Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive thread in shooting forum

Options
  • 27-07-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Being a regular poster in this forum, I would like to draw attention to the following thread, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329702, in particular post number 31.
    Poster (ivanthehunter) makes comments about "prods".
    I feel that this is shedding an extremely poor light on the shooting forum.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You are better off reporting the post than starting a thread here on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jordon

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Being a regular poster in this forum, I would like to draw attention to the following thread, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329702, in particular post number 31.

Thanks.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I had a look at that and I see the thread is now locked. Comments like that are not welcome in any forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Would you not agree that a ban is deserved?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fudd, I was in Kilkenny, Rovi and IRLConor were at family functions and Vegeta was away as well. The thread wasn't being ignored, and the mods were actually discussing sanctions before you reported the thread, posted another thread in Shooting decrying it, and posted this thread here.
    It's not that I don't appreciate the enthusiasm, but just hitting the report post button was all that was required (and in fact several people beat you to it and I even wound up getting sms messages about it on the way back up to Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

No problem sparks.

Wasn't a reflection on the modding of the forum at all. I just got a bit p****d off. Apologies.

If that was posted in any of the forums I mod I would certainly deal with the user. Im not saying whether I would ban or infract as there are other things to consider.

However that is not on my watch and its down entirely to the mods of the shooting forum as to what they want to do with the post and the poster if anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I'm just glad he didn't use the word "muslim". Then again trespass is a relatively new law. It was only brought in very late in the 19th century.

Surprisingly,
    Methodists and Presbyterians in the 18th century were considered non conformists and were also not allowed to run for elections as were catholics until 1829 and jews etc. And it wasn't until 1788 that catholics were allowed the right to vote.

Protestants are historically very "ahem" strict conformists and I find the remark no more offense than one saying that catholics are more likely to visit rome than muslims. The reason perhaps Principally because the Pope resides there.

This is similar to the problem I am having in life at the moment. An oath it seems is can dominate every fibre of your life. An oath is far more important than a political religion. The uneccessary and induglent breaking of any oath was a very fashionable career move in ireland. That I believe is why so many Ambitious and professional people are such liars. A kind of vain piety.

Maybe it was the oath that destroyed the porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

pirelli wrote: »
    Protestants are historically very "ahem" strict conformists
    I've actually seen a different side to Protestants historically - as very liberal, tolerant and philanthropic. I could give a number of examples, but one which stands out is the Limerick pogrom - the only people who attempted to help the Jews experiencing persecution were members of the Protestant community.

Dudess wrote: »
    I've actually seen a different side to Protestants historically - as very liberal, tolerant and philanthropic. I could give a number of examples, but one which stands out is the Limerick pogrom - the only people who attempted to help the Jews experiencing persecution were members of the Protestant community.

It is very easy live in the countryside and work locally and keep very strong ties with the roman catholic church in Rome, whilst a large majority fester in the urban cities and feel they are martyers to a cause better suited to country towns, they feel alienated by both the pope and the society. To be allowed to keep you religion, but swear an oath to the crown was in some situations the only way to put food on their childrens plates, or to send their loved one to university. More than likely however it was probably a trend that saw many young people seek recognition and education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Take it to Christianity kids.

Historical and socio-economic analysis of this area is interesting in it's own right, but I'm sorry to say that I do not believe the subject of the original complaint was in any way influenced by such analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Amz wrote: »
    Take it to Christianity kids.

Guns and Christianity, bad mix.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Guns and Christianity, bad mix.:eek:

Add in homophobia, bizarre Southern accents and an elephant and you've got The Republican Party.

I clicked the link to thread, and I have to admit it was a good thread and i enjoyed reading it. I forgot to mention the picture eoinkildare has and Not forgetting to mention the dead bunnies with their brains splattered out. Who the hell shows photos of splattered bunny brains.That's offensive.

I hope you ate that bunny afterwards. It's only natural if its part of the food chain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks.

Spot the prod. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Spot the prod. :pac:

Oach!

Think i'll open the Pringles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He also made comments about Dubs, and I'm not offended in the least.

Grow a thicker skin FFS.

Have to agree. If it was something personal, fair enough, but it's a rather silly but harmless generalisation.

seamus wrote: »
    He also made comments about Dubs, and I'm not offended in the least.

Grow a thicker skin FFS.
    Dubs are naturally thick skinned anyhow, aren't they? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

People contacted mods in RL about it they thought it so bad, so we can take it that people were offended by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you start a thread in feedback to back seat mod rather then report the post ?

muffler wrote: »
    Dubs are naturally thick anyhow, aren't they? ;)
    FYP :p

I knew there was something wrong with that post :D

And you know, if it wasn't for the endless Cork-bashing I probably wouldn't have taken such a petty measure.

I didn't give a **** about being from Cork before, but those Dubs have just helped to galvanise my local pride :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No, it's shedding an extremely poor light on the user ivanthehunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Dudess wrote: »

I didn't give a **** about being from Cork

Can't blame ya!! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gordon wrote: »
    No, it's shedding an extremely poor light on the user ivanthehunter.

Can't shed light that is shod anyway.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its ignorant enough to offend and worth a slap and a temp ban most likely. The shooting mods are on it anyway.

With all the territorialism going on... I wonder if we could get the shooters to go surfing.

(I said that out loud didnt I...)

DeV.

• Advertisement

I doubt it Dev, it's hard enough to aim when you're standing on concrete, let alone fiberglass.

Advertisement