Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social clubs in Portlaoise?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm newish to the area and want to get out and about to meet locals by getting into some sort of a social club for the winter. Not a footballer/hurler and a bit late in the day to be starting rugby so any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

Just curious what sort of age bracket we are talking about, if you are looking for something maybe sporty and judging by your name the athletics club may be useful, although they will more than likely be talking a break until the end of August, their is also a triathlon club it think its called trilogy. In terms of other social clubs there are not too many non sporting social clubs as far as I am aware of and it will probably all depend on age to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

I don't know about any social clubs, but I've been considering trying to get a few people together to go walking, either an hour or so walk in the evenings after work or trips to somewhere interesting on the weekends, or both. If I thought enough people were interested I wouldn't mind organising something like that?

Any ideas people?

I would like to think it would be suited to most ages and both male and female....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

that is a great idea!!! trips and get togethers after work are a great way of meeting new people and developing a network! great plan ms k sir a.

Cool name too by the way! :)

Ah thanks!!!

It occured to me afterwards that it might create some gender confusion!!! But then many of the nicknames aren't gender specific. You were fairly quick off the mark with the reply Ms Ruby!!

Anyway... I am away out now for the evening... if there are enough who express a genuine interest then who knows.... we might be onto something.

Ms.... K Sir A

After thought...

I live in Portlaoise too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭runningman

I reckon I'd be on for something like that, a handy way for people new to the area to make a few contacts anyway. I'm 25 by the way.

Thanks for the replies folks - though nobody'd reply!!!

ah we are a chatty ol bunch here! sounds good to me. will be fun if theres a good few interested in a social group for portlaoise. im sure one or two of us from portarlington will tag along too. i will anyways! :)

Appointing myself as senior blow in I don't know if we want anymore blow ins coming in - getting very local in my short time here! :D

lmao!!!

where are you originally from? Are you from the big schmoke??? :)

The smoake?! - there's no need for insults now!!

• Advertisement

insults lol no by the big schmoke i meant Dublin. im from Dublin. :D

I know you meant Dublin and was deeply insulted!! :D

From the wild west originally but been moving round for the last few years. Settling here in Portlaoise for no other reason than it was a cheap house!

http://www.slievebloom.ie/walking_programme.html

I came across this browsing earlier... Drove through the slieve bloom yesterday evening... I'd say some impressive walks. and if one was to join one of the walks ud be bound to meet people there.....

Ms K Sir A wrote: »

Doesn't look too bad at all. All we need now is the weather!

tbh theyre long ol trekks! i was thinking more along the lines of an hour after work or something! lol.

Ruby-J wrote: »
    tbh theyre long ol trekks! i was thinking more along the lines of an hour after work or something! lol.

Lazy!!! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

runningman wrote: »
    Lazy!!! :D

LOL,

I'd be interested in a few of those hikes over the next few months.

Next one i'll be free for is the 17th august. It's only a short one, but it will be a good tester.

WTF, Ya gotta pay to walk in the mountain. I know the fee is small but that is outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

runningman wrote: »

a bit late in the day to be starting rugby so any suggestions?

If you are only 25 its not too late to take up rugby ... pre season will start in the next few weeks (Tues & Thurs) if you want to head out to see what its like.

kikel wrote: »

WTF, Ya gotta pay to walk in the mountain. I know the fee is small but that is outrageous.

They charge because they have a guide take you out, and while I believe the guide does it for free the very fact that it is organised, makes someone responsible, which in turn leaves them open to a claim in the event of an incident, therefore there are unfortunately insurance considerations and training, first aid etc. Like you said.. the fee at 5 euro is small... and if you were to go regularly 20 for the year is even less... Certainly a lot less than going to the gym. I know I joined Badminton and this was the situation. The organisers gave freely of their time, the fee was toward the rent on the hall which was minimal, and primarly towards insurance costs.

If you want to go for a walk in the slieve bloom with your family or friends, you wouldn't need to pay a fee, but you would probably have to buy a map and couldn't wander of the signed routes in the interest of safety. I wouldn't recommend anyone go alone!!!!

Actually.... Running man.... Badminton might not be a bad idea??? I only went the once because other things came up one week after the other at that time, but I really enjoyed it. They do it in the hall down behind the footie pitch, and if I rem correctly they run it on Monday and Wednesday nights around 8pmish... pretty sure it was a fiver back then... and they were very relaxed and friendly.... the guys seemed much more competitive... mixed ages. I'd say if you were to go a few times you would get a better idea of who goes as I'm fairly sure there are diff folk every night. Come to think of it, I think it stops for the summer so you may have to wait til Sept or thereabouts. I found info on it last time around on a laois activity website and just phoned someone who eventually put me in touch with the right people. If I come across it again I'll let you know.

Woo hoo.... I have their phone number still in my phone.... (Badminton that is). Anyone who wants it, give me a shout.

I'm almost afraid to admit to this as admission might be misconstrued as commitment, BUT the plan so far this weekend for me is to go on the Sunday walk. I reckon it'll be tough, Grade B, Grade A being toughest, but I'm getting more and more determined, assuming I don't end up out til the wee hours on sat night, hang on make that tonight.... (this being the wee hours aft Fri night out)........... Amazing how these things seem such a great idea aft a few Bulmers.......... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hey Ms K Sir A,
    As much as it seemed as i was complaining about the fee i actually think it's great value. I'll definitely be going on a few over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

:D
    Ms K Sir A wrote: »
    Woo hoo.... I have their phone number still in my phone.... (Badminton that is). Anyone who wants it, give me a shout.

Hello! I too am a newbie to the area.... Originally from the County of the Cats! My other half used to be addicted to badminton when he was young....er and since he moved to Port he has heard that there was some people that did badminton in the town but could never find any more information and has since given up.
    I was into hurling obviously but i havent got a hope of changing him so if I could get the contact details for the badminton I would take that up with him... u know the whole spending time together bla bla bla! :D

No worries at all Kikel.

And to the migrant cats, PM sent. :-)

Reminder, I'm in Portlaoise... and this is where the Badminton is. I can't speak for Portarlington.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Could I please ask for the contact details for the Badminton?

I'm in Portlaoise

nouggatti wrote: »
    Could I please ask for the contact details for the Badminton?

I'm in Portlaoise

PM Sent.

I did the slieve bloom walk today, it was a good trek but not that difficult I found. Next Sundays' is an 8 mile one, am planning to go back. Good mix of ages, seemed to be quiet a few in their 20's ish, with the majority I suppose 40ish plus. Friendly group too... went for a quick pint afterwards tho very few went to that... Rain pretty much held off. Good day had by all.

glad to hear you had a fun day! sounds like it is a great idea. are your legs hurting today???

No amazingly!!! Legs r fine. I wouldn't have been surprised if I had suffered today. But thankfully not.

:-)

thats brilliant!!! shows your in good shape and fit! fair play! i wish i was the same!!! im toying with the idea of aerobics weekly now...just something to keep me exercising. its the discipline i struggle with!!! :cool:

Ye see? That's why I think the walking or anything that is with a group is easier.... you're motivated whether you like it or not by the others walking with you!! I would def have turned back before half way through had I not gone out with the others. Well... that's me anyway!!! :-)

• Advertisement

If you are only 25 its not too late to take up rugby ... pre season will start in the next few weeks (Tues & Thurs) if you want to head out to see what its like.

Used to play a bit (only for a few months) but had a bit of a non rugby related accident and had to stop. Wouldn't mind taking it up again. Can you PM me the details?

Ms K sir a - Fair play doing the walks -were they on tracks or cross country?

Advertisement