Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low salt

• 27-07-2008 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to reduce my salt take in an effort to reduce blood pressure. I work out regularly, am not overweight and eat a fairly balanced diet. However, my blood pressure is still high and is being treated by medication.

Anywho, I am trying to find products that are no salt/very low salt to see if this has any impact. Particularly normal stuff like bread, cheese etc. Anyone have any recommendations for any products or where one might find such products?

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling with 'Flora - no salt' available in (some) Tesco's, but that's about as far as I've got!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

A little salt in your diet isn't that bad for you. Keep an eye on the GDA on packets of things, if your getting over the 50% mark of salt there's probably harm being done.
    I've had the high blood pressure scare thing on me, the last time I gave blood.
    The way I solved it was, more excerise and trying to keep my diet clean. In other words cooking from fresh as much as possible.
    I don't add any salt too anything I cook, and I don't have salt on my table. Do NOT add salt too cooked food when its on your plate!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Cutting carbs is one of the most effective way of controlling blood pressure. If you want to add salt to food, ensure it's sea salt which is packed with trace minerals along with sodium.

Best way forward is to cut out processed food altogether, if not for the salt, then for the hidden sugar they are packed with.

Also, flora is horrible processed unnatural food. Stick with unsalted butter..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Look for the low sodium salts..ie the ones that have Potassium Chloride...I know they dont quite taste the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭more tea vicar

Quitting all the tinned foods, bacon, ham and processed shíte is the way to go. Cut back on smoked mackerels, soup, bread and cereals too, cereals have one of the highest levels of hidden sodium.

Sodium has no guarantee of raising blood pressure, it can lower it too, it is just that very high levels can have some effect on blood pressure variation.

The average diets should be at about 6 mg of salt or 2.4 mg of sodium but we have on average about 8 mg compared with up to 40 mg equivalent because of MSG in the diets of the east, but they seem quite healthy all round so don't think it is all about sodium.

Sea salt is bullshít, it is just sodium chloride and no more minerals to make any effect that we get in our diets anyway.

If we are healthy all firing on all cylinders, our renal system can get rid of excess sodium and a signal is sent by our hypothalamus to drink more and thus dissolve in lower concentrations our salt levels and urinate it out of our system.

Drink more, and eat less shíte, but keep in shape and ye should be good to go.

Advertisement