Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structured PhD at UCD

Options
  • 27-07-2008 6:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi

I'm starting a research PhD in UCD this year, in biological sciences. I'm wondering does anybody have any experience of their new "Structured PhD" programme?

The information on the website about what this actually means is fairly sketchy, and when I phone I keep just getting transferred around the place.

So does anybody have good or bad experiences? Are the available taught courses in research skills etc good? Interesting? Is there access to undergrad modules which may be of interest? Does the new name actually mean anything or is it just a name, and graduate research students are left to fend for themselves as per usual?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

It's the same as the old PhD except you must get some credits by taking classes. There is a new layer of bureaucracy that manages all this, and it has led to additional forms that must be filled out, and special meetings between you, your supervisor, and doctoral studies panel.

There is a 'transfer assessment' procedure where they can kick you out after 1-1.5 years if you are not performing, and the rules are much stricter on finishing it within a maximum of 4 years. The government have set the target of doubling the number of PhD graduates, so i'd expect that people will be pushed into a viva much more quickly in future, and the standard of research that will pass at a viva will probably be lower than it was previously.

I'm not saying these are all bad features of the new system though! All that matters is that you do good research, the structured stuff is all just for show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Regarding the taught aspects of the structured PhD... It depends on what aspect your taking. I know some people in Arts who are pursuing a PhD under the new system and really had problems with the research skills seminars as they were completely irrelevant to what they were studying. For example, literature students were required to take modules on statistics, etc. Probably would have suited economics students, etc better. Some of the undergrad courses are quite interesting, but again, that will depend what's on offer and what area you're reseraching!

Best of luck with the PhD!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You can in fact gain all your 'credits' by research, as I've done so far. It's just that the option exists. But all in all, it's just too much bureaucracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Thanks for the replies folks.

As I suspected, it seems to be just more UCD paperwork and everything that goes with it!

Ah well, head down and start work on the research, and see what, if anything, I can get out of the new system to benefit me.

Advertisement