Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car mags

Options
  • 27-07-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

So what are your favourites? I've only ever read Top Gear, What car and Car and I wouldn't mind something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Those would be my faves too...

AudiChris recently posted a link to iMotor, the online car mag. It looks great and will probably develop very well over the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I gave up on Top Gear - too much nasty padding at the back, too dependant on Clarkson's column (which is pretty predicable) and just a bit staid. They need to re-boost the formula and facelift it.

WhatCar is a bit 'Which?' for my tastes. Very clinical appraisal as well.

CAR has it's up and downs but since Jason Barlow left it's come on in leaps and bounds. I have the current issue - it's really good. You can't beat the experienced, vetern writers either Gavin Green, Georg Karcher etc. They've seen and done it all.

Autocar can be good. It's very close to CAR in spirit - an enthusiast and industry focus, an interest in everything from a Kia C'eed to the latest Lambo.

EVO seems to have some great writers. It's a bit too focused on the British track-day scene for my interests though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like Top Gear magazine but you're right about too much crap at the back. Pretty much half of it is pages and pages of ads at the back and the useless car list that rarely ever has any updates and is all UK-centric anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've been reading CAR Magazine since I was 13, I still enjoy it alot and would consider it a better read than the rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Car Mechanics and Total BMW (only more recently)
    Both very interesting and informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I started buying Auto Ireland, Drive and Irish Car when I was about 10. Not as juicy as some of the others, but a damn sight less patronising and unrealistic than the likes of TG. What Car is also a decent read (ads excepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I have only been buying EVO for the last three years. The writing is great and the cars reviewed fit in with the magazines tagline, the thrill of driving. Some of the articles are about fantastic driving trips and at the moment one of the journalists is chronicling his first season rallying. It's the only magazine I'd bother with now, although I picked up a copy of Car at the motor show last week and it's pretty good but I don't find the writing as good as in EVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Total BMW & BMW Car Magazine.
    (Have to start learning off some of the stuff from these to keep up with E92!!!)

I used to religiously buy VolksWorld, would still have an occasional "free read" in Easons though while picking up one or other of the to above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

CAR seems the best to me. TG, as said before me, is too dependant on Clarkson, who actually gets a lot of stuff wrong, depending on how well the journalist's are looked after at the launch of a partucilar car. CAR can be a bit biased towards cars maunfactured in the UK too. Pity there is no Irish mag that would have the same spending power and writers as CAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Autocar - been reading it for centuries - have them dated back to the 70's ! Not mine only, Da and brother are major petrol heads too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Autocar, find them head and shoulders above the rest.

Advertisement