Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paying if not happy?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

If you go to one of these psychics and are not happy will they waive payment? Has anyone refused to pay and what was the outcome.?Can anyone give me a number of any 'good' psychic so I can ring and ask. It is for a friend who would be a bit shy about refusing to pay, I do not want to see her ripped off.

I do not believe in any of them and since people here seem to go to several then pure chance would surely allow them be right sometimes

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A reader should not charge if a reading was lousy. But i dont know what different readers do in practice. Why dont you ask what the policy will be when you book or as you begin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

Hi
    April Raine, you should not tar everyone with the same brush. Yes there are those out there who are not ethical about their readings nor are they competant. I am a medium, I dont do fortune telling I do communication from spirit. I recently had a situation where I was doing 6 readings 4 women and 2 guys. The first 3 reading were girls and the information flowed. The next reading was a guy. Everything I told him he said no to. Spirit stopped communicating with me and I told him that I was going to finish the reading, the energy had got stale and heavy. The same happened with the next guy that came in to me.

These 2 guys were sceptics, they came in with the intention that it was a load of rubbish. I knew the message that I was getting from spirit were correct as I trust the messages that I am given. I said it to them before we started the reading that I senced that they were not open to the reading and that this would affect the communication. I did not charge these guys because I WAS NOT HAPPY not because they were not happy, I should have charged them, but I have my standards.

When I had finished one of my friends told me that every piece of information I had given them was 100% accurate and thay they had verified all of the information and it was them not wanting to confirm the information they were being given.

The energy or mindset of the person being read can effect the communication, the more open you are to receiving the better flow you get of information, so its not always down to the reader.

In the UK they have just had new legislation introduced the Consumer Act. Up until now mediumship was governed under the Fraudlent MEdiums Act of 1951, I think this was the correct year. Under the new legislation, you might see it on some of the TV programs, they must state that the reading is for entertainment purposes only. There is like a contract which it is recommended you get people to sign and it will state that if you are not happy with the reading in the first say 5 minutes then you must say so and there will be no charge after that then there is a charge.

We do not have any legislation over here that covers readings and mediumship, we still operate under the Witchcraft Act which goes back to the 1800's I believe, so technically we could be charged under the witchcraft act for reading and connecting with Spirit, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

it was the 1700,s,,,
    i think if a person is not happy they shouldnt pay,,
    i have an aunt who got a group reading in her house,,,out of 8 people 1 didnt pay,,but the reader made her pay for them,,,witch i thought was a bit sad,,she kept on saying she was right,,and when she told the rest of them what came thru for that 1 person,,,everyone agreed she was wrong so she did a song and dance about it,,,so a few months past and my aunt tried to get her again,,,but she told her she doesnt do it anymore,,,but yet did a friend of hers 3 days later,,,
    :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

A lot of factors come into a reading. Poster I have that happen to me also where they deny everything and by some grace you find out later they said no as they didn't want to give you anything. these people are not spectics in the true sense of the word as I must say I have read for real spectics and they at least have a very open mind and the readings tend to go quiet well. I feel some people have such little knowledge on how a reading works that they tend to leave themselves out of it and expect you to automaticly know everything. They seem to forget that they play an important role also, there only task really is to keep an open mind and answer sometimes a yes or No or I dont know to information given to them. such is life though. I wonder sometimes how these people would feel if they were the spirit trying to carry across information to a person sitting there denying they ever existed, hell I'd leave and not bother commucation with them as well.

With payment, it is a judgement call, if your not happy with a reading you should speak up quiet early so as to make the medium/psychic aware and either call it quits on the reading or try take it down another avenue, one you may wanted to have heard about....Every time someone sits or gives a reading it is experimental and no garantee can be given, but a down right negitive attuide going in will most likely hamper or even destroy a reading, so therefore if this is the mood going, well then dont go and waste your time the readers time.

Well said Kshiel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

It makes sense not to pay if a reading was crap. It's like going to the hairdresser where they f--k up your hair, and you obviously don't want to cough up for the botched job- however long they spent on your hair. I see readings as being similar in their nature. Unless you're a really ballsy person, it might be best to have a friend with you to bolster your courage quotient. Sock it to them then! :D

I know that some readers get really 'precious' and haughty if someone has the audacity to tell them that the reading was sh1te and that they're not happy to pay for it.. The reader really shows their true colours then, e.g. they're a greedy, fraudulent c*nt. Only in it for the money and bugger all else. Trust me, there are types like that in a county near you! :p

But what constitutes a crap reading? If it's of the mediumship-type reading, do you mean it's crap in that your dead rels don't come through? Or, if you mean the general 'fortune telling' (Ugh! I hate that term) reading, do you consider it crap if accurate information related to your past or present isn't communicated?

Regarding the latter, I would say that you don't know immediately whether the reading was crap or not, if only future-orientated info was 'revealed'. That could be more of a 'wait and see' scenario. Of course, any dope can tell someone all this sh1te about their future and get away with it.

