Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question

Options
  • 27-07-2008 7:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, posted this in the lc forum, but just said I post it here as well.

Note, there is parts where im attempting to be funny, its actually pretty serious for me.

Alright lads,

Ok I just got FETAC results back yesterday and I did fairly ****....4 distinctions and 2 merits.

I had hopes of going to UCD(Arts, second time fail by the way counting LC last year) however the minimum requirement was 5 distinctions with Archaelogy needed to be one of those distinctions. I got a merit.

Anyway in my boredom, I just decided to send a letter(e-mail) to the humanities department with a ****ing epic tale of a young man whose one ambition in life was to attend UCD.

I outlined my love for History, and how no other course in Ireland offered the wide ranging history matter which Arts can offer.

I explained that I got an A in the Leaving Cert in History.

I said I understood that even with 5 distinctions the prospects of entering were slim(25 places) but if not all places were taken up could I at least have the chance of attending Uto the C to the D.

So yeah what hope have I got? If this was in the movie.....the whole of UCD was stand up and applaud slowly once my e-mail was read.....a letter would arrive at my door indicating that 'we're delighted to welcome you to UCD'', but knowing Ireland they will be like robots....'no sorry, we have no emotion...we are not real people, we judge by numbers''.

If I got in, it would be the ultimate coming of age moment....I would get a film crew as I hop off the bus on the 8th of September, and take a shot of me as I walk through the campus with the camera going further and further away before I look back for a split second and walk off into the sunset.

So yeah I know for a fact the 25 places won't be allocated.....20 max I would say. I'm really hoping that the UCD staff at least here my proposal out.

As I said I outlined my determination to give 100% in the course.

Do you think I even have a chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nah man, can't imagine so...

Sorry! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Oh....well that was a bit of an anti-climax.

Wait for their response anyway....maby they will pity me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I can't see them bending the rules. It's like someone saying they didn't meet the minimum requirements set by the CAO but sending an email saying 'I will give 100%'. I don't think they would give the benefit of doubt about effort if you didn't already put 100% into achieving the minimum requirements.

You probably should have sent a serious email, without 'epic tale', when asking for a place. But, I hope I'm wrong.

I didn't put that into the actual e-mail....:D

Jesus, what do you think I am?

But yeah you're right the chances are slim if non-existent, but as I said there are 25 places allocated which have no chance of being filled.

The fact that a merit is next down from a distinction I just felt that if places were not filled I would at least have the opportunity of persuading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Anyway in my boredom, I just decided to send a letter(e-mail) to the humanities department with a ****ing epic tale of a young man whose one ambition in life was to attend UCD.
    That made me think you actually sent the story to them :P.

• Advertisement

Ha. LOL. Imagine that.

Well mods, lock this if you want, my hopes have been shattered enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sorry esteban! Try a different avenue :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

How close are you to 23 years old? The words "mature student" may be applicable at some point in your future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

How far off distinction are you? Would it be worth an appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I was also going to suggest that, if you were over 23 you apply for a place as a mature student. Would be well worth trying for. I think you may have to write a letter of introduction explaining why you are interested in the place, etc.

If not, you mention that you got an A in your leaving cert history. How did you do in your other subjects? Would you have any hope of getting a place in Arts on the basis of your leaving cert results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

can we see the epic email? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭June2008

Have u considered the FETAC students that have actually met the requirements? If the college gives u the place then that would mean denying someone who is rightly entitled to that place. My friend is also trying to get into UCD with FETAC and has 10 distinctions which is the max u can get but she will still be put into a lottery with other FETAC students who have gotten lower results. Arguably it would be much more upsetting if she didnt get a place and if u with an albeit epic email did. I know its harsh but If you wanted it that bad then u should've worked harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I outlined my determination to give 100% in the course.
    Has it dawned on you you might not be up to the challenge?
    I just got FETAC results back yesterday and I did fairly ****....4 distinctions and 2 merits....however the minimum requirement was 5 distinctions with Archaelogy needed to be one of those distinctions. I got a merit.

second time fail by the way counting LC last year

****ing epic tale of a young man whose one ambition in life was to attend UCD.

If this was in the movie.....the whole of UCD was stand up and applaud slowly once my e-mail was read

If I got in, it would be the ultimate coming of age moment

See above

I just decided to send a letter(e-mail)
    A letter would have been better.

So yeah I know for a fact the 25 places won't be allocated.....20 max I would say. I'm really hoping that the UCD staff at least here my proposal out.
    Well I think thats strange, but who am I to argue since you said FACT [sic]?
    What are you basing your assumption on?

Do you think I even have a chance?
    Stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm not from 'round these parts, so I had to read up on just what FETAC is, and I'm going to summarise the problem for my own edification:
    - OK: the "5 distinctions" requirement is given if you enter the degree code (DN012) on the CAO site, and it's also given in this document.
    - I'm assuming that your FETAC award is one of those that UCD requires for Arts: ECHSX, ELESX, or ELAXX.
    - that seems pretty cut-and-dried: it's 5 distinctions minimum, and after that it's still competitive. That is, it would not necessarily be enough to get the 5.

However, have you seen this leaflet from FETAC? It talks about the progression path from FETAC Level 5 certificates to higher education. According to the "rainbow" diagram on pg.2, Leaving Certificates are also Level 5. The leaflet also says that the CAO uses a points system to evaluate FETAC distinctions, merits or passes i.e. it's not a lottery.

So, I'm wondering whether that A you got on the Leaving Certificate might count as a FETAC distinction, since they're both Level 5 qualifications? In that case, I imagine* you could scrape in, as long as there is no competition for the places! But I don't hold out much hope for any "special pleading" on its own - I'm sure they've seen it all before.

* i.e. don't quote me on that. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

First of all I'm afraid you cannot combine Leaving Cert and FETAC qualifications to give you the 5 distinctions needed. You can apply based on your Leaving cert qualifications or based on your FETAC results but not on a combination of both.

You need a minimum of 5 distinctions but most FETAC applicants getting into UCD would have 8 distinctions. It is your best 8 distinctions that count for points.

For course DN012, Your award must be one of the three awards stated.

You also need to get distinctions in the required Modules stated.

I' afraid your e-mail or letter to the humanities department might be of no use as you appear not to have met the minimum entry requirements and they must look at all the FETAC applicants that have the requirements first.

Hope this helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Maybe this is just for disadvantaged students, or then again maybe it's just for prospective Trinity students, but what about the ACCESS programme? I have friends who entered the ACCESS programme (which allowed for leverage if they hadn't reached the minimum points) in Trinity and are flying high right now doing Law/ Business Studies/ Social Studies. Am I wrong people?:confused:

Advertisement