Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 Sandwich Horrors

• 27-07-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

If you live on take-out/brought-in sandwiches you might want to check out Channel 4 Dispatches at 8 pm Monday which goes undercover and films the apparently dirty environment they are prepared in and what they contain.

Mike/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Yeah seen the ad for it the other day, I buy sambo's on my lunch break everyday thinking I was being healthy so this programme will be interesting. Might start me making my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yuk! Put you right off. Subway sales might suffer for a day or two

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Man, I was amazed that M&S Sandwich had more fat than TWO Mcdonalds Double cheeseburgers!!!!

"Ahhh, I think I'll go the healthy option today n' have me a double cheeseburger..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Man, I was amazed that M&S Sandwich had more fat than TWO Mcdonalds Double cheeseburgers!!!!

Is this info not readily available on the sandwich packet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Nutritional info available on M&S sandwiches yes. Not on Subway ones, info only on their website (would you actually look up a website before popping out for lunch to see nutritional values? eh not me...) According to researchers on lasts nights Dispatches, a Meatball Marinara from Subway has more salt than equiv of 9 packs of crisps... i.e. the six inch sub. The footlong, double it....over 18 packets of crisps worth of salt, and people love those sandwiches, all the guys at my job buy them. EEk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I had a fair idea that bought out sandwiches contain as much bad stuff as fast food so i realise im not making a 'healthy choice' when i eat one... But its scary how many people dont realise what they are putting into their mouths!! My boyfriend thinks as long as food is cooked at home (be that in the frying pan or deep fat fryer) that its automagically healthier than eating out?? Go figure?? I must sit him down and explain that one to him soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Babooshka wrote: »
    Not on Subway ones, info only on their website
    They have the calorific content and the amount of fat in each sambo on their napkins AFAIK? No salt content though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Man, the factory looked so dodgy with all the food all over the floor and rubbish all over the place. Really putting me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Ahhh, I think I'll go the healthy option today n' have me a double cheeseburger..."

Nothing in it shocked me TBH. Burgers are not overly bad, and are quite small in comparison to some sandwiches. The show demonised fat, especially saturated fat. I am not sure if it did have more overall fat, or just saturated fat.

It talked about saturated fat as though it was without a doubt a bad thing, and many people do doubt that.

The info is on many packs, I just don't bother reading the fronts except to amuse myself with the latest marketing scam they came up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

rubadub wrote: »

The info is on many packs, I just don't bother reading the fronts except to amuse myself with the latest marketing scam they came up with.

Well said...the marketing people these days have turned the desire for clean labels into a joke.

So now everything we eat has reduced salt,trans fat free,no artificial colours or flavours....even to the extent of riding nature identical flavours and colours..reducing acrilamyde levels in some foods..crazy stuff.

God knows what food will be like in 10 years time....that is if you can still afford to buy food then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Who would ever think those foot-long subs were anything but unhealthy?:confused:

I thought the most interesting bit was when the expert on salt was explaining that some people need much more salt than others to get the same effect.

Also, that after cutting down for 4 weeks, less salt is needed to get the salty taste.

Makes a lot of sense...I see guys in work lamping salt all over their food before even tasting it. i wouldn't be able to eat their food with that much on it.

Advertisement