Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

User Accounts - Vista

• 27-07-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question about Accounts on Windows vista - On our PC I am down as the administrator but my wife has a guest account - this means she can make very few changes to settings - cannot download updates and there are numerous other areas she cannot access

I want to give her the same access as myself but cannot work out how to do it - any help ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is there not a third option, like a standard user, between admin and guest? I think it requires entering a password for UAC elevation but it's not as limited as guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Go to Start and in the very upper righ corner click your User Icon.

In the accounts settings pop-up select Manage Other Accounts. Here you can see your account and the guest account (and your wifes account)

(At the bottom of this new box, you Can create a new Account. Theres Standard and Administrator accounts. Theres a description of each. Standard Users cant make any changes that require a UAC prompt.)

If you dont want to create a new account, but instead want to elevate the level of your wife's existing account (not the Guest account), select her icon with a double click. In the dialog page that comes up you have the option to Change the Account Type - to either Standard or administrator.

The Guest account afaik has even lower priveledges than a Standard User - meaning they cannot personalize anything. The guest account is really meant for house guests, in practice: anyone using the computer on a regular basis should be given either a standard or administrative account.
    Microsoft wrote:
    When you use a standard account, you can use most programs that are installed on the computer, but you can't install or uninstall software and hardware, delete files that are required for the computer to work, or change settings on the computer that affect other users. If you're using a standard account, some programs might require you to provide an administrator password before you can perform certain tasks.

A guest account is an account for users who don't have a permanent account on your computer or domain. It allows people to use your computer without having access to your personal files. People using the guest account can't install software or hardware, change settings, or create a password.

in fact if firefox needs to install a software patch you wont even be able to run firefox under Guest - its really quite sad :)

Advertisement