Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all. I stayed in Dublin for 4 months recently in Rathmines. I am returning in a couple of weeks and will be looking to find my own place in Dublin. I really like Rathmines, but I know it is hard to find a decent and reasonable priced apartment there. I am looking to share a 2 bedroom flat, and neither of us can afford more than €600/month each. I'm wondering what other parts of Dublin are similar to Rathmines. I'm still looking there, but am looking to expand my search. I would like to be no more than 20-25 minute walk from city centre. I will be working at the IFSC.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

The red luas line starts in talllaght and ends up at the IFSC but some dodgy areas along line nearer town. Your budget may mean you end up out of town, but central tallaght is a lot better then people used to think. Plenty of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

To be honest you are better off paying 700 each and getting a nice place in town, thats within walking distance of town. The money you spend on rent you will save in buses/luas/taxi's and time. I live in Ringsend and I am 15 min walk to work. Just moving into a really nice 2 bed for €1350, there are cheaper out there if your looking for something not as nice. Also rent is going down and every place I have viewed were prepared to drop there rent (between 50 and 150 per month).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

irishguy wrote: »
    To be honest you are better off paying 700 each and getting a nice place in town, thats within walking distance of town. The money you spend on rent you will save in buses/luas/taxi's and time. I live in Ringsend and I am 15 min walk to work. Just moving into a really nice 2 bed for €1350, there are cheaper out there if your looking for something not as nice. Also rent is going down and every place I have viewed were prepared to drop there rent (between 50 and 150 per month).

Thanks. For this year, I really need to stay at €600 or below, but I am willing to go to €700 if the place is right, but the person I might be moving in with isn't. I'd prefer something decent, but it doesn't have to be great. I'm just starting my first year as a trainee accountant, so once I make it through, the pay raise will be nice and allow me to be more picky next year. Also, I'm not too worried about travel as I may get a bike, and if not, I get my transport ticket through my work, so it is at a really discounted price.

I've noticed people dropping rent prices. I've been checking out daft.ie, but I'm not ready to move until September, so I have time. My thing is, besides Rathmines, Ballsbridges, Sandymount, and Clontarf, I don't really know what the areas are like. I'd like to live in a decent area and close to stores. I really like Rathmines, but I know it's difficult to find something, though I will keep looking. I guess I'm just looking for some insight on the safer areas of Dublin with a fair amount of shops close by, like 5 minutes. I don't mind a small place for a year, as long as it is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks. For this year, I really need to stay at €600 or below, but I am willing to go to €700 if the place is right, but the person I might be moving in with isn't. I'd prefer something decent, but it doesn't have to be great. I'm just starting my first year as a trainee accountant, so once I make it through, the pay raise will be nice and allow me to be more picky next year. Also, I'm not too worried about travel as I may get a bike, and if not, I get my transport ticket through my work, so it is at a really discounted price.

I've noticed people dropping rent prices. I've been checking out daft.ie, but I'm not ready to move until September, so I have time. My thing is, besides Rathmines, Ballsbridges, Sandymount, and Clontarf, I don't really know what the areas are like. I'd like to live in a decent area and close to stores. I really like Rathmines, but I know it's difficult to find something, though I will keep looking. I guess I'm just looking for some insight on the safer areas of Dublin with a far amount of shops close by, like 5 minutes. I don't mind a small place for a year, as long as it is nice.

You can forget about getting a place in September its way too hard your better off moving up earlier and getting a place. Most places in D4/D2/D6 and grand and very central. You could rent a short term place then go looking for a place in October (thats what i did) you will get a way nicer place for less money.

irishguy wrote: »
    You can forget about getting a place in September its way too hard your better off moving up earlier and getting a place. Most places in D4/D2/D6 and grand and very central. You could rent a short term place then go looking for a place in October (thats what i did) you will get a way nicer place for less money.

Thanks. My time is flexible as I have a place to stay. However, I can't really move earlier since I have lots to get situated and won't be back for another 2 weeks. Also, the person I might be moving in with won't be back for another month. I just have to play it by ear and see what is available. I'm just trying to narrow things down when searching daft.

Thanks again.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Drumcondra is like the rathmines of the northside.

Not a bad spot and the rent is generally cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Thanks. My time is flexible as I have a place to stay. However, I can't really move earlier since I have lots to get situated and won't be back for another 2 weeks. Also, the person I might be moving in with won't be back for another month. I just have to play it by ear and see what is available. I'm just trying to narrow things down when searching daft.

Thanks again.
    Cheers!

The problem about something in that price range in September is the students. A lot of them would probably pay something similar to that except have more of them in. I.e. 3 in a two bed for 1200 a month or what have you.

The earlier the better you can put a deposit down tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Very good call on Drumcondra - ditto Phibsborough, which runs parallel to Drumcondra. Gorgeous areas - I lived in Phibsborough.

I also lived in Ringsend like irishguy - extremely close to the city centre and it was once a dodgy area but it's on the up now. Bits of it are kinda shabby but plenty of it is lovely. And I never felt unsafe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If your looking at Drumcondra I know of a refurbished house of studio flats for rental shortly,all new, just off the main street at spar, beside Mcgraths? pub on the corner. Pm me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I recently seen a 2 bed apt in Crosbies yeard for 1350. Just off the North Strand.

I would look at the likes of Phibsboro as well, very similar to Rathmines imo.

There's plenty around anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. It seems I have some areas to focus on. I want the convenience of having the city centre close, but not living in it. I research places in these areas on daft, and they all seem manageable.

As always, more comments are welcome. I will be looking at Rathmines, Harold's Cross, Rathgar, Fairview, Phibsborough and Drumcondra. Sounds grand.

Cheers!

Advertisement