Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Amp F*cked?!

Options
  • 27-07-2008 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Ok just a quick question gave a lend of gear to a mate of mine last week for a small gig he was doing.Just before the end of the last song the music died,he said the amp wasn't even under any pressure.Anywho now when I try turn it on it lights up for a few seconds and then just dies,does this mean its blown and if so would that mean the speakers are broke?:((don't have a spare amp with me to check them?).Have to get them fixed tomorrow for a gig during the week just want to have an idea of whats wrong before I bring them to the shop.My mate said he will pay for whatever damage is done.

Really would appreciate any help lads,thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

If you need a repair

http://www.fixtronix.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭kellybelly

Thanks for the links Paul will check them out when I get home.

Any ideas what the problem is would it be that we blew the amp or speakers or both?Like when the power amp blows does that mean the speakers blow also? would really appreciate anyones advice on this.

Who knows! There are a million variables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

kellybelly wrote: »
    Thanks for the links Paul will check them out when I get home.

Any ideas what the problem is would it be that we blew the amp or speakers or both?
    Let's skip to the most likely offender which is usually someone trying to push the amps too far. Most amplifiers can handle abuse, but if you're constantly red lining then failure is inevitable.
    Like when the power amp blows does that mean the speakers blow also?
    Not necessarily. I suggest you follow these steps:
    1. Check the operating condition of the speakers. Beg/steal/borrow amp if needed.
    2. Go to a repair guy (Pro Repairs in Blanch are good if ur in Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frangleberry

If the amp blew when speakers were connected and playing then yes they have definately blown too

• Advertisement

If the amp blew when speakers were connected and playing then yes they have definately blown too

Not so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I really, really REALLY wouldn't advise trying to fix it, but it's not a fuse or a trip gone if it's powering up at all. There's every chance there's something that came loose in a socket during transport to the gig, or it could be something as small as a blown capacitor. I would not open it up, but discoloration on the PCB or melted plastic is easy to spot and would give (someone in a similar situation) a good indication of the severity and cause of the problem.

Complete trollop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Advertisement