but plenty simply dislike them because they find them crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Still like them, don't think they're past it or anything like that.

@Dudess: snob

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    In your opinion.

The uber cool, music snob likes to criticise 'Be Here Now' despite the fact that it does in fact contain some top drawer songs that would have easily been at home on either of the first two albums.

Definitley,

Magic Pie, I hope I think I know, The girl In the Dirty Shirt, Don't Go Away are just some personal favorite's but the album itself is no flop.

I've never bought 'be here now' but I always enjoy catching songs off it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bohsmug

D,E, and F obviously!

Eh, I'm not an Oasis basher if anything I'm a fan, not a huge one..

but enough to buy everything they've brought out and see them 5/6 times live.

turn on your cluedar thnx

It's just not true though re: the 3 chord thing. It's a lazy summation of a guitarist and it was an attempt on your behalf to belittle someone who said he thought Noel was an underated guitarist.

Turn on your chordar thanks.

bohsmug wrote: »
    It's just not true though re: the 3 chord thing. It's a lazy summation of a guitarist and it was an attempt on your behalf to belittle someone who said he thought Noel was an underated guitarist.

Turn on your chordar thanks.

cheer up kid, life's not that tough.

It was a bit of banter as the band themselves joke about noel and his 3 chords!

thanks for playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bohsmug

cheer up kid, life's not that tough.

It was a bit of banter as the band themselves joke about noel and his 3 chords!

thanks for playing!

Your welcome, I won though....

• Advertisement

Definitley,

Magic Pie, I hope I think I know, The girl In the Dirty Shirt, Don't Go Away are just some personal favorite's but the album itself is no flop.

To be fair that's a pretty shocking song.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with disliking Oasis. However, a lot of people do criticise 'Be Here Now' because a couple of reviewers said so.

I criticise it on the strength of what I heard off it - granted, not all of it, but Fanning, as well as less alternative DJs, played several tracks off it throughout the few months before and after its release (the summer of '97 - working in Tesco! Ah... memories!) At the time, I quite liked Oasis and looked forward to the album's release - I was very disappointed with D'Ya Know What I Mean, but I wasn't gonna let that make my mind up for me. So I heard other stuff - found it equally unremarkable, but I still wasn't gonna make up my mind. Then more stuff - still dull. Then I concluded this wasn't a good album (in my opinion) and I lost interest in them as a result.

I criticise it on the strength of what I heard off it - granted, not all of it, but Fanning, as well as less alternative DJs, played several tracks off it throughout the few months before and after its release (the summer of '97 - working in Tesco! Ah... memories!) At the time, I quite liked Oasis and looked forward to the album's release - I was very disappointed with D'Ya Know What I Mean, but I wasn't gonna let that make my mind up for me. So I heard other stuff - found it equally unremarkable, but I still wasn't gonna make up my mind. Then more stuff - still dull. Then I concluded this wasn't a good album (in my opinion) and I lost interest in them as a result.

So you haven't heard the whole album even once yet have written it off as crap?

I heard most of it (possibly all the tracks - there was an all-out blitz of Oasis on the radio at the time because of their massiveness and because of how hotly this album had been anticipated) and yes, I didn't like what I heard. New Order are one of my favourite bands and I brought their album Get Ready back to the shop on the strength of one listen. If it's predominantly bland, I'm not gonna wait around for it to grow on me.

The mind boggles. How can you listen to an album just once and have built up a concise opinion of it?

Work for Hotpress by any chance? :pac:

The mind boggles. How can you listen to an album just once and have built up a concise opinion of it?

Work for Hotpress by any chance? :pac:
    Inexplicably I was bought a Thompson Twins album back in the 80's by a relative that didn't know me very well. I knew that even after only playing one side that it wasn't for me. I didn't have to listen to May I Be Frank album Westlife at all to know that it just wouldn't grab me.
    Some people are just gifted maybe? As there's loads of albums that I haven't bought (or listened too) to know that it ain't my thing.

humberklog wrote: »
    Inexplicably I was bought a Thompson Twins album back in the 80's by a relative that didn't know me very well. I knew that even after only playing one side that it wasn't for me. I didn't have to listen to May I Be Frank album Westlife at all to know that it just wouldn't grab me.
    Some people are just gifted maybe? As there's loads of albums that I haven't bought (or listened too) to know that it ain't my thing.

