Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy ( CBT ) ???

• 27-07-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

I've heard alot about this recently for social issues.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Has anyone had it ? With who ?

Thanks
    Any help greatly appreciated . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

REDMAN1983 wrote: »
    Hi

I've heard alot about this recently for social issues.

what do you mean by social issues?
    if you mena low self-esteem, shyness, social phobia, then yes, cbt could be helpful for you. its useful for anxiety disorders, such as phobias, and for mild depression also.

its about identifying patterns of negative thinking that leads to negative behaviour, (vicious circle) and then changing those patterns of thinking. needs work with (usually) a psychologist, about 10 one hr sessions. you get homework to do, in the form of keeping diary of how you think, then act , then think based upon the consequences of that action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I've had a good few sessions of CBT and must say that what sam34 has said is all correct about it. If you have been given the opportunity to take CBT sessions, then I believe that you should accept. I don't think I should be giving out the name of the therapist to you. Whatever the case, you should go to your GP first, get assessed, and then get referred to someone else (possibly a CBT therapist).

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Better suited to Psychology.

Moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What is CBT? easy answer here in many different languages:
    http://www.eabct.com/what_is_cbt.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

• Advertisement
Advertisement