Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a replacement for a lousy Philips router PLEASE!!

Options
  • 27-07-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to use a Philips SNB5600 wireless router for the past year.

It has caused me endless problems. It started with it timout out the assigned IP (either DHCP or static) after a set time for the PS3, meanign internet gaming on it was impossible. I solved it by simply pluggin the PS3 into the UPC modem directly when I wanted to go online with the PS3.

However, I wanted to setup the network properly for my laptops, 360 and PS3. Using either DHCP or static IPs for the MAC addresses didn't work. Having an open network is not acceptable so I reset everything and just had a wireless network with WPA2 and DHCP on it to see if I could get the computers to work first, and then would sort out the consoles.

But, low and behold, overnight the router has totally ****ed up. It gives me only Limited connection by cable (despite resetting the LAN port) after working yesterday evening no problem (and nothing has changed over night). It won't even let me log into the router.

The wireless is also, unsurprisingly, down. I had loads of trouble yesterday getting the wireless network to even show up in the available list, despite changing the channel a good few times (there are around 7 networks in the immediate vicinity).

Any suggestions as to a good replacement? I used to use a D-Link 604 T when I had DSL, and it was excellent, giving not a bit of trouble for 3 years and a constant wireless network. The Philips has really given me trouble all the time. It's a year old and I would really like a replacement.

PC World have a good few there, but I am loath to pick up another at random. I would think a D-Link again - anybody using one?

Advertisement