Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's noisy exotic birds

Options
  • 27-07-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have recently purchased a house in a quiet cul de sac.
    Unfortunately my next door neighbour keeps exotic birds in his
    house. Don't know what type as I've only met them a few times and
    haven't discussed the matter.
    He has had them a long time as far as I know, as the past owner
    told me. I was wondering are there any environmental agencies
    or legal proceeedings to have them removed.
    Similar situation to a noisy dog barking I suppose.
    This isn't "tweet tweet" its like a banshee whail/scream!
    Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Well, I'm not sure how this act covers birds, but it does cover everything thats noisy; including dogs

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations

Hope that helps ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dont know what legal actions you could take but id say it would be in your best interest to try and settle it outside of legal action.

if you actually planning on living there then it might not be a great idea to piss off your neighbour by having his pets removed.

Request that he add some sound proofing to the area that he keeps the birds.

or next time your talking to him say something like 'from my house i can hear that you have some birds, what kind are they'

and hopefully you will get a response like 'oh sorry do they make that much noise'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Be tactful, it might even be easier to let it slide. Taking someones birds away from them could break the person completely or you could gain a serious enemy. Birds shouldn't make much noise at night if the neighbour keeps them in natural light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

I have to say as a parrot owner, I would much prefer someone come over and tell me about the noise complaints rather than go through legal channels. at least that way I would be more likely to try and help rather than fight it tooth and nail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If they are kept in the house and the neighbour keeps windows where the birds are located closed that should help, simply ask. Although if the noise is coming through even with windows closed not sure what you can do.
    I think it would be best to tell them that the birds are causing a problem and if they would mind keeping them at perhaps the other end of the house.

The birds could be making so much noise because they are bored are lonley it depends on the bird and how he is keeping them. Bird are silent at night once it starts getting dark but the minute the light appears they are off again so you could ask him to keep them in a darkened room until later in the morning.
    Birds require approx 12 hours daylight so they can't be kept in the dark all day.

I know I would be peed off if someone didn't tell me directly and just went off and complained to the authorities if my birds are causing a problem I would be able to deal with it without it getting out of hand.

Be nice about it people can be sensative about their pets and last thing you need is to make an enemy out of someone living so close.

See how you go with him first, if you get a torrent of abuse then I would prob. report it then because you won't get anywhere with him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement