Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaggia Espresso Dose, recommended?

• 27-07-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

All

Thinking of buying a Gaggia Espresso Dose for home use. Big coffee fan, but this would be my first espresso maker, also first time posting on this forum.

Can pick one up for €240.

Thanks
    Bren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hey Bren the standard reply to this kind of question is: it's more important you get a good grinder than a good espresso machine.
    The Gaggia Espresso dose will be fine - but if you're putting pregound stuff through it, it won't be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Thanks for the reply.

I actually have a cheap grinder, that I've had for years for cafetiere. The thing that interests me is that it is well made and will last. I'm very much a fan of pay double, or you'll buy twice. I know the sky's largely the limit with this.

BTW - it's for sale in House of Fraser for €240.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

OK - well all the domestic Gaggia machines have the same pumps, same boilers and are more or less identical apart from the Gaggia Classic and Gaggia Baby lines which have 3-way solenoid valves and heavier brass portafilters (some of the cheaper one may have these also). If you pair this with a good burr grinder you should be able to make good espresso, if you don't you won't. You could buy a €7000 espresso machine that will still produce muck unless you have a decent grinder. The good news is you can get a decent grinder in the €100-€150 range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

im not familair with the "dose" model but i would really aim
    for a model with a 3way solenoid, its really worth it imo

the 3way sucks the water off the puck and lets you knock out
    with ease leaving a clean pf

you can also backflush which is essential in my opinion

rgds

Advertisement