Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie to HE needs YOUR help

• 27-07-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Okay, not quite a newbie but an audio convert. Recently bought a Sams 40 s6 and now looking for a clutter free alternative to 5.1\7.1 that has good audio as well as that cinematic thrill. Budget is 1.8k

Any advise

PolFeck

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

........looking for a clutter free alternative to 5.1\7.1 that has good audio as well as that cinematic thrill.

What exactly do you mean by clutter free ?

Ritz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PolFeck

Clutter free......

Lets put all in perspective. My room is 17' x 20' and I am (Wife) not too interested in too many cables.

I am not too sure on 2.1 or virtual surrond, will it fill my space? (not between the ears)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If you don't want/can't accomodate wiring for rear surround speakers, you could check out a Yamaha Soundbar - link: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/soundprojectors.html?CNTYP=PRODUCT&CTID=5001100

There are similar offerings from Samsung and Philips, I think, you should do some googling on their websites to find them. I have heard the Yamaha (can't remember which model) in action and thought it reasonably convincing but lacked the balance and drive that you get from a regular 5.1 setup. It wouldn't be my cup of tea.

As another option, Philips and others may do surround kits (ie integrated dvdplayer and amplifier + speakers) which have wireless surround speakers. I don't have any experience of these, but you might get a test drive somewhere like Harvey Normans, Powercity or DID - you could check their websites first.

If surround sound is really out of the question, then you could consider straightforward stereo as an alternative - it really makes a significant difference compared to using the speakers in a TV.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PolFeck

Thanks Ritz

If I was able to persuade the powers that be! that 5.1 is not as clutered what would be the best available. \i was looking at the sony is100(?). Fairly small....

For stereo. I have a Harmon Kardon 3380 with VMax and Jamo 660 floorstanders. 140 w of clean audio

I haven't heard the HT is10 so i can't really comment, but some boardsies have had good things to say about systems like the SONY HT-DDW790, a very reasonable entry point at €180 ish ex delivery from Pixmania, for instance.

To an extent it really depends on your budget - much further up the scale Gallos (Click Here) are an excellent choice, are extremely unobtrusive and produce a soundstage that completely belies their appearance. the range has an equally diminutive sub and combined with a decent reciever you'd get a really impressive result.

Ritz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Okay,

Lets get on track with this

you have 1800 euro......you could get a whopper of a set-up

Just chase the wires and problem sorted

If you need a hand PM me

Advertisement