Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday July 29, Spin ( Flat )

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

jwwie wrote: »
    hi all, ive only be on one of these spins and it was quite a while ago but i'd like to join this evening (weather permitting im afraid, i dont enjoy the rain too much). i think i know where the papal cross is, but not entirely certain. would someone be able to provide a google map location? crossing my fingers for good weather!

Papal Cross on gmap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

What's a little bit of rain ... !!?? Cowards! Fake Cyclists!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

hi all, ive only be on one of these spins and it was quite a while ago but i'd like to join this evening (weather permitting im afraid, i dont enjoy the rain too much). i think i know where the papal cross is, but not entirely certain. would someone be able to provide a google map location? crossing my fingers for good weather!

Good man -will be great to see ya out again! :) If you want, I can meet you outside the Spar on the corner of Kevin St and Patrick St -it's on both of our ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jwwie

cheers tiny, thanks. what time do you think? ill be sure to let you know if i wont make it.

cheers tiny, thanks. what time do you think? ill be sure to let you know if i wont make it.

Make it 6pm -I'll PM you my mobile no, and just let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Fitted my mudguards this morning. Prepared for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

In weather like this morning if you're looking for motivation to get on your bike you just need to grab a handful of gravel off the side of the road - shove it in your mouth and remember Andre Tchmil. What a legend:

439306063_bd1ecf94eb.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i never realized that there was a bog-cycling event similar to bog-snorkelling...

In weather like this morning if you're looking for motivation to get on your bike you just need to grab a handful of gravel off the side of the road - shove it in your mouth and remember Andre Tchmil. What a legend:

Mud is good for you... leave your skin nice and smooth ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm going to come along and see how I get on.

If I have trouble with the distance or speed I can always turn around.

I only realised the tour of kildare is just over a week away so I would like to get a long cycle in 1st.

I saw someone mentioned leg-warmers earlier, is it not too warm for them?

One more thing, did anyone receive a pack out in the post for the tour of kildare, I applied over a week ago but nothing arrived.

• Advertisement

Aquinas73 wrote: »

You will be fine. Be there 6.30!

Personally, for me it is... I'll have arm warmers in my pocket for if it rains or gets nippy, but that's it

I only realised the tour of kildare is just over a week away so I would like to get a long cycle in 1st.

One more thing, did anyone receive a pack out in the post for the tour of kildare, I applied over a week ago but nothing arrived.

On distance and speed I'd say don't worry, you'll find your pace quickly. I am not fast and inexperienced on distance and had a great one on saturday. I'm in a simialr position with Kildare, want to get some practice in.

Too warm for leg warmers, your 'core' heats up fast, cool air on the legs is like personalised air conditioning. Arm warmers will be handy for cold / rain - I'm bringing shoe covers too.

No Kildare pack for me neither, and I paid about a week ago. Don't worry, there's still plenty of time.

Hope to see you later. I hope to see me there too!

It is looking uncannily sunny (there, I said it, I am bringing mudguards to keep it that way.)

Windy though. Is El Tonto heading out?

blorg wrote: »
    It is looking uncannily sunny (there, I said it, I am bringing mudguards to keep it that way.)

Windy though. Is El Tonto heading out?

No, but I am :)

58,6km for me. Nice & easy :)
    A bit muddy ... I noticed I was the only one muddy ...

Note to self, do not hold the wheel of the person in front of you when it's raining ...

Glad we weren't put off by the early shower. Grand spin, a nice pace. The bike is well muddy.

69.75 at the end (Tiny, I'd have gone round the block to clock 70 but there's work to be done:D)

Avg speed 25.7kmh

I got pretty muddy too, and I saw it on others, I can assure you weren't the only one! Just over 80km for me.

Well done to Aquinas73 for sticking with the group all the way around on his first Boards spin.

Thanks for that Blorg. I hope I didn't slow the group down too much.

I was lucky I made it back to the Phoenix Park when I did, they were closing the gates just as I got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Sorry for jumping in folks, was just scanning the Cycling section... would love to get back into cycling, but don't have a bike ...yet (old one was stolen a few years ago).

Anyway, are these spins, and are all you guys, on race bikes and flying along, or can anyone take part? Would like to get a bike again and join in with a like-minded group, but I'm guessing I'd be out of my depth with you lot?!

In other words, if you go in for sprint finishes and "king of the (Dublin) mountains" jerseys, I'll politely exit stage left :)

• Advertisement

davenewt wrote: »
    In other words, if you go in for sprint finishes and "king of the (Dublin) mountains" jerseys, I'll politely exit stage left :)

That's just Blog and Raam :)

Feel free to join whenever we post a Spin and the time and place suits you.

