Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power (bhp) games - wheres it all going to end?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    As I said, if what you claim is true, I'll pay for the dyno run.

I didn't claim anything :confused:

According to the manual, my car produces 310bhp. You, however, reckoned that my car probably produces less than 200bhp by now (because it is now 22 years old?). You're making a bit of a fool of yourself with a statement like that, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

unkel wrote: »

According to the manual, my car produces 310bhp. You, however, reckoned that my car probably produces less than 200bhp by now (because it is now 22 years old?). You're making a bit of a fool of yourself with a statement like that, tbh...

Chill guys:D

JHMEG is probably off the mark with his comment that the power is down to 200bhp (a long way off I'd wager)

But unkel, you're getting very hot under the collar about this. It's like the power output of your Porsche is some totem of your manhood or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness, the more power his porsche has, the hotter he is in my mind*

*not actually true....he's always hot in my mind**

**also not actually true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would the gentlemen please steer back on topic?

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LOL, you watch too much top gear. It's a relatively modern 80s Porsche, not a dodgy neglected Italian 70s once-upon-a-supercar

Didn't the Top Gear "lets see how many HP we have left" test also find a British and a *German* car had gone to the dogs over the years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

With the cost of running cars these days I think the manufacturers should be using their resources to improve efficiency and alternative ways to power the cars rather than improve on power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My 22 year old classic car produces 310bhp.
    You, however, reckoned that my car probably produces less than 200bhp by now (because it is now 22 years old?).
    Yep, maybe less than 200bhp, maybe not, but certainly down on the 310bhp you claim. This is an alusil engine with no cylinder liners. Clarkson referred to this engine I think as the one that eats itself from the inside out.
    unkel wrote:
    You're making a bit of a fool of yourself with a statement like that, tbh...
    Mmmm. Rather than getting personal, why don't you dyno the car? If your claim is true I'll pay for the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echo hotel

Biro wrote: »
    True, there's a hell of a lot more to a fun machine than pace and power!
    (However, the Aerial Atom provides both!! )
    The E30 M3 would have a lot more character than the E46 I reckon. Haven't been in an E30, but I found the E46 a very competent and complete car, but lacked something. Lacked some kind of feel, or sense of occasion or something.

aerial atom thats all you need to say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echo hotel

does nobody take into account gear ratios i have a 300bhp subaru a subaru world rally car puts out around the same but the gear box in a WRC is so advanced that my car wouldn't have a hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

echo hotel wrote: »
    does nobody take into account gear ratios i have a 300bhp subaru a subaru world rally car puts out around the same but the gear box in a WRC is so advanced that my car wouldn't have a hope
    The gearbox on a F1 car is pretty efficient too, doubt there'd be much left of it after 30k miles though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I notice a lot of people here talking about the "German" power wars. I'd reckon it has slightly more to do with the Lexus IS350 and Infiniti G35 knocking on the doors of the Germans. BMW started with 2.5 and 2.8 litre engines in their previous gen 3, but the Japanese pretty much forced their hand, so they gave it a 3.0 litre halfway though the product cycle, and the current lineup sees a twin-turbo 3.0 litre.

Advertisement