Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

babys first flight

Options
  • 27-07-2008 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    we are hoping to bring our 3 month old baby to spain in september. However I am unsure how I can bring his milk onto the plane. From reading the airport website it just refers to formula. I would prefer to add the formula powder just before he needs it. Can I take the boiled water airside? Failing that if I brought cartons of formula would security want to open them?
    Im very clueless on this baby thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They'll give you hot water on the plane so just bring along the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

brilliant! I assume that this includes lets say, the more 'basic' airlines. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Hi, just back from a holiday in Portugal with our 11 month old... We had no problem with security either side when we brought along about six baby bottles full of water plus a full beaker for him. Like you were saying, we brought our formula in a little dispenser. Once they see the baby and you tell them you have 'baby fluids' in your bag you'll be fine. On our way back they took a yogurt but let us take his water and a jar of puree through which was all we needed. My advice would be bring your water, don't depend on air hostess's etc to give you some as you need to have it there for your baby to keep him hydrated from the minute you step foot in the airport til you reach your accomodation as It'll be so stuffy and warm and also the sucking during take off and landing will help his little ears from popping. Best of luck x

Also i just wanted to tell you what we did re sterilising.. Instead of bringing our bulky steriliser with us we bought some milton cold water sterilising tablets in boots and when we got to the destination we bought a large cheap bucket/basin and basically used that with the right amount of water and tablets etc. Then we left the basin there when we were leaving. Also bring enough formula as i noticed the price of Aptimal (the only formula the supermarket stocked) was over 25 euro as opposed to 13.99 here!

Thanks Glass Woman. Thats one less thing to worry about now.:)

• Advertisement

Ah thats great to know. Its stuff like this that the "lady in the book" doesnt mention.

Yeah you're right there! I think i stopped going by 'the book' when my son was only about a month old! I hope your son is a good traveller. My little one was a joy, thank god, i had read so many horror stories about babies and planes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You know the problem with ' The Book '....

The kids haven't read it :)

Good luck enjoy your holiday

aye true enough! Ive given up on 'The Book' some time back! Im now on the hunt for a baby translater. I also have a deep feeling that everyone on the plane will be hoping that dat my lad is a good traveller too.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The ready made cartons can be taken through security without being checked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

i brought our little fella from uk to ireland they allowed babys bottles. But if not they allow 100mls of fluid, get three bottles with 100mls one for you one for daddy one for baby. You should have more then enough there

axel rose wrote: »
    hi all,
    we are hoping to bring our 3 month old baby to spain in september. However I am unsure how I can bring his milk onto the plane. From reading the airport website it just refers to formula. I would prefer to add the formula powder just before he needs it. Can I take the boiled water airside? Failing that if I brought cartons of formula would security want to open them?
    Im very clueless on this baby thing!

hey there lost in nappies. Unfortunately the liquid has to be in a container no bigger than 100mls. I think glass woman might be onto something. Thanks though:)

Yeah it really shouldn't be a problem. The worst they can do is get you to taste it. But since my little one was drinking his bottle going through security that wasn't necessary!

Yeah it really shouldn't be a problem. The worst they can do is get you to taste it.

Thank god I stopped expressing!!!!!!! :eek:

God for some reason i had you down as a man! Sorry about that!! Must've been the username!

aye my username is kind of masculine .....I have absolutely no idea why I chose it...... Im not even a fan of axel.
    I can only put it down to sleep depravation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Magical

Just a quick question for you learned ladies, flying with 2.5 month old soon and need to know about car seats.

We need to bring our car seat with us and Im wondering about bringing it on board to the cabin, do they allow this or does it have to be checked in and if so do they not fling it around the place and run the risk of damage???

You already answered my question re: bottles so thanks for that!

I would imagine you could bring it on board, because its hardly much bigger than most people's carry on cases. Failing that, if it attaches to your buggy you could hand it over at the plane steps so it can be 'placed' into the hold. (yeah right, they managed to break the hood of our buggy but how and ever!) I certainly wouldn't check it through with your cases anyway. It might be a good idea to give the airline a ring just to be sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Magical wrote: »
    Just a quick question for you learned ladies

This is the Parenting forum not the Mammies forum :) there's lots of dads here too.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Yes, formula in other countries tends to be way more expensive than here and also have a lot of Nestle. SMA do very handy sachets of powder - just add to the water, I brought a load of these and some cartons (for emergencies) rather than a bulky tin.
    I would bring my own water onto the plane just in case they aren't fully boiling the water, also ask your PHN about the types of bottled water you can use - some have too high of a sodium content for littl' uns - this is also handy to know, if like us the mains water is shut-off without any notification.

Have babs take a bottle during take-off as it will stop ears popping. Milton tabs are good, & don't forget a bottle washer - unless you have a very long and skinny fingers :D
    Bring along enough nappies too, as it may take you a day or two to find some especially if you land on a sat evening/sun when most shops will be closed.
    Most times we went travelling with our dd, she had one whole case with all her stuff, while mom and dad shared a case - we try to travel light & go with carryon most of the time.
    Hope you have a brillant holiday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement