Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia

• 27-07-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I am looking to head to australia next year for 5-6 weeks. What airlines have people found to be the best to fly with and what flight route did you take? I have heard some people saying they flew london->singapore -> melbourne and others have said frankfurt->melbourne. Are the others? Also what have you found to be the cheapest deal and where did you get it.Also any places you enjkoyed visiting when you were there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fairynuff

Last summer we flew London - Hong Kong - Sydney on the way out and Cairns - Tokyo - London on the way back last year, spending 3-4 days in HK and Tokyo. We drove from Sydney to Cairns in 3/4 weeks which was a bit of a rush tbh, its pure driving from Brisbane to Cairns with v little scenery so wouldn't recommend it - chek out Virgin Blue for local flights. Fraser Island and the Whitsundays/ Great Barrier reef were the highlight of that part. Sydeny to Bribane we took in Blue Mountains/ Katoomba, Port Stephens, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Port Macquarie, Byron Bay. Booked flights through USIT (BA and Quantas), booked Wake Up hostel in Sydney before we went and picked up accommodation as we went along after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭niborm

As regards airlines, Singapore Airlines are a cut above the rest, with great service and in flight entertainment. You can get a nice stopover hotel deal in Singapore too.

I think the west coast of Australia is more charming than the east, but it depends what you prefer. If you like crowds, go east, if you like getting amazing beaches to yourself, go west. If you have six weeks, you could do both pretty easily.

The coral reefs and beaches near Exmouth and Coral Bay are beautiful. Karajini is great. If you make it to Broome, go to Cape Leveque. I haven't done the Kimberley Trek from Broome - Darwin or vice versa but have heard it is amazing. Kalbarri is a lovely spot too and Rottnest island just off Perth is a great day out. The national parks are incredible and none more so than Kakadu, near Darwin, although you'd want to make sure it's not the wet season if you go here.

Melbourne and Sydney are two fantastic cities with loads to do in and around both. Brisbane is not as interesting/fun and Cairns is pretty crap imo. There is a lovely town north of Cairns called Port Douglas which is a much better option than spending time in Cairns.

fairynuff summed up the rest of the east coast nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

I'm interested in doing this next year too how many people are you travelling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I've flown Dublin > Frankfurt > Singapore > Sydney with qantas and Dublin > Abu Dahbi > Singapore > Brisbane with Eti Had (however they spell it).

Qantas was the best flight with regards to route, service and entertainment. The other had nicer food. If you want cheap flights try buying in the off season, not in the middle of the summer or around Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol Qantas is the last airline I'd be flying given events over the past few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, I've be very nervous flying with Qantas given that holes have appeared on planes, and current affair programmes getting details of their maintnance practises - stapling wires together etc.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I flew Air Eithad at Xmas last year - direct sydney to Dublin and return (with 3hour refuel)

Not only were they $400 cheaper than anything else, I found them a great airline, pretty comfy seats (I am quite tall so seats are important)

they really kicked qantas's ass, thoroughly recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

hussey wrote: »
    I flew Air Eithad at Xmas last year - direct sydney to Dublin and return (with 3hour refuel)

Not only were they $400 cheaper than anything else, I found them a great airline, pretty comfy seats (I am quite tall so seats are important)

they really kicked qantas's ass, thoroughly recommend them

They're pretty good, the only problem I had with them was their entertainment system not working. My mother and brother had no entertainment for a 10 hour leg of the flight. Let's face it, there's not much else to do on those long flights but watch a few movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Hi,

I am planning on going to Oz for a year around christmas on the working holiday visa, does anyone know what way it works when you book the flights as in you can only book the return flight for 3 months apart so do you ring the airline or travel agent every 3 months to change the return date??? Can you go to Oz on a single ticket and buy another single ticket when you know your coming back?? Because I know when you are going into America you need to have a return ticket.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Davexirl wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning on going to Oz for a year around christmas on the working holiday visa, does anyone know what way it works when you book the flights as in you can only book the return flight for 3 months apart so do you ring the airline or travel agent every 3 months to change the return date??? Can you go to Oz on a single ticket and buy another single ticket when you know your coming back?? Because I know when you are going into America you need to have a return ticket.

Thanks

You can do the single route in OZ. The only question they might ask is for you to provide them with evidence you can purchase a return ticket out.

As for the three months thing I think your information may be a bit wrong. As far as I was aware with any airline you can book tickets up to a year away. So if you booked today you book your ticket for christmas, then your return for 30 July 2009. Depending on what type of ticket it is, you get one free date change. So when it gets to June July 09, you change the date on your tickets to around christmas time.

I recommend you give these guys a shout http://www.australia.ie/ they work out of abbey street in Dublin and are very helpful.

• Advertisement

You can do the single route in OZ. The only question they might ask is for you to provide them with evidence you can purchase a return ticket out.

As for the three months thing I think your information may be a bit wrong. As far as I was aware with any airline you can book tickets up to a year away. So if you booked today you book your ticket for christmas, then your return for 30 July 2009. Depending on what type of ticket it is, you get one free date change. So when it gets to June July 09, you change the date on your tickets to around christmas time.

I recommend you give these guys a shout http://www.australia.ie/ they work out of abbey street in Dublin and are very helpful.

Cheers for the reply, I will go into them next week, thats the place across from Arnotts on abbey street.

Thanks

Just another question.

As I said I am planning of going around Christmas I dont know weather to go before or after Christmas. What would people recommend November, December or January??? I'd say it is a nightmare to find Hostels around Christmas time in Sydney unless you book early. Would anyone recommend another place for x-mas in Oz??? Or a different starting place other than Sydney???

Thanks

I spent Christmas last year on the east coast and it bucketed rain the whole three weeks while it was 40 degrees and sunny back here in Perth. Plus hostels are handy to get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just another question.

As I said I am planning of going around Christmas I dont know weather to go before or after Christmas. What would people recommend November, December or January??? I'd say it is a nightmare to find Hostels around Christmas time in Sydney unless you book early. Would anyone recommend another place for x-mas in Oz??? Or a different starting place other than Sydney???

Thanks

If money is no issue be in Sydney for NYE, December and Jan are the busy times and November starts to fill up too.

Plenty of alternative places for Xmas, Byron Bay, Jervais Bay, Port Stephens.

What you looking for Xmas on beach? or Party town Xmas?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I spent Christmas last year on the east coast and it bucketed rain the whole three weeks while it was 40 degrees and sunny back here in Perth. Plus hostels are handy to get here.

Whats Perth like?? Good city??? Thats over on the west coast isn't it. Many backpacker over that side or is the majority on the east?

hussey wrote: »
    If money is no issue be in Sydney for NYE, December and Jan are the busy times and November starts to fill up too.

Plenty of alternative places for Xmas, Byron Bay, Jervais Bay, Port Stephens.

What you looking for Xmas on beach? or Party town Xmas?

Beach dont bother me too much more of a party town and meet loads of people!!! Because I am going to be traveling over on my own. None of my mates want to go so I said right, I'll go on my own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I spent Christmas in Sydney but to be honest it was easy for me I had already been in Sydney for a good while and had accommodation and a job. So it was well handy.

You are going for the year. So you will be spending either this Christmas or next Christmas in Australia. To be honest just because of the hassle you may have getting accommodation at that time of year I would wait until after Christmas to go Late Jan/Early Feb.

Then as you are going for the whole year what city you start in doesn't really matter. They are all hot at that time of year, obviously some more than others.

What I found was the majority of backpackers headed towards Sydney for Christmas.

If it was me I would wait until after Christmas to start traveling, pick a city to start in, and then take it from there.

I spent Christmas in Sydney but to be honest it was easy for me I had already been in Sydney for a good while and had accommodation and a job. So it was well handy.

You are going for the year. So you will be spending either this Christmas or next Christmas in Australia. To be honest just because of the hassle you may have getting accommodation at that time of year I would wait until after Christmas to go Late Jan/Early Feb.

Then as you are going for the whole year what city you start in doesn't really matter. They are all hot at that time of year, obviously some more than others.

What I found was the majority of backpackers headed towards Sydney for Christmas.

If it was me I would wait until after Christmas to start traveling, pick a city to start in, and then take it from there.

Cheers thanks for the advice, no point rushing around and panicking this side of christmas looking for Accomadation I suppose and it would give me another month or two to save up more money... I will think more of what to do and where to start off over the next few weeks, then I will book it.

I know I am definitely going just dont know when or where to start but cheers for answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

I arrived into Sydney Christmas Eve last year, didnt have to look for anywhere to stay as had friends there with couches but from what I heard its next to impossible to find accom there in the lead up to Christmas & New Years. That said, it's definately where you want to be with the NY fireworks & all, so if you don't have any friends there you might want to look into accom a month or two before.

Sydney is crammed with Irish aswell, not sure if thats what you want but if your by yourself and want to spend Christmas around Irish people then you'll find no shortage of them in Bondi, there's prob a higher percentage of Irish in the bars there than the bars at home (no joke!). That said December is Summer here so the coast will be pretty busy with people with people like yourself travelling so it's handy enough to meet people.

I'd recommend Sydney, but then again I;ve nowhere to compare it to as thats where I spent it :)

Whats Perth like?? Good city??? Thats over on the west coast isn't it. Many backpacker over that side or is the majority on the east?

Yeah it's on the west and it's a really beautiful city.

There's a heap load of Irish backpackers here. I see feckin loads of them everyday on my lunch breaks. Couple of really nice hostels in the city within 5 mins walk from all the pubs/clubs.

Weather is fantastic, the beaches are widely recognised as being amongs the best in the country, and the women are stunning! Can't ask for much nore really.

• Advertisement

Doubs wrote: »
    I arrived into Sydney Christmas Eve last year, didnt have to look for anywhere to stay as had friends there with couches but from what I heard its next to impossible to find accom there in the lead up to Christmas & New Years. That said, it's definately where you want to be with the NY fireworks & all, so if you don't have any friends there you might want to look into accom a month or two before.

Sydney is crammed with Irish aswell, not sure if thats what you want but if your by yourself and want to spend Christmas around Irish people then you'll find no shortage of them in Bondi, there's prob a higher percentage of Irish in the bars there than the bars at home (no joke!). That said December is Summer here so the coast will be pretty busy with people with people like yourself travelling so it's handy enough to meet people.

I'd recommend Sydney, but then again I;ve nowhere to compare it to as thats where I spent it :)

So it sounds like its mad enough around there at Christmas with plenty of Irish in the city for Christmas and the New Years celebrations. I dont mind meeting Irish people but I also want to meet other nationalities and do other things then just sitting in an Irish bar all the time, when I get to do that here most of the time:D. I am not saying I wont go near Irish Bars, I go to them all the time when on holidays just I would like to see other parts to Oz aswell and not get stuck in Sydney and waste all my money like I have read on the net so many people have cos when they arrive its just like one big party till they have to get a job. I am going with no plan, just want to see what happens but I do have to think about where to start off my trip.
    Yeah it's on the west and it's a really beautiful city.

There's a heap load of Irish backpackers here. I see feckin loads of them everyday on my lunch breaks. Couple of really nice hostels in the city within 5 mins walk from all the pubs/clubs.

Weather is fantastic, the beaches are widely recognised as being amongs the best in the country, and the women are stunning! Can't ask for much nore really.

Sounds like my kinda place so, a nice place to start off my trip and just see what happens next. Maybe stay there 2-3 weeks then head over the east coast. Are you living there long??? You living there because of the women?:D

Sounds like my kinda place so, a nice place to start off my trip and just see what happens next. Maybe stay there 2-3 weeks then head over the east coast. Are you living there long??? You living there because of the women?:D

I'm here 18 months so far and have no intention of going home any time soon. Was only meant to be 6 months but it's just too damn good!

I'm here with the missus so unfortunately it's all just lookin for me, though the scenery is exquisit!

Definitely come here for three weeks or so at least anyway.

I'm here 18 months so far and have no intention of going home any time soon. Was only meant to be 6 months but it's just too damn good!

I'm here with the missus so unfortunately it's all just lookin for me, though the scenery is exquisit!

Definitely come here for three weeks or so at least anyway.

Cheers mate, I'm thinking will i fly into Perth first now so thanks. I know I will keep changing me mind of where to start but Perth does interest me because of everything you said and I think it would be somewhere different to start off.

Thanks

No problem at all. If there's any other info you need as the time gets closer feel free to gimme a shout.

No problem at all. If there's any other info you need as the time gets closer feel free to gimme a shout.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement