Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my line capable of 3mb

Options
  • 27-07-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for some advice, my exchange was due to be upgraded this weekend but no joy yet - i am 4.5km from exchange, will my line qualify for 3mb based on these stats?

Line Attenuation
    48/27 dB
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.00 27.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

im getting around 1.75mb download on a 2mb connection at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

corkcomp wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for some advice, my exchange was due to be upgraded this weekend but no joy yet - i am 4.5km from exchange, will my line qualify for 3mb based on these stats?

Line Attenuation
    48/27 dB
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.00 27.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

im getting around 1.75mb download on a 2mb connection at the moment
    I have those exact same line stats since I updated the firmware on my router and am on 2mb but I'm waiting to see whether I get the upgrade on august 9th. On another thread someone had borderline stats just like us and initially Eircom didn't give him the upgrade as they thought his attenuation was way worse(60db!) than it was showing on his router so he just rang them up and told them to set it to 3mb regardless and he gets the full 3mb now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

rc28 wrote: »
    I have those exact same line stats since I updated the firmware on my router and am on 2mb but I'm waiting to see whether I get the upgrade on august 9th. On another thread someone had borderline stats just like us and initially Eircom didn't give him the upgrade as they thought his attenuation was way worse(60db!) than it was showing on his router so he just rang them up and told them to set it to 3mb regardless and he gets the full 3mb now.

interesting! if my speeds dont go up by tomorrow and the exchange upgrade has gone ahead as planned i could be in the same position ... more calls to eircom :eek:

thanks mate, that looks promising, those stats are slightly worse than mine so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Your SN margin certainly is a bit iffy. You might be able to handle the 3 but you definitely wouldn't have much headroom and could possibly have disconnection issues. If it were me I would definitely just wait and see what Eircom do, if they upgrade you to 3 see how it works and act accordingly then. But if they leave you at 2 I would stay at 2 for the reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As a matter of interest have you any real need for the 3 increase? Its not that big over what you have and any increase could possible result in an unstable line as it will put pressure on your SNR.

dub45 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest have you any real need for the 3 increase? Its not that big over what you have and any increase could possible result in an unstable line as it will put pressure on your SNR.

all sorted - on 3 mb now, download speeds of 2.68MB's - will post full stats when i get home later on .. I had to ring eircom and they said it was an extended distance line so they put me on hold while they checked line stats - they apologised for the error!? and set me up with 3mb ...

corkcomp wrote: »
    all sorted - on 3 mb now, download speeds of 2.68MB's - will post full stats when i get home later on .. I had to ring eircom and they said it was an extended distance line so they put me on hold while they checked line stats - they apologised for the error!? and set me up with 3mb ...

Good news, are you allowed get them to manually set it to 3mb even if they think your line isn't capable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He should get most of the upgrade all the same !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thats good news, hopefully your SN hasn't gone down by much.

• Advertisement

Good news, are you allowed get them to manually set it to 3mb even if they think your line isn't capable?

not too sure TBH, the tech said it was an automated process but that sometimes peoples lines get overlooked accidentally - i didnt even have to ask for them to manually set it to 3 mb, he said right away he would do it if his like check looked ok ... not sure if these checks are real time or not but he gave the impression they are as i was on hold for 10+ minutes

Right .

This tells us the upgrades are NOT fully automatic ( for a good reason) but ON REQUEST if you have a marginal line !

Bit of a cod that innit !!!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Right .

This tells us the upgrades are NOT fully automatic ( for a good reason) but ON REQUEST if you have a marginal line !

Do you know if those line checks test your attenuation to the NTU or all the way to the router? I know my line once had attenuation of 46 and a change of routers makes that figure jump from 48 to 51 now. Does that mean that people with crappy routers have less chance of being upgraded?

Does that mean that people with crappy routers have less chance of being upgraded?

Seemingly so , for a good reason like I said. There are those out there who should not try to go beyond 2mbits .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Right .

Not with you there? Surely its better to try and get the best for each customer?

If the upgrades were fully automatic people with poor lines would potentially find themselves worse off than before the upgrades.

How many times do I gotta say "For A Good Reason" :(

Right .

well the tech did say as soon as we started the call that if my line didnt pass the test that he was about to run that i would have to stay at 2MB - period. so i guess they do have some criteria and if your line stats are bad enough they will just refuse to upgrade you

Seemingly so , for a good reason like I said. There are those out there who should not try to go beyond 2mbits .

Do you know if they take into account both SNR and attnautaion or just attenuation. I want to know because I have two routers. One currently shows attenuation of 51 (but turns to 48 with firmware change) and snr of 24(which goes to 12 with said fw change). My other router(2247) shows attenuation of 50 and snr of 12(but often as low as 7) all the time so my question is, which router(and firmware) should I leave plugged in over the weekend of that upgrade if I want to go from 2mb to 3mb?

Get back to your byzantine wiring first RC28 , HUP there with ya !!!!

Get back to your byzantine wiring first RC28 , HUP there with ya !!!!

:mad::D
    My efforts at making some miracle happen to my line stats have failed (see other thread!) so I have to resort to my router now. Can anyone answer my above question?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi

I just bought the speed touch 585 v 6 modem so I'll let you know if this increased my snr mine was 8 to around 13 then changed to a brand new 2247 modem I got off eircom and it is a stable 19 snr.

I want to see if the speed touch increases I let you know

He could always tackle "The White Box" instead you know Psyg !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I opened up the main socket eircom box but I have a brand new house and there was only 2 cables connected. I unravalled the rest and moved them away from the connection. This could also have made a difference.

When I dont use a filter though my stats drop allot snr moves to 13. its 19 with the filter stranfe but my other stat the attenation is 51 but I am around 3.5 kms to the exchange and I'd say the cabling is old out in Rush

SpongeBob said that when running line tests they test all the way to the router so maybe if I just unplug everything on the weekend of the upgrades (i'm on holiday then anyway) they will give me the upgrade? My line used to have attenuation of 46 but is now 50-52. I really hope I get the 3mb but others with better stats than me were initially refused the upgrade while I also came across a BT customer with attenuation of 57 who is getting the full speeds.

Advertisement