Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing the entire fleet of Garda cars!

Options
  • 27-07-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Given the current car the Police are driving around in, do you think the police are getting the best car they can get ?

Now im not talking of replacing all the fleet with lambos or Astin Martins, but what would you replac the Garda Cars with if you were in charge? something within reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be going diesel, reducing the CO2 output of one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fleets of cars on Irish roads, thus showing the public that CO2 based VRT intends to reduce CO2 output rather than bag more revenue.

Maybe some Mondeo TDCI's? sounds crazy, but it might work

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    thus showing the public that CO2 based VRT intends to reduce CO2 output rather than bag more revenue
    ....but vehicles owned by the state are exempt from VRT anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Forget the CO2 business - it's more about MPG and Performance for a modern Garda Car.

The Mondeo is a very good patrol car..all it requires is adapting to Police Specifications and the introduction of 2 litre TDCI's as standard.

....but vehicles owned by the state are exempt from VRT anyway!

I know this, even if they paid VRT, it'd be going back to the state!

what I'm saying is the state should lead be example and change to lower CO2 cars and "save the world" , even if the Garda cars are exempt from VRT or road tax, they still contribute to our CO2 output,

if they continue with 2.0 petrol Mondeos they're saying that it's ok for the Garda cars to produce high CO2 levels with petrol cars, (even though a diesel can offer similar/better performance to petrol) but if anyone else wants to opt for petrol over diesel they'll have to pay for the privelage in higher VRT and motor tax.

There is some excuse for Gardai not using diesels to do with the national fuel reserve, despite the army using diesel jeeps, and the Garda vans running on diesel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No one car fits all. The Gardaí need a variety from Aigos up to Evo X's and a few in between. X5's and a few others I don't get tho.

Of course they also need to be trained not to leave the keys in the ignition when they get out of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mondeo diesel is a good patrol car for general use. I would buy a number of impreza turbos for specific traffic duties and emergency response, maybe 1 car in 10 and perhaps some smaller cheaper cars for non emergency response activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

what I'm saying is the state should lead be example and change to lower CO2 cars and "save the world" ...

Good point.....maybe they could use electric powered vehicles for city centre use?

No good for high speed chases of course but they could be used for general urban patrols or community policing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Maybe they should buy some of these....:pac:

imiev_police_1280.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'm going to spoil this debate by telling you that all future state cars will be diesel powered for the foreseeable future.

Any 07 Mondeo I've seen had an unmistakable diesel rattle coming from it.

There's no real need for petrol power for state vehicles really.

They might as well use the fuel savings that diesel provides to pay for the increased costs of running our "health service" because of all the ill affects on our health that we must all suffer to help save the planet(yeah, like one country with 4 million of the world's 6 billion people will make such a difference, won't it Mr Gormley?)

Any Garda cars I see, (and I see quite a few) are petrol LX models.

I wonder how much saving there actually is once you take the tax out of the 2 fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

How about the sinclair C5?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

E92 wrote: »
    They might as well use the fuel savings that diesel provides to pay for the increased costs of running our "health service" because of all the ill affects on our health that we must all suffer to help save the planet

I presume you mean the health effects from diesel emmissions?

If so then I agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

mcwhirter wrote: »
    How about the sinclair C5?

images.jpg

Yup, that's what I meant, sorry.

Below is a link to the inaugural Green car awards by What Car?

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=233126

Notice that hybrids only feature in the luxury saloon segment and also have a look at the petrol vs diesel emissions.

It is very clear that the while the EU allows diesels to produce 5 times more NOx than petrols, in reality petrol engines are so much cleaner that petrols can be up to 20 times better for our health.

Have a look at this page.

Notice how the FIAT 500 1.2 pollutes 6.43 times less NOx than the Opel Corsa 1.3 CDTi, which also has a FIAT engine, and the Corsa also pollutes 0.02 g/km of cancer causing particulates too.

Oh and for the benefit of those who think direct injection petrol is "bad" on health grounds then can they explain to me why the Audi A8 2.8 manages to pollute just 0.017 g/km of NOx, 11.6 times less than a Merc S320 CDI, AND half the NOx of a Fiat 500 1.2 Pop which has old fashioned indirect injection?

Here we go OT again: No diesel should be considered "green". Black, as in death, is a better descriptive colour. Direct injection petrols should also be also described as black.

Back OT, if the civil sevants had any wit there'd be a combination of Aigos, Civic Hybrids, Imprezas as well as run of the mill Astras and Mondeos, as in the UK.

