Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman movie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I can't imagine a 14-year old would have a problem with the film. However, it's your kids, so your choice. I think back after watching a film and decide, at what age would I have understood that film and apply it to my (future) kids. I don't know if I would've gotten all of the theme's in the movie back then, however I do know it's just an action movie, and not real. So, I'd definatly say this movie would be fine for my 14 year old. (As long as they aren't bullys or violent)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Khannie wrote: »
    Don't be mental. There isn't a 14 year old in the country that would be genuinely disturbed by that film. :)
    Probably true, I guess I'm just getting too used to being around very little kids!

I suppose I'm also looking at it from the perspective of the fact that ratings tend to be little more than guidelines and most people I know have little problem allowing their 14 year olds to watch an 18's movie once they know the contents of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Khannie wrote: »
    Don't be mental. There isn't a 14 year old in the country that would be genuinely disturbed by that film. :)

If you're right, then God help us all. Kids that age should be learning to understand that violence should be avoided at all costs. In fairness to the film-makers, they did everything they could to include the dread, intimidation, fear and agony that comes with violent acts. In contrast to the previous films (by Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher) the last 2 have gone out of their way to be as realistic as possible.

A mature kid will understand the meaning behind the film---I won't spoil it but even Batman's actions come into question, something usually kept solely for the bad guys---but an immature kid (which, if they're ten, is to be expected) will love the Joker for his fearlessness in the face of authority, his callous disregard for human life and his joy in maiming, manipulating and terrorising countless people.

I'd rather a kid be frightened out of their wits by the film. least then they won't imitate what they see.

Personally I don't think 15A is an appropriate rating. Cutting blood out of screenshot doesn't soften the psychological effects of violence, only softens the consquences. They should have elft the gore in and made it a solid 15 or 18 (I think they got rid of 15 didn't they???---If they did, then the parents should know well enough by the trailers)

If you're looking for a fun superhero film try Iron Man (is that still out?) or Hellboy 2. Both have suitably "soft" violence, but they have nice messages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Personally, I wouldn't approve of kids that young seeing it. I'm 19, and I thought bits of it were pretty scary, and at 10/11, it would have given me nightmares... though maybe I'm just a wimp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    Personally I don't think 15A is an appropriate rating. Cutting blood out of screenshot doesn't soften the psychological effects of violence, only softens the consquences. They should have elft the gore in and made it a solid 15 or 18 (I think they got rid of 15 didn't they???---If they did, then the parents should know well enough by the trailers)
    There is a newish 16 rating as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

LolaDub wrote: »
    I saw it at the 10.10 showong on Sun night and there were a few kids at it, didn't finish till about 12.30. There was one toddler who was playing on the steps for pretty much the whole film. He wasn't making any noise or disturbing the film but his parents were in one of the front rows and he went the whole way up to the back without them coming for him, he was small enough that he was a bit wobbly on the steps. I thought that was pretty bad!

Hold on, did i get that right, there was a toddler at The Dark Knight at a showing that didn't finish til 12.30 am?! Are you serious?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Sleepy wrote: »
    Way too dark for me to consider bringing a child to it, the entire plot-line is quite a dark moral concept, the Joker's the most genuinely scary bad guy since Hannibal Lector, Two-Face looks grotesque, the explanation of the scars etc. The movie is very clearly edited to avoid the 18's cert. Adherance to the specifications doesn't necessarily make it any less likely to induce nightmares imho.

Couldn't believe when I saw a guy in the cinema I watched it in there with two kids that were definitely under 8 (I'd have guessed at 4 and 6 respectively).

Maybe as an expecting father I'm being overly sensitive but I genuinely feel at the moment that Dark Knight is a movie for Adults or 16+ at the very least.

I totally agree. I walked out of it telling my husband that our son won't be watching that til he's 16. (He's just turned one!)

Advertisement