Yes but just because it isn't your thing doesn't mean it's a bad album, it just doesn't appeal to you.

Yes but just because it isn't your thing doesn't mean it's a bad album, it just doesn't appeal to you.
    Yeah but I don't think The Dudess is trying to emote good peoples into believing that it's a bad album. She, like you and like I, is saying just that... In My(Her) Opinion.
    A P.S here too....If I was a female I'd think Noel was the sexiest thing on sliced bread.

Yeah but I don't think The Dudess is trying to emote good peoples into believing that it's a bad album. She, like you and like I, is saying just that... In My(Her) Opinion.

She didn't say it was her opinion though, which is why I responded.

This is the quote -
    Between 1994 and 1997 Oasis were everywhere. Then the hype died down, and deservedly so, because of the most unremarkable and tedious Be Here Now, an album that marked their downturn.

Now how can someone who hasn't even heard the whole bloody album describe it as 'unremarkable' and 'tedious'? Seriously.

She didn't say it was her opinion though, which is why I responded.
    Oh come, come. Who elses opinion was it? Very sticky.
    I don't think it's always necessary to bang in the suffix IMO. We know where it's coming from.
    Antway Noel, is he a sexy beast or what?!

• Advertisement

No way. I had a thing for Liam briefly when I was 17 or 18, but I got over it.

[quote=Xavi6;56710434

Now how can someone who hasn't even heard the whole bloody album describe it as 'unremarkable' and 'tedious'? Seriously.[/quote]

You can IMO. There are more albums out there that I haven't listened to at all never mind partly and know that they're rubbish/not my thing/not anyone in their right mind's thingIMO. IMO.

No way. I had a thing for Liam briefly when I was 17 or 18, but I got over it.
    He'd be too obvious for my (allbeit straight bloke) tastes.
    Noel would charm the y-fronts off me.

You can IMO. There are more albums out there that I haven't listened to at all never mind partly and know that they're rubbish/not my thing/not anyone in their right mind's thingIMO. IMO.

*sigh* Do I have to say it again?

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it rubbish. There's a huge difference between a crap album and an album which doesn't appeal to you.

Noel would charm the y-fronts off me.
    How can you find a man who looks like the following sexy?

130px-Parker_Thunderbirds.png

*sigh* Do I have to say it again?

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it rubbish. There's a huge difference between a crap album and an album which doesn't appeal to you.
    Oh come on X. The vast swathe is subjective indeed but surely some crap can be generally excepted as being crap. True there are children that scower rubbish heaps in Bangalore, sifting through other peoples rubbish for items that to them has some worth. But on the whole they are standing on a pile of sh!te. It's subjective but only if you're willing to take on board what people who've only ever lived on that pile of sh!te have to say about other peoples rubbish.
    Anyway who'd you go for Xavier Noel or Liam?

I have no problem with opinions both positive and negative - if you've actually heard the album! Seriously I just don't understand how an opinion can be formed and a generalisation made without actually experiencing something.

And to answer your question, I was big into Noel as a kid. He was seriously cool while Liam was always portrayed as a wanker. Now though Liam is just a legend.

Both are City fans though so I'd buy them a pint any day of the week.

How can you find a man who looks like the following sexy?

130px-Parker_Thunderbirds.png
    Who is this hunk of wood before my moist lions! I can see the most wonderous de-flowering manage-a-trois occuring. Miss Penelope would salivate at such a sandwich.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd really like to see a pic of your moist lions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Anyway who'd you go for Xavier Noel or Liam?
    Xavier is a Guinness head Portugese drug taker, ever so slightly different from the world class Xavi Hernandez whom he refers to.

Advertisement