Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog food plan.urgent help needed

Options
  • 27-07-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

hay currently i feed my dog 1 tin of food with mixer. today he had a poo that was almost completely water wat do i do should i be giving him a different type of food or just mixer or what thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rice with boiled chicken is good for calming upset stomachs. A visit to the vets if it doesn't get better in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

copy that thanks man anything else failing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

stay away from tins and mixers. raw meat and/or dry food

wat type of meat and dry food thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I use James Wellbeloved and its excellent. Its hypo-allergenic and my dog thrives on it. Her number 2s are excellent, good solid pieces. She only produces bad toilets when I use supermarket bought dog food. Her coat is beautiful and shes very healthy...I would highly recommend this food. Get a small bag and try it. Let me know how it works out for you.

• Advertisement

MissyN wrote: »
    I use James Wellbeloved and its excellent. Its hypo-allergenic and my dog thrives on it. Her number 2s are excellent, good solid pieces. She only produces bad toilets when I use supermarket bought dog food. Her coat is beautiful and shes very healthy...I would highly recommend this food. Get a small bag and try it. Let me know how it works out for you.

where can this be got haha.how much is it

Not many petshops have this actually. In Dublin, Petstop in Blanchardstown have it. A big bag of 15kg costs around €55 but would last you around 3-4 months. A smaller 2kg bag costs around €15 I think. Its really good stuff though. Are you living in Dublin ?? Theres a pet store in Swords that sells it too.

MissyN wrote: »
    Not many petshops have this actually. In Dublin, Petstop in Blanchardstown have it. A big bag of 15kg costs around €55 but would last you around 3-4 months. A smaller 2kg bag costs around €15 I think. Its really good stuff though. Are you living in Dublin ?? Theres a pet store in Swords that sells it too.

na im in longford unfortunatly but when im down that way i think ill grab that big bag hahaha

Ring around your local pet shops and see if they have it. I'd say more shops might have it up your way than mine actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

You can get a good range of high quality dry foods on-line from zooplus.ie. Wide range of brands, with links to the individual websites so you can check them out. Free delivery too. Have bought both Nutro & Orijen from them - not cheap but excellent quality. Or you could try Burns - available through
    vet practices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There a lots of good dog foods but don't feed the dog anything for today just keep plenty of water available and keep an eye on poos. Then tomorow or tomorow evening boil chicken and boil rice white or brown rice is fine.
    Feed him that for around 3 days, if the poos improve keep him on the chicken and rice for another day or so.

Burns, red mills (plain not for working dogs), Arden Grange or Royal Canin are all grand just introduce new foods gradually and don't switch foods.

I don't think Red Mills is that great. I used to help out in a dogs home and all the dogs were fed Red Mills and they produced awful number 2s. Very liquidy and unhealthy looking. I'm sure there are exceptions to this of course but I wouldn't give it to my dog in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

amaughan wrote: »
    wat type of meat and dry food thanks alot
    any type. ifeed mine on raw chicken,lamb,rabbit abd beef. also give him veg mixed in. i use the nuts mostly as a back up for when i've no meat in. go to the butchers and ask for off cuts and dog meat. also cheap bits will do eg chicken neck etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

amaughan wrote: »
    where can this be got haha.how much is it

Small bag costs €11.30 in Wackers on the long mile road.

I use it and couldn't recommend it more, good solid poos, can easily pick them up straight away when need to (out on walks)

My puppy had awful trouble with soft poos and bad gas and this was recommended to me and it's fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

What size is your dog?
    I'd starve him for 24 hours, make sure he has plenty to drink in that time. Given the hot weather, it'd be no harm leaving a second bowl of water down with some sugar in it. If you can get electrolyte/dioralyte, all the better.
    Then try him on scrambled eggs & rice or boiled chicken & rice. If there is no improvement in a day or so, pop him down to the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

If you can get electrolyte/dioralyte, all the better.

Is it ok to give a dog this medicine, which is manufactured for people?

Electrolyte is the animal version of dioralyte. It's perfectly safe.

Ah right, I just saw dioralyte, and though that electrolyte was just another make.
    I would still remain on the side of caution with regards to using something like this. These products are for bad dehydration, so if the dog isn't drinking much and showing bad dehydration symptoms I would take them to the vet before trying to remedy it myself. But that is just me, I would feel more comfortable having a vet see my dog if it was badly dehydrated. Plus the fact that if it is that bad, it might need to be seen anyway for possible gastroenteritis or similar.

I just meant it as extra hydration along with a bowl of normal water given that the weather is so, so hot & the dog won't be getting any food.
    I've done it with one of mine before, on advice from the vet, but he's a big lump of a dobiex. That's why I asked the op the size of the dog.
    If a dog isn't drinking, then it's straight to the vets.

Yep, agree with you completely. If the dog isn't drinking the only place to go is the vet!

• Advertisement

hahaha chill hes drinking and eatin he just has bad poos hahaha.iv been tryin the boiled chicken and rice untill i can get the james beloved stuff and it seems to be workin

Advertisement