Notice that hybrids only feature in the luxury saloon segment and also have a look at the petrol vs diesel emissions.
    I'm surprised the Lexus hybrid didn't do better.

In saying that, it's an animal of a car to go though - there's not much around that would keep up with it..:D

At least the awards are honest - taking into account the actual NOx and PP emmissions rather that just the government enforced CO2 levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The fleet of cars doesn't matter too much, what does matter is the technology used within each car, eg number plate recognition setup, onboard computer, all cars linked to car database etc. The current level of technology in the cars is the worst in Europe, perhaps the modern world, not the fault of the Gardai but the idiots running the country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The current level of technology in the cars is the worst in Europe, perhaps the modern world, not the fault of the Gardai but the idiots running the country.
    ...and who put them there?
    :D

kbannon wrote: »
    You tell me/us? That would be the permanent government, aka the civil and public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

kbannon wrote: »

Idiots :D

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Direct injection petrols should also be also described as black.
    Why, when as I've shown already a direct injection Audi A8 pollutes half as much NOx than a Fiat 500 1.2 which has old fashioned indirect injection.

The MINI Cooper S, which also has direct injection is a massive 6.8 times better for NOx than the indirect injection FIAT. It's also 2.2 times better for NOx than the indirect injection Hyundai i30 1.4, and 2.4 times better than the Suzuki SX4, which surprise surprise doesn't have direct injection either:rolleyes:.

Why, when as I've shown already a direct injection
    Heavy particulates, which cause cancer. As I and peasant have pointed out, petrols have never produced heavy particlates before DI.

NOx cause respiratory problems like asthma. Not great either, but not creeping death.

not doubting your figures E92, but the i30 and the SX4 are two unusual cars to single out, is there any particular reason for quoting these not-too-common cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

not doubting your figures E92, but the i30 and the SX4 are two unusual cars to single out, is there any particular reason for quoting these not-too-common cars?
    No other reason than they were the cars What Car? felt should be shortlisted for green awards;).

@JHMEG: it's already been shown to you that DI petrols are at worst no worse for NOx than IDI, and in the case of the MINI Cooper S, significantly better than some IDI cars out there.

What Car? gave the grand figure of 0 for PM for all the DI petrols too, and a couple of diesels surprisingly.

I'm therefore finished discussing this with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

A little off topic but i saw a yaris garda car in Limerick the other day and it was literally falling to pieces, there used be a punto garda car in Tipperary town up til 2 years ago and at the moment theres an opel combo garda van doing the rounds. Embarrasing if you ask me.

I'm therefore finished discussing this with you.
    We weren't discussing it. It's fact. Google. Peasant also mentions it here.

Euro 6 emissions have PM limits for DI petrol engines. There are no numbers for indirect as they don't produce any.

Here
    , for example: Under transient conditions DI engines produce about as much soot as a modern diesel engine, and hence to reach PM regulatory limits, a particulate filter may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Someone earlier was saying how the gardai should have some performance cars for motorway patrol and the like.I know for a fact that the gardai have 5 skoda octavia vRS's.Theyre 06 or 07 to the best of my knowledge.I havnt seen them yet and i suspect its because theyre unmarked.iknow it because someone i know sells skoda an he heard it form the distributors.Has anyone seen them??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Saab 9-3 Estate BioPower 200ps Auto for Traffic Corps
      • Top speed 219km/h,
      • 0-60 mph 8.7 seconds**
      • 197g/km*
      • Any fool can get the top speed and acceleration from an auto.

• Lexus GS450h for Traffic Corps
      • Top Speed 250km/h
      • 0-100km/h 5.9 seconds
      • 185g/km
      • As above for auto

• Mondeo 2.0 FFV Estate for general patrol use
      • Top speed 203 km/h
      • 0-60 mph 10 seconds**
      • 189g/km*

• S40 1.8F for general usage
      • Top speed 200 km/h
      • 0-100km/h 10.9 seconds
      • 177g/km*

• Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4-D 90 for city use
      • Top speed 175 km/h
      • 0-100 km/h 10.7 seconds
      • 119g/km
    The above to be marked cars complimented by a range of unmarked vehicles.

* - Biofuel car, rated for unleaded usage
    ** - speed available in mph from manufacturer

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    • Lexus GS450h for Traffic Corps
      • Top Speed 250km/h
      • 0-100km/h 5.9 seconds
      • 185g/km
      • As above for auto

Where do I sign up for traffic corps?.........:D

<3 that car - wish I had the price of it.:pac:

Advertisement