Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Refund

Options
  • 27-07-2008 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Im just wondering if anyone could offer advice. I put a deposit on a wedding dress back in March & got a phone call about 2 weeks ago to say that the dress had arrived & I needed to collect it with payment in full. It is an outlet so they said that they could not hold it(Im getting married in Sept 09!!!). I have decided that I dont actually like the dress & Its making me unhappy thinking that my wedding dress is not the one I really want. Also Im quite peeved as my understanding was that they would hold the dress until all alterations were done, I got the dress three sizes smaller so I could aim to lose the weight so this means that If I take the dress I will have to keep returning with it for alterations. Anyway the bottom line is I hate it!!!!Im expecteing to be told that deposits will not be refunded. So what if I said that me & my fiance split up???I know its a lie but I really dont like the dress & really dont want it!!And even if they gave me half the deposit Id be happy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maddison wrote: »
    Hi there,

Im just wondering if anyone could offer advice. I put a deposit on a wedding dress back in March & got a phone call about 2 weeks ago to say that the dress had arrived & I needed to collect it with payment in full. It is an outlet so they said that they could not hold it(Im getting married in Sept 09!!!). I have decided that I dont actually like the dress & Its making me unhappy thinking that my wedding dress is not the one I really want. Also Im quite peeved as my understanding was that they would hold the dress until all alterations were done, I got the dress three sizes smaller so I could aim to lose the weight so this means that If I take the dress I will have to keep returning with it for alterations. Anyway the bottom line is I hate it!!!!Im expecteing to be told that deposits will not be refunded. So what if I said that me & my fiance split up???I know its a lie but I really dont like the dress & really dont want it!!And even if they gave me half the deposit Id be happy.

Thanks.

"Consumer" issue...?

Sorry, but I'm with the dress place here. You wanted it, they got it, what are they supposed to do with it now?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Hi there,

Thanks.

Hi I am not an expert but I think the fact that the shop had ordered it in for you I don't think you will get your deposit back just because you don't like the dress anymore. Count yourself lucky that you didn't make the purchase outright..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm afraid this is why businesses ask for deposits in the first place.

If a company makes bespoke items for customers they take deposits so if the customer has a change of heart or whatever, they are not left to foot the bill of it alone.

I am not sure of the legalities of the situation, maybe someone could fill us in on that, but when I was making curtains made to measure I made customers sign a docket stating they understood a refund was non refundable, and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I am not sure of the legalities of the situation, maybe someone could fill us in on that, but when I was making curtains made to measure I made customers sign a docket stating they understood a refund was non refundable, and that was that.

Both parties agreed to a contract, the shop fulfilled there part by ordering the dress and the OP has paid consideration to the shop( so we've gone past the invitation to treat stage). I'm pretty sure the shop could look for the customer to fulfil there part of the contract by means of full payment.

(Would the Op be looking for compensation if the shop hadn't ordered the dress in time???)

Its just going to make it harder for people to order dresses with out full payment being demanded from shops.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Under uk law, and perhaps its similar here, a deposit was an agreement to purchase. You could be sued for the balance if you didnt pay up. Op, you are not entitled to anything back, no matter what your story is. If they did refund, it would be as goodwill rather than because they have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Oryx wrote: »
    Under uk law, and perhaps its similar here, a deposit was an agreement to purchase. You could be sued for the balance if you didnt pay up. Op, you are not entitled to anything back, no matter what your story is. If they did refund, it would be as goodwill rather than because they have to.

I agree, you have entered into a purchase with the shop, and they have ordered in the stuff for you. If you renage on the purchase, they will most likely not be able to sell the dress to someone else. The fact that you now don't like it is too bad really. Its not the shops fault, and they should not be out of pocket.

Now you could spin them a sob story of the engagment breaking up, and they may return your deposit as a gesture of good will, but imo that will jinx your wedding. And anyway, do you really want to be that kind of person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

What kind of person would that be, no need to be so harsh I was merely asking a question. The dress is not made to measure but a UK size -. I know of a person who ordered a Vera Wang from BT and she called off her wedding 6 weeks beforehand & got a full refund and THAT dress was made to measure.
    Right o thanks for your responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

What kind of person would that be, no need to be so harsh I was merely asking a question.

Not trying to be harsh, or make assumptions, just an opinion
    The dress is not made to measure but a UK size -. I know of a person who ordered a Vera Wang from BT and she called off her wedding 6 weeks beforehand & got a full refund and THAT dress was made to measure.
    Right o thanks for your responses.

Ok, but she actually called the wedding off. I can imagine that BT were not obliged to give a refund for the dress. All I'm saying is that I think it would be bad form to make up a story to give the shop so that you can get your deposit back

That is all.

Ok thank you. Am going to go back to the shop, try on the dress & hopefully Its just bad pictures that are putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I doubt you would get the deposit back, as there are costs involved for the shop to actually get it in specifically, so if they gave you the full deposit back they would be out of pocket. Also, if you now hate the dress as you say, what possessed you to buy it, and also 3 sizes too small - sorry, but that is crazy... Most places encourage you to go up a size, so that alterations can be made later.

• Advertisement

No I dont think 3 sizes too small is crazy, wedding is not until Sept 09 so 3 sizes equal approx 30lbs I managed to loose 18.5 so far so not much more to go really. Anyway I went back today tried dress on & Its fab so I handed over the money & Im now perfectly happy so mods feel free to delete thread.
    Am now a happy consumer.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No I dont think 3 sizes too small is crazy, wedding is not until Sept 09 so 3 sizes equal approx 30lbs I managed to loose 18.5 so far so not much more to go really. Anyway I went back today tried dress on & Its fab so I handed over the money & Im now perfectly happy so mods feel free to delete thread.
    Am now a happy consumer.:D
    Thats a good result for everyone then.:)

And I like your determination on the size thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

a non refundable refund eh? How does that work. You refund the customer and refuse to take the money back from the customer again?
    SDooM wrote: »
    when I was making curtains made to measure I made customers sign a docket stating they understood a refund was non refundable, and that was that.

Advertisement