Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

I'm new to the boards but have been looking at the cycling threads for a while now. I hadn't cycled since I was a kid but a few weeks ago I decided to buy a bike for occasional use, like the odd trip to the shops.

I went to a shop that sells new and second hand bikes, and was shown a new hybrid for €250 and a second hand one for €110. Although the second hand one looked a little old, the guy in the shop told me it wouldn't need more servicing than a new one. I decided to go for the second hand one as I wasn't sure how much cycling I would do.

However when my boyfriend saw it, he decided to buy himself a bike and for the last few weeks we've been going cycling together. I've ended up cycling lots more than I originally thought I would. Now this weekend I got a puncture, and when repairing it , noticed that both my outer tyres are very worn with cracks around the edges. I think they might need replacing.

Also, my pedals suddenly stuck when I was out cycling and now won't turn properly, making the bike impossible to ride. Someone who knows a good bit about bikes took a look at it and is fairly sure it's not the gears or lack of oil, but thinks there's a problem with the bearings.

Is it worth getting these repairs done to a bike that only cost €110? Should I cut my losses now and just buy a new one? My boyfriend's bike is new and his is a good bit lighter and faster than mine. How much should I be spending on a bike I'm using for roughly 2 short cycles (1-2 hrs) and 1 longer cycle (3-5 hrs) per week?

Comments

Advertisement