Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman movie

Options
  • 27-07-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen this? Suitable for a 10 - 11 year old? It's under 15's accompanied, but you know yourself.....

Talking about "The dark knight" btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not a parent but I've seen it and given how the Joker explains how he got his scars I would say no.

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's 2.5hrs long, and the storyline would be far too complex for a 10 year old.

How about -
    Journey to Centre of Earth 3D (PG)
    Kung Fu Panda (PG)
    Wall-E (G)
    Hancock (12)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I won't be bringing my 10 year old to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Definitely not, I saw it yesterday and there was a little boy beside me and I couldn't believe it....he looked around 10 years old. Way too scary for that age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Depends on the child,did he see the 1st one.Does he scare easily that would be the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was brought to see the first Batman movie at 8. I really enjoyed it but then it was not exactly "suitable" for my age to be honest..

From a PC point of view, probably not suitable. A 10 year old would probably get more enjoyment from Wall E or whatever etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Make your decision based on your child and the content on the film. There are huge differences in development between children at 10/11.

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/d/darkknight.htm

^ List of every single thing in the movie with the potential to cause harm/offence.

It's probably worth noting that it's a 12A in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for all the replies.
    Make your decision based on your child and the content on the film.

To be honest, I want to see the film myself (I've heard that it's really good) so I'm trying to avoid any spoilers. That's making it hard to make an informed decision. :)

Thanks for the list though.

That /is/ interesting.
    I'm not a parent but I've seen it and given how the Joker explains how he got his scars I would say no.

I think that's enough for me tbh. I'll err on the side of caution. I'll go and watch it myself with my wife first and report back on whether or not I think it'd be suitable for someone his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its not necessarily any of what is shown, in fact they seem to go a long way not to show and blood or real suffering, but a lot of what is implied is quite disturbing - I'm not sure if you want a 10 year old asking you about a fight to the death with a snooker cue.

While http://www.kids-in-mind.com/d/darkknight.htm lists low- to mid-level sex, nudity, profanity and substance abuse they are at levels that are almost un-noticeable against the violence, malice, intimidation and manipulation.

Good film. And at 2h30 really wears you down.

• Advertisement

Holy sh*t victor. Do you really have 37000 actual posts? I thought I was a waster. You're my hero!

On topic: Implied stuff is a fine line. It's why the simpsons wins across the age divide; It's not just innuendo that's over childrens heads. They imply stuff but kids just wont pick up on it for the most part (smithers sexuality for example).

Anyway....I'll watch it during the week and see what I think. Will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Khannie wrote: »
    Holy sh*t victor. Do you really have 37000 actual posts? I thought I was a waster. You're my hero!

On topic: Implied stuff is a fine line. It's why the simpsons wins across the age divide; It's not just innuendo that's over childrens heads. They imply stuff but kids just wont pick up on it for the most part (smithers sexuality for example).

The simpsons has some woeful stuff in it. Lots of gore and violence, mooning. I like the simpsons but its really for adults.

BostonB wrote: »
    The simpsons has some woeful stuff in it. Lots of gore and violence, mooning. I like the simpsons but its really for adults.

Get out of it. Ye big bush voter ye. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Khannie wrote: »

I watched it last night. The violence is implied and they definitely went to great lengths to avoid bloodshed on screen. Whether a 10 year old would pick up on what was going on would depend on the 10 year old I think but as a film, weighing in at 2.5 hours and having a dark (yet still important) message I'd say that there are better options out there for kids. Many of the themes were mature, not in a sexually explicit or violent way but in a gritty real life is a bitch kind of way where essentially there's a blurring of the lines between the anti-hero and hero stereotypes. Depending on the kid and the family this may or may not be a problem but it really comes down to how complicated your morality discussions have been with them. If they're still living in a black and white good/bad world, then the underlying story might not sit well with their world-view.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was thinking about this and I suppose that proves its not suited for a 10 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I'm not a parent but after seeing the film I really don't think it's suitable for a ten year old child. The content is very adult in nature as well as being consistently violent throughout. Heath Ledger's intense portrayal of the Joker was aptly chilling and left me feeling frequently unsettled. The overall tone to the movie is dark and raises many unorthodox questions in the realm of Good versus Bad, Hero versus Villain. In general I would say that the movie lacks any fairytale qualities that would warrant a child's viewing.

Victor wrote: »
    I was thinking about this and I suppose that proves its not suited for a 10 year old.

How so? It's "under 12's accompanied by an adult", no?
    nesf wrote: »
    If they're still living in a black and white good/bad world, then the underlying story might not sit well with their world-view.

