Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday July 29, Spin ( Flat )

Options
  • 27-07-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

From Pheonix Park Papal cross meeting at around 6:30 heading towards Maynooth and Kilcock, probably 60/70km spin.

Who is in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

From Pheonix Park Papal cross meeting at around 6:30 heading towards Maynooth and Kilcock, probably 60/70km spin.

Who is in?

Me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Of course! (Tiny- are your parents ready to receive us?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

great, i plan to be there too.

something i noticed from last weeks spin... we were all over the place. people up the road, riders off the back. not everybody has to do work on the front, but at least keep the train togehter as to not p*ss off motorists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ba wrote: »
    something i noticed from last weeks spin... we were all over the place. people up the road, riders off the back. not everybody has to do work on the front, but at least keep the train togehter as to not p*ss off motorists.

Believe it or not, that ride was pretty organised for a Boards spin. Usually it's a lot more chaotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I might be in if I can my bike on the train into town tomorrow morning. Will probably cycle home towards Newbridge from Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i should be in too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'll see how my foot is but have a feeling I won't be pumping pedals for a few more days at least :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Sounds good, I hope to join ye.

Bad injury Peadar? I see mention of 'blood loss' on the Saturday spin thread? Hope you're OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

unionman wrote: »
    Sounds good, I hope to join ye.

Bad injury Peadar? I see mention of 'blood loss' on the Saturday spin thread? Hope you're OK.

Cheers unionman. Sliced my foot open on a rock while swimming in Killiney yesterday...did my own medical job to tie the wound together, just hoping I don't need stitches!

Cheers unionman. Sliced my foot open on a rock while swimming in Killiney yesterday...did my own medical job to tie the wound together, just hoping I don't need stitches!

Ayayayayayi!

Nasty. Speedy recovery man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

hoping to join too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i think i may be out unfortunately. i have to meet people in the park at 7:30 so i think i'll just do laps for 2 hrs before that

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

caroline im in!! i can drive over to phoenix park after work.
    promise i wont cancel this time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Can I ask what's the average speed of these spins? I'm only getting back into it and I'd probably be unable to keep up. I can average 23kph on my own over about 35k, so I'll need to go further and faster before joining yizzers, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

sooty11 wrote: »
    caroline im in!! i can drive over to phoenix park after work.
    promise i wont cancel this time! :)

About time!!!! hehehe ;)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Can I ask what's the average speed of these spins? I'm only getting back into it and I'd probably be unable to keep up. I can average 23kph on my own over about 35k, so I'll need to go further and faster before joining yizzers, I suppose.

We always go faster as a group, you should be able to follow with no problem ... we're not team CSC just yet ... although we're working on it.
    I reckon on flat we average 30k/hr ... I could be wrong... Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd say the ave is closer to 25kph

I was surprised how much easier that is to sustain in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Won't be able to join you for this. I'm back rugby training on Tuesdays, so it'll have to just be weekend spins for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

I would be interested in tagging along on this, as I was planning a spin out that neck of the woods 2moro evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The average is closer to 25km/h all right- on our recent four-county tour I clocked 25.4km/h. Caroline is right in that we would be going faster on the completely flat bits, if you glanced at your speedo on those bits I would imagine 30-35.

If you can average 23km/h on your own you would be more than fine, it is a lot easier in a group as everyone has said, you can fly along behind someone expending very little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Thanks for the replies. I'd easily keep up with 25-30 while drafting. Just a bit worried about the distance now. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to run a race tomorrow night, but I'll keep an eye out for further spins in the coming weeks.

Thanks all.

I'm out - don't have my road bike in with me.

I could cramp the groups style by turning up on my Smooth Hound though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

also out

Hope you have the leg warmers

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

If I get away from work on time, I will tag along till Maynooth

I hope people still show up ... despite the moody weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

latest_radar.gif

still in.

niceonetom wrote: »
    latest_radar.gif

still in.

Still in but keeping an eye on them there clouds n'sh1t...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jwwie

hi all, ive only be on one of these spins and it was quite a while ago but i'd like to join this evening (weather permitting im afraid, i dont enjoy the rain too much). i think i know where the papal cross is, but not entirely certain. would someone be able to provide a google map location? crossing my fingers for good weather!

Advertisement