Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange X process

• 27-07-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Well I think it is anyway.

My machine was lagging a little this evening and top told me that Firefox was the culprit - it was highest in memory processes - someday they'll fix that damn memory leak.

But I also noticed this process and I have no idea what it is:
    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                         
     5534 root      15   0 84404  62m  12m S    3  3.1   9:33.07 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7

Anyone know?

[edit]Yes I know what X is - but I've never noticed it before and the fact that it mentions tcp in it concerns me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

That's your X server process. The '-nolisten tcp' is actually telling it not to listen for incoming TCP connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ok thanks - so nothing I need to worry about then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Macros42 wrote: »
    ok thanks - so nothing I need to worry about then :)

Nope. Nothing to worry about. The ignorning of incoming TCP connections can be trouble you don't want though if you're using the machine remotely. It has bitten me in the butt before.

"but I xhost plus'd!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

!!!!

And you the man who told be about FreeNX :p

Maybe this is why it won't work! Get your ass into IRC tomorrow at some stage and we can talk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nah, that's not your trouble for freenx. Will hop on IRC at some stage later. o/

• Advertisement
Advertisement