Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on Airport interchange (Swords to M1 towards Dublin)

Options
  • 27-07-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a question about lanes on this interchange as I find it a bit tricky sometimes.

1. Am coming from Swords and at Airport Roundabout, I take the 1st exit
    2. At the next roundabout, I take the 2nd exit onto the M1 ramp
    3. Merge onto M1

When I join from slip road (step 1) it seems (according to signs) that I need to get into lane on the right hand side. Sometimes this is ok but other times can be difficult because lots of traffic coming from airport. Is it ok to be in left lane when going down slip road to M1? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Yes it's fine, left lane for first (M1 north) or second (M1 south) exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ginkgo wrote: »
    Is it ok to be in left lane when going down slip road to M1? Thanks
    Strictly speaking the left lane of the slip road to the M1 (southbound) is for traffic intending to join the M50 further south. If you choose this option (and you don't intend joining the M50) you would have to move across to the lane on your right once the continuous white line ends (after the large gantry sign).

(Mind your speed leaving the airport on the M1 - it's a 60kph zone there and lots of motorists get caught.)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

At this particular junction, you can use either slip but if you are unsure, steer clear of motorways as uncertainty can be fatal.

You could always look at www.rotr.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

(Mind your speed leaving the airport on the M1 - it's a 60kph zone there and lots of motorists get caught.)

Now someone tells me! I've got two letters for doing 75! (thought it was an 80). Fairly poor form considering these things come across my desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

its signposted as u come off the roundabout and come around the slip road from the coachmans side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 harobed

i find this slip road onto M1 northbound (is taht what you mean) particularily difficult, especially when some drivers will not make room for you to get in lane. However, I find if you stay in the left lane and continue further it is easier to join M1

harobed wrote: »
    i find this slip road onto M1 northbound (is taht what you mean) particularily difficult
    No, the OP is referring to the slip roads from the roundabout over the M1 onto the M1 southbound.

harobed wrote:
    especially when some drivers will not make room for you to get in lane. However, I find if you stay in the left lane and continue further it is easier to join M1
    Presumably that's why the limit was reduced to 60kph and the dedicated lane for the M1 northbound was lengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

It starts at 120 km an hour then once you past the airport slip its 80 then once youre past the tunnel its 60

Redpunto wrote: »
    It starts at 120 km an hour then once you past the airport slip its 80 then once youre past the tunnel its 60
    The OP is coming from Swords/Airport and therefore would not be in a 120kph zone. He/she would be coming form a 60 to an 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

The OP is coming from Swords/Airport and therefore would not be in a 120kph zone. He/she would be coming form a 60 to an 80.

OK then, 60 to 80 to 120 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Not heading toward the city, there's no 120.

Redpunto wrote: »
    OK then, 60 to 80 to 120 :D
    blastman wrote: »
    Not heading toward the city, there's no 120.
    Yup! 80/60/50/30

Advertisement