Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Boxing Clubs

• 27-07-2008 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I was living with my cousins in America there for a couple of years and my cousin did boxing over there so I took it up and I moved back to Ireland a couple of months ago and stopped boxing. It was good fun though I wanna start up again but I don't know where to go. Can anyone recommend some good clubs with good reputation?

I'm aiming for clubs in the northside because I live in Kinsealy but I don't mind taking the bus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Cowzerp isn't far from you, he's in Rush. He'll be along shortly I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The best boxing club near you is Darndale boxing club!
    im biased as it used to be my club and still is to a degree!
    i base my assesment on its success which is unrivalled at junior level by almost any club nationwide, 1 or 2 are similar but not consistently like Darndale is.

Like most clubs they only want boxers who intend on competing, dont know if thats an intention of yours?

another notable club nearby is baldoyle boxing club, they have had boxers win all irelands and represent ireland so are doing something right.

After that you'd be best of heading into the city to st, saviours! a bit further but another very good club.

Link to dublin boxing clubs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055011478

Let us know if you need more info or help..

There is 2 less competitive clubs in swords and 1 in portmarnock too that might suit you...distance wise! cant comment on there training as i never trained with them, just success in competitions..im not knocking any of these by the way.:)

JON mentioned me too! i teach MMA with lots of boxing as part of it as thats my background, kind of full at the moment thougfh as space is limited at the moment, looking for a premises though and will run a boxing club when i do!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Hey Paul are you registered with the IABA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Jon wrote: »
    Hey Paul are you registered with the IABA?

I am registered as a coach but through darndale, my club is not as we only compete mma. When i get my premises i'll register the club with the iaba.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Good stuff, would be a good call for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

I have to disagree with Cowzerp re swords, they are a competive club always have one or two winners in the league, ok they don't have any seniors but thats because they drop off after 17-18. Bracken in Balbriggan is a real up and coming club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Probably are a few factors that influence where you should box. Age? Competiveness? SKill level?

The darndale club is on the 43 route but the swords club is within walking distance (the one that is/used to be in the old library). i think there is one in rivervalley too (or perhaps the only one) that be too far to walk but a easy cycle. or get the 102.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BogWog

Thanks alot. Yeah Darndales probably the closest to me and if it has a good reputation I might as well join. I'm still a fairly low skill level and I broke my hand badly last year and it still hasn't healed properly so it'll be a good while before I start competing but they can't expect me to join and start fighting a few days later.

Advertisement