Hehe. Interesting that you should bring it up....we had a discussion about war the other night....it was prompted by "war is stupid". In general I agree with that statement, but I played devils advocate for a bit and asked him if he was the leader of a nation where people are starving, would he consider using force to acquire food from a more affluent neighbouring nation (who had sufficient food to feed both themselves and his nation), or let his people suffer and possibly die. He had no trouble saying that he'd take the food by force.

Anyway....I'm looking forward to this film now. Sounds like very good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

The movie is great, but I definately wouldn't take a 10 year old to it.

Going to see it tonight if we can get a babysitter. Can't wait! 9.3 / 10 on imdb after 175000 votes! Savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Went to see this last night and I agree with the other posters the violence/gore is implied rather than shown.

I'm the mother of a 4 yr old girl so maybe that might influence my opinion but I wouldn't take any child under 12 to see it and even over 12 I would have my doubts.

There were 3 young fellas that looked about 10 behind us laughing during some of the more depressing/disturbing scenes and to be honest them laughing actually disturbed me more.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Heading tomorrow night myself. Also looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Being honest, I'm 19 and if I was a parent (Hopefully not for awhile :D) I'd let my children of ten years watch it. It is dark, it is violent, but why, might I ask, should you protect your child from it? Do you honestly see your child becoming a Joker type character in the future? Do you see him robbing banks or becoming a criminal after watching it? What negative aspects after watching it would the child do? I'm genuinely curious. I've always known movies to be fake and just entertainment, way before I was ten. To that person who said the story was too complex, at that age I watched complex movies and sometimes understood the meaning. (Even at 19 some movies meaning are hard to get) The story shouldn't be a reason to not let them watch it.

I wouldn't take my child, only if they were bullying people or they only answer their problems through violence. Maybe my views might change when I have a child, but I honestly can't see what the big fuss is.

Well....quality film. Definitely the best of the Batman series.

Honestly though....You're all a bit more sensitive than me. The film is borderline suitable / unsuitable for my youngfella IMO (and you should bear in mind that we left one of the harry potter movies a few years ago because he was scared). I definitely wouldn't be saying "OMG! NO WAY!". Another year and I'd have no problem letting him watch it. He is 11 at the start of September so that's worth bearing in mind.

Sure, it's dark, it deals with difficult moral questions, but let's face it, there's no gratuitous sex and basically everything really dark is implied (with one very visual exception).

I think Cokehead Mother's right in that differences in development are as much a part of the decision as your individual concerns as a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Very well said Khannie.. I saw it the other day and really loved it (especially the joker) and there was lots of kids at it, some definitely under 10, which I was surprised at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Plenty of children's stories and books have a dark edge which is fine, positive even, and I think Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard have filled us in on some of that. I guess it comes down to what people feel their kids can handle which is pretty subjective really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

From a different perspective: When I went to see the film there were some kids in the audience (deginitely no older than 10) with their parents and as the film got scarier they started to cry very loudly and it was SO irritating for other people in the audience. >:(

So if your 10 year old's a complete pussy keep him way from it for the sake of the rest of the people in the cinema :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Decis

There is no way I would let a 10/11 year old see that movie. 2 Face and "watch me make this pencil disappear" are enough to rule it out
    Good flic though
    Decis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I saw it at the 10.10 showong on Sun night and there were a few kids at it, didn't finish till about 12.30. There was one toddler who was playing on the steps for pretty much the whole film. He wasn't making any noise or disturbing the film but his parents were in one of the front rows and he went the whole way up to the back without them coming for him, he was small enough that he was a bit wobbly on the steps. I thought that was pretty bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Way too dark for me to consider bringing a child to it, the entire plot-line is quite a dark moral concept, the Joker's the most genuinely scary bad guy since Hannibal Lector, Two-Face looks grotesque, the explanation of the scars etc. The movie is very clearly edited to avoid the 18's cert. Adherance to the specifications doesn't necessarily make it any less likely to induce nightmares imho.

Couldn't believe when I saw a guy in the cinema I watched it in there with two kids that were definitely under 8 (I'd have guessed at 4 and 6 respectively).

Maybe as an expecting father I'm being overly sensitive but I genuinely feel at the moment that Dark Knight is a movie for Adults or 16+ at the very least.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Maybe as an expecting father I'm being overly sensitive but I genuinely feel at the moment that Dark Knight is a movie for Adults or 16+ at the very least.

Don't be mental. There isn't a 14 year old in the country that would be genuinely disturbed by that film. :)

Advertisement