Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 1.5 job

Options
  • 27-07-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I hope people can sort this one out for me.

A friend of mine has a delivery bussiness which requires 2 people loading and unloading. This part of the job is only about 20% of the days work. The rest of the time is just going from A to B. The problem is that it only really pays 1.5 in salaries.
    I'm aware that longterm, getting more business out of hours, etc may be the answer. But, can anyone give some solution for the meantime.
    Bye the way he is one of the 2 people.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I may sound a bit stupid here but why cant he have an automatic tail lift fitted to his van/truck and invest in the latest in hydraulic pallet trucks etc?

There's is very little things one man can't manage if he has the right equipment, I'm seeing less and less delivery vans with 2 men on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Mulan wrote: »
    I hope people can sort this one out for me.

A friend of mine has a delivery bussiness which requires 2 people loading and unloading. This part of the job is only about 20% of the days work. The rest of the time is just going from A to B. The problem is that it only really pays 1.5 in salaries.
    I'm aware that longterm, getting more business out of hours, etc may be the answer. But, can anyone give some solution for the meantime.
    Bye the way he is one of the 2 people.

Thanks

Do I have this right?

2 people are required at A and B ..... but the rest of the day is spent travelling from A to B.

If that's the case, it's hardly workable that person 1 gets paid, but person 2 doesn't, just because person 2 isn't driving.

Maybe person 2 can be doing some admin/sales calls/lead generation etc.... whilst sitting in the passenger seat to use his time more proactively to enhance your business.
    Maybe you can create business that if you go from A to B, you make sure you have some business at C,D and E on the same journey/return journey? Some businesses are crying out for same day delivery service to local area (me included) as couriers operate on next day service generally.

If you business can't afford the wages of person 1 and person 2, then it can't afford it. Maybe take on a 'young fellah' on minimum wage .... is that an option, will it reduce the wage bill to make existing business viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Thanks for the reply.

Its kitchen units. Long Counter tops etc. awkward access etc.
    Ya your right there must be good lifting equipment around, any ideas on that.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Thats exactly it. The have a contract with a kitchen delivery co. and so return to base after delivery for next trip. alot of the time they are finished at 4pm. I've suggested to seek work for the 4pm to 8pm period within a 30 to 40 mile radius. How should they go about this.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I think i know a businessman exactly like the one you're talking about here. This isnt the only underhand way he's trying to cut his wage bill. Maybe he should just treat his employees with a bit of respect and pay them a fair days pay for a fair days work.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't clarify it earlier, but the the people involved are pulling equal money out of it at the moment. and person no. 2 is really only helping him out as he is semi retired. He understands that the money would be a good wage for one but poor for 2.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I think i know a businessman exactly like the one you're talking about here. This isnt the only underhand way he's trying to cut his wage bill. Maybe he should just treat his employees with a bit of respect and pay them a fair days pay for a fair days work.

I presume your on a wind up as no one could be this clueless.

What is underhand about trying to cut a wage bill that is currently more than the company generates? I presume if it was your company you would continue to work for nothing just to keep another person employed, and then when the company inevitably goes bust as you can't afford your mortgage and have to shut it down you would rest happy in the knowledge that you employed someone until the very end?

Donald Trump eat your heart out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Hammertime wrote: »
    I presume your on a wind up as no one could be this clueless.

What is underhand about trying to cut a wage bill that is currently more than the company generates? I presume if it was your company you would continue to work for nothing just to keep another person employed, and then when the company inevitably goes bust as you can't afford your mortgage and have to shut it down you would rest happy in the knowledge that you employed someone until the very end?

Donald Trump eat your heart out.

The guy im talking about runs a fitted kitchen company. He regularly gets the guys who work for him together and talks the poor mouth.
    For the good of the company i can only pay for 1 days work between the two of you as one of you is only needed half the time (even if i send you both from Dublin to Carlow, but you;re only sitting in the van and not woking) and if you dont want it i''l give your job to an EE (thats what he calls Eastern Europeans). For the good of the company you must voluntarily go without wages next week as we're in deep trouble. He's been doing this for years. When people leave he just does the same to the next guys. He brags about it in the pub. His wife drives a brand new merc worth over 70k and doesnt work.

I could go on about the stuff he does but i wont bother.

Whats underhand about that you ask?

Donald trump eat your heart out indeed.

I'm not talking about the kitchen guy at all. I'm talking about a father and son trying to get the best out of their business situation.
    I'm looking for some business ideas to maybe help them out.

Lets not jump to any conclusions please.
    Ask a question if need be
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Could you get a small logistics company to do the deliveries for you? Would remove the need for 2 to travel, reduce the costs re your own transport.
    Viable?

• Advertisement

It would be great to have the 2 involved, so really its a case of finding more work ie from 4pm to 8pm and weekend with other couriers.

Is there a need out there for that?

Thanks for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trump

If the two of them want to run the business together they will need to do a few things.

1.Negotiate better terms with the kitchen company
    2.Work longer hours to cover their wages though if the company they work for operate a nine to five only this will not be an option.So they need to look further.
    3.Examine their business, are they making money doing this..?
    4.Is the demand for kitchens there ,economy, imminent arrival of ikea.Will investing in their business yield more profits..?
    5.Can they upgrade to a bigger truck..? this will reduce the need to go back to base after each trip.leading to faster deliveries,reduced running costs and more business for them which will cover both their wages.
    6.They can then use this truck for other deliveries during evenings and week ends by expanding into other areas then.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Trump.
    All good advice.

Is there a market out there for subcontracting couriers for that period of the day ie 4pm to 8pm and weekends etc? I'd think there should be. What ya think?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

Mulan wrote: »
    Thanks Trump.
    All good advice.

Is there a market out there for subcontracting couriers for that period of the day ie 4pm to 8pm and weekends etc? I'd think there should be. What ya think?

Thanks

I think there are alright... Day and Night Couriers and such...

Advertisement