Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank security

Comments

That's about the only way, Yorky. But I wouldn't bother, because around our way when the tanks are locked they simply cut around the cover leaving a big hole in the tank which must then be replaced as well as the oil. Stealing oil is big business around here. Lock the gate instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You've done about all you can do really unless you want to go building some kind of "shed" around the tank.

If they can't open it at the top, they'll open / cut the pipe or simply drill a hole in the bottom of the tank.

Best advice is what the last poster said, prevent access or more particularly, ease of "escape" with your oil.

You could put a security light over the tank or even a security camera, if you feel you're really at high risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A few people up my way are getting steel cages built around their tanks. Oil theft is getting out of hand and the little lock in the photo won't stop a determined thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

smashey wrote: »
    A few people up my way are getting steel cages built around their tanks. Oil theft is getting out of hand and the little lock in the photo won't stop a determined thief.

I agree. Locking the top of the tank is a bit pointless tbh. They'll just screw off the filter at the bottom of the tank, and sploosh. A good feck off cage or fence around it may be a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 25 klipdrift

Just had circa 600L of oil stolen from my tank. I hope the B.....D that stole it dies of carbon monoxide poisioning.
    Anyway, the kids wanted a dog for xmas, i was dead against it...but guess what, there gettong one, A ROTWILLER

images%3Fq%3Drottweiler&zoom=1&q=rottweiler&hl=en&usg=__vlYycJpynoa8z-nEcsXZhIihGEw=&sa=X&ei=tP70TIGMEInMhAfPu_iSBg&ved=0CCUQ9QEwAA

HE WILL BE FED ONCE A WEEK ONLY.

So come on back for some heating oil gents. smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement