Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red C Poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

O'Morris wrote: »
    Maybe it might be worth having an non-biased (i.e. worded by someone on the yes side) poll on this forum?
    Nice dig. It manages to completely avoid the actual point being made by implying that its validity is a function of who made it. Easier than actually addressing the point, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nice dig.

It's not a dig, I'm serious when I say that it would be worth having a poll worded by someone on the yes side. It would help balance the results of the two other biased poll.

I'm confident that the result of any poll on this site will not be any different to the results of the other polls so it doesn't bother me which side asks the question.

Do you think it might be worth having a poll on this in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Morgans wrote: »
    I never said that you were pooh-pooh the polls. I never quoted you for example, so, reading between the lines is pretty subjective. I actually think the responses to the polls is pretty close to the mark of public opinion, and even if the question was loaded, my hunch is that the results would have been pretty much the same, even if the question what stated plainly. The Yes side were very happy to throw around the poll figures post referendum regarding the amount of people who voted No that thought the Lisbon treaty could be renegotiated, without the same level of scrutiny attached.

Not quite true - the survey that came from I have also read, with the same level of scrutiny. The questions in it are much more neutral. Nor did I have the same doubts over the pre-referendum polls that showed the No side ahead. My doubts are specifically about this poll.
    Morgans wrote: »
    Fair response Scofflaw, but as you allude to at the beginning of your post, the suspicion remains that No is the popular choice. Not sure about fashionable.

Well, we know it's the popular choice - there was some kind of vote thing last month, I think - it's more that Open Europe are, I would say, pushing something of a line. As to 'fashionable', it's surprising how many people prefer to have voted for the 'winning' side.

Still, yes, I would be very surprised (and deeply suspicious) if a poll came out and said that the popular choice was now Yes.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Do you think it might be worth having a poll on this in this forum?
    Polls aren't allowed as a rule on the Politics forum and its descendants. The last one was an exception because DeVore wanted it, and also because there was a sitewide announcement drawing attention to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Polls aren't allowed as a rule on the Politics forum and its descendants.

I didn't ask you whether it was allowed. I asked you whether you thought it might be worth having the poll. The last poll was a success and was an accurate reflection of public opinion. I think a second poll would also be very helpful as we might find out if people really have changed their minds on Lisbon.

I'll send a PM to DeVore asking him to make an exception and allow the poll. I just wanted to let you know in advance so that you won't be surprised if he does go over your head on this. Can I let him know that I have your support for the second poll? Or do you think we should respect the result of the first one and forget about the second poll?

If it's not allowed on this forum then that's an opportunity for someone to start the poll over on that After Hours forum.

• Advertisement

I asked you whether you thought it might be worth having the poll.
    No, I don't think so. What would it achieve?
    The last poll was a success and was an accurate reflection of public opinion. I think a second poll would also be very helpful as we might find out if people really have changed their minds on Lisbon.
    We'll find out what a small cross-section of the boards.ie population - itself a small cross-section of the population, and including those not in the electorate - thinks.
    I'll send a PM to DeVore asking him to make an exception and allow the poll. I just wanted to let you know in advance so that you won't be surprised if he does go over your head on this. Can I let him know that I have your support for the second poll? Or do you think we should respect the result of the first one and forget about the second poll?
    "Respect the result"? What are you talking about?

No, you don't have my support for another poll.
    If it's not allowed on this forum then that's an opportunity for someone to start the poll over on that After Hours forum.
    I don't care what happens on After Hours, but if someone starts a thread there with the specific aim of getting it moved here to bypass the ban on polls, it will get locked when it gets here.

Any chance of dragging this thread back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A poll isn't required as there won't be another referendum vote, remember? ;)

Or a simple YES/NO thread could be started (and then closed by oscarBravo)

Mike.

Advertisement