That's just Blog and Raam :)

Feel free to join whenever we post a Spin and the time and place suits you.

Haha, thanks caroline. Have to get the bike first! Or I could be the pace car :) Maybe I should start a new thread on looking for a new bike. Unless you have any links handy, up your sleeve? I'm 6'5" by the way, and used to own a Giant :) Feel free to go to PM if you have any advice or links for me.

Thanks again!
    Dave.

Haha, thanks caroline. Have to get the bike first! Or I could be the pace car :) Maybe I should start a new thread on looking for a new bike. Unless you have any links handy, up your sleeve? I'm 6'5" by the way, and used to own a Giant :) Feel free to go to PM if you have any advice or links for me.

I guess we could do with a team car with a couple of spare bikes and a few wheels, hand out the musettes and the water. :D

Dave,

Yesterday was my 1st cycle with the group.

It's really worth doing, it all depends what level of fitness your at. I only got my bike a couple of months ago. My very 1st cycle on my own was 10km and I was shattered after it but I was in no way fit at all. Yesterday I did about 60km with and the average speed was a little bit over 26km per hour.

That might be of some help to you.

I guess we could do with a team car with a couple of spare bikes and a few wheels, hand out the musettes and the water. :D

I could have done with a team car at one stage yesterday! (for a lift):D

Well done Aquinas, good spin last night, it's so much better in a group isn't it? That kind of spin would be unthinkable if I was on my own.

Roll on Kildare!

Dave,

Yesterday was my 1st cycle with the group.

It's really worth doing, it all depends what level of fitness your at. I only got my bike a couple of months ago. My very 1st cycle on my own was 10km and I was shattered after it but I was in no way fit at all. Yesterday I did about 60km with and the average speed was a little bit over 26km per hour.

That might be of some help to you.

Thanks! I'd love to get back into it but don't fancy commuting by bike on city roads and wouldn't be motivated enough to go out for long rides on my own so a group of like-minded souls would certainly help!

I'm having a look around online at hybrid bikes (while my heart is asking for a road bike my head is telling me that's a bit OTT!)

Anyway, apologies again for thread-hijacking and thanks for the (quick!) encouraging responses. Maybe see you all soon! :)

D.

Thanks! I'd love to get back into it but don't fancy commuting by bike on city roads and wouldn't be motivated enough to go out for long rides on my own so a group of like-minded souls would certainly help!

I'm having a look around online at hybrid bikes (while my heart is asking for a road bike my head is telling me that's a bit OTT!)

Anyway, apologies again for thread-hijacking and thanks for the (quick!) encouraging responses. Maybe see you all soon! :)

D.
    A hybrid is a good choice if you are completely new to cycling; on the other hand though a road bike is substantially faster and much better for longer distances (a lot more hand positions and better wind resistance.)

blorg wrote: »
    A hybrid is a good choice if you are completely new to cycling; on the other hand though a road bike is substantially faster and much better for longer distances (a lot more hand positions and better wind resistance.)

Well, I wouldn't be "new" to cycling - I just haven't cycled for a few years.

Are you guys all on road bikes, or do some of you use hybrids?

Like I said I wouldn't be using a new bike for commuting, so I might be open to the argument that a road bike might be better, especially for joining your spins! But then if a road bike is simply going to annoy me on anything other than a long ride with you lot, perhaps not!

D.

• Advertisement

Well, I wouldn't be "new" to cycling - I just haven't cycled for a few years.

Are you guys all on road bikes, or do some of you use hybrids?

Like I said I wouldn't be using a new bike for commuting, so I might be open to the argument that a road bike might be better, especially for joining your spins! But then if a road bike is simply going to annoy me on anything other than a long ride with you lot, perhaps not!

D.
    We are overwhelmingly mostly on road bikes although there are one or two on "fast" hybrids/"flat bar road bike" who manage to keep up! Honestly only one or two though.

It's a difficult one, I'd say get a road bike but I used a hybrid myself for many years before taking the plunge. If you do get a road bike proper sizing is very important; my first road bike I sold and went back to a hybrid due to back problems- reckon it was the wrong size. If it is just for spins I would still lean towards a road bike.

A compromise might be a cross bike, something like a Specialized TriCross- you then get dual brake levers and so can use the flats more like a hybrid and don't _have_ to lean forward so much. Replace the stock tyres with slicks for road use if you get one of these.

Advertisement