Well, I wouldn't pay any money to someone who gave me a mediumship-tpre reading, where it was sh1te. I would be in two minds regarding the other sort of reading, though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

I'm a clairvoyant medium, and i've never had a client refuse to pay... lets not tempt fate! I cant think what I would do if it did happen though.. my style of reading is mostly spirit communication, relaying information from the guides, angels and relatives and so so, for the purpose of helping the person with their life... very broadly. And some reading of the persons system to help them understand themselves, or their partners etc. Even if the angels failed to turn up ( crossed fingers, not yet) I could still read the person my self. Every time i do a reading, I hope today isnt the day when it just dosnt work. That hasn't happened yet, but if and when it does, I would not do the reading. I think the english law of 'say so in the first 5 minutes if you are not happy' is reasonable. It takes an hour of my time, and a lot of effort for me to read, not to mention childcare, and i think it would be unreasonable to sit through a whole reading and then refuse payment! like eating the pie and then demanding a refund! And I certainly would not take a booking for that person again.
    However, this is all bearing in mind that i am doing my best for each person. If I were to go to another reader who had zero talent and was obviously taking the piss, I would leave too. And I suppose that is the way to do it. leave in the first 5 minutes. dont sit for an hour and then refuse to pay. you cant have your cake and eat it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

I'm a clairvoyant medium, and i've never had a client refuse to pay... lets not tempt fate!
    subtle threat?
    and i think it would be unreasonable to sit through a whole reading and then refuse payment! like eating the pie and then demanding a refund!
    seems to me it is the psychic who wants to eat pie and have it too

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

subtle threat?

seems to me it is the psychic who wants to eat pie and have it too
    Ive no idea what you mean by that post.

Ive struggled with the paying thing over the last while, and come to the realisation that I dont give a damn if I get paid for a reading or not. I just want to do the work. Im relatively new to it anyway, and Ive realised that for me the ultimate reward is giving someone something good to take away. I have a day job that pays my bills. Its different for those who are making a career out of it.

I think dreamingoak made a valid point. Theres no point sitting through a reading nodding your head while inside youre saying 'this is balls'. Youre wasting yours and the readers time. And no, if thats the case you should not pay, but you need to tell the reader you dont feel its working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

Ive found that when people dont get the reading they expect they dont value the reader... ive had friends comment on various mediums... if they told them say - they would fall in love and life happy ever after... they would gladly pay. If there was anything negative they would doubt the readers abilities and didnt think it value for money... (alot of the time, its not the money ... they just feel cheated because they were not told what they wanted to hear)

Any good medium would tell you that they cannot read you and decline to do the reading ...

A friend of mine went to one last week, 60euro for 10 mins and didnt tell her much... like oryx... most do it for the love and are passionate about what they do, a very small majority unfortunately use it as a money making business ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i have only ever been once,,and she couldnt read me she said,,this was after about 10 mins,,,but i was still charged:mad:,,i'd love to go to another one again tho,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Seriously, April, where is the threat in that?

Seriously, April, where is the threat in that?
    it infers it would be tempting fate to refuse to pay. Or maybe i am reading it wrong in which case it is the psychic who does not want to tempt fate.

Lets put this into context. I am talking about this applying to thoese mediums out there who are actually mediums not those who are pretening to be.

The purpose of going to a medium is to get messages from the spirit world, maybe no one comes in or the people you wanted to come in didnt. The medium has spent time telling you the information they are given but you cannot verify any of the information. The medium cannot guarantee to anyone (no matter who the medium is) that anyone will come in gfor you, if the medium guarantees you this then they are not mediums.

Now lets look at the senario where you go to your doctor. The purpose of going to the doctor is to find out what is causing you an illness etc. After the consultation the doctor says I dont know what is wrong with you and may refer you for some tests. Do you turn around to the doctor and say well I am not paying you as you didnt tell me what was wrong with me? I dont think so

And I only speak for genuine mediums when I say this, they have reserved a time in their diary to see you, they have given you their time so they should be paid for it, it no different to the senario of the doctor. If you are not happy you should say after the first 5 minutes not after an hour.

Now lets look at the senario where you go to your doctor.
    Doctor has been to medical school. What school has the medium been to?
    And I only speak for genuine mediums when I say this,.
    no such thing imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

it infers it would be tempting fate to refuse to pay. Or maybe i am reading it wrong in which case it is the psychic who does not want to tempt fate.

April ,I meant, 'lets not tempt fate' as in 'I hope it never happens' that I have a client so unhappy that they refuse to pay.

That lady who had a reader tell her that she could'nt read her after ten minutes, She should have refused to pay! The law in england at the moment says that a client can refuse to pay if they say so in the first 5 mins. And I think that's reasonable, for the most part, but obviously we must employ common sense, as in any other exchange in life.

Well if a doctor has attended school for 7 years and cant tell you what is wrong, or as has happened in Ireland quite a lot misdiagnosed illnesses what does that tell you?

Everyone has their right to their opinion and I respect yours that you do not believe there are mediums, I believe there are.

I agree with the previous post, if you not happy say so in the first few minutes as is the law in the UK.

poster wrote: »
    Well if a doctor has attended school for 7 years and cant tell you what is wrong, or as has happened in Ireland quite a lot misdiagnosed illnesses what does that tell you?
    a doctor may not be perfect but he work in scientific way. He can take a blood sample and say if one is anaemic for example. Every day, not just when his 'spirits', the lab techs feel like communicating
    Everyone has their right to their opinion and I respect yours that you do not believe there are mediums
    And i respectfully say belief in such things is unscientific horse manure and there is no real evidence to support such a belief. There is evidence to support the belief that a doctor can measure anaemia and it is repeatable unlike so called psychic phenomena. The only thing more absurd than belief in medium is comparing them with a doctor for an analogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I was quite angry when I read some of these posts but decided that its not really worth getting angry about. You could go into the years of research and study on a very very wide range of subjects that mediums and psychics take seriously but of course research would tell you that...

April Raine if your so against Mediums and psychics and payment and clearly stated you think there all sh1t then why are you having this debate, you clearly wont be bothered going to one so no money will change hands. I am sure you trust your friend/s who do go that they have the intelligence to make that decision for them sleves considering I hope they would be of an apporate age as in adult to particpate in such things.

